Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tap Code for MATSUURA VX1000

7 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

You'll always have issues tapping on those machines in gummy materials. I would bet it is a combination of the Machine's accuracy, and the holders you are using.

You could solve all of these issues by changing strategy.

Thread Mill the holes, so you gain process control, and reliability.

Thread Milling is superior to cut tapping, because you don't have the reversal of the spindle to worry about. All of your crappy Tool Holder issues go away. (Well, mostly. You still need a good, low-run out Holder to hold the Thread Mill.)

If you get "multi-tooth" Thread Mills, they will cut the whole thread with 2 passes. A Rough, and a Finish.

You must use "helical Entry", and "helical Exit" for internal holes.

Hi Colin,
  This program was created nearly 4 years ago with the "EXACT COPY" from LAM RESEARCH demands and we cannot change it.  That's why we are crazy with this issue.

Thankful for your great info.

i'll add this:-

was the same holder/tool used in the makino (to eliminate run out)?

same tap

same coolant and strength

same core drill size

all these things make a HUGE difference...

Gummy materials are a PITA. Thread mill wins in these situations.

Tap geometry also makes a HUGE difference - whether the tap has radial clearance as well as axial clearance on its grinding. Whether the thing is nice and polished (bright silver) with no coating? Companies tell me coating is great and "specially for ally" - nope, I've never used a successful coated tap in ally. Shiny polished no coating every day for me.

And coolant at 10%.  Yes, the companies will say you can run at 4 ort 5% but oil it up and these probs can go away.

HTH

Harvey Tool:

1/4-20 .195 .750 3 1/4 2-1/2 987144 $129.50 987144-C3 $135.70

http://www.harveytool.com/prod/Thread-Milling-Cutters/Holemaking---Threading/Browse-Our-Products_271/Thread-Milling-Cutters---Multi-Form-Long-Flute_270.aspx

If you insist with trying to Tap on a machine like your Matsuura, then you should at least get a decent Tap Holder.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/products/Pages/productdetails.aspx?c=970-V40-25-122

Your main issue is going to be the synchronization of the Spindle and your Z Axis.

2 minutes ago, PcRobotic said:

Hi Colin,
  This program was created nearly 4 years ago with the "EXACT COPY" from LAM RESEARCH demands and we cannot change it.  That's why we are crazy with this issue.

Thankful for your great info.

I understand this. I work with "Frozen" processes all the time. Sometimes I am successful at convincing the customer that "The part is functionally, exactly the same". Sometimes, they won't listen, and insist on doing things the "approved" way.

In that case, follow Newbeee's advice and look to a "perfect tap", in a "perfect Tap Holder". I don't care what they say, you can change the holder. It is a WEAR item, and should be replaced when obsolete, with the best hardware you can get.

How are you holding it now? I would bet money that you just have that Tap sitting in a ER Collet.

another thing - I had an issue the other month with an M10x1 tapped hole.

working for an OEM (commercial) so we went to a 9.1 drill, but also used a floating holder and our prob (similar to yours) went away.

Now, tell me again about "sealed proven processes"?

And you're running this "sealed proven process" on a new machine, which is errrrr probably considerably different to the machine that they sealed their process on years ago?

:D

You may have luck with this type of tap too. If you can get them, but you could always get a std one ground.

It does help in preventing pick-up "on the way out".

And yes, changing your tapping cycle parameters to standard in/out, rather than high speed option of  in/2xspeedout is also a good move.

Capture.JPG