Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas generic 5x post question

msg

Im trying to create a program for our new Haas vf4 with the TR200y 5 axis rotary table (trunion). I believe the generic pp thinks the rotary rotates about the X axis, we are setting it up to rotate about the Y axis and tilt about the X axis. Is there an easy way to edit the generic post?  Thanks.

I'm not at work so I don't have access to a real working copy of Mastercam. But have you tried going into the Machine definition and manipulating the trunnion in the machine definition.Not sure if that will give you what you want post processor wise. But it will need to be done regardless if Iam correct. One of the experts will surely chime in at some point.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Not an easy way to just change the generic post.

FYI none of the Generic 5 Axis post have the Machine Definition Manager hooked up to them. For this you will need to contact a 3rd Party.

Yea thats what it looks like in the machine definition parameters, I cant change the orientation of the a,b axis.  When I go to that page its just grayed out and you cant select anything.

thank you for your help.

You need to change your post. 
Try these settings.
#Primary axis angle description (in machine base terms)
#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis must be the XY plane
rotaxis1$ = vecx  #Zero       
rotdir1$  = vecy #Direction  

#Secondary axis angle description (in machine base terms)
#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis and this plane normal
#are aligned to calculate the secondary angle 
rotaxis2$ = vecz  #Zero        
rotdir2$  = -vecx  #Direction
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, MSL said:

You need to change your post. 
Try these settings.

#Primary axis angle description (in machine base terms)
#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis must be the XY plane
rotaxis1$ = vecx  #Zero       
rotdir1$  = vecy #Direction  

#Secondary axis angle description (in machine base terms)
#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis and this plane normal
#are aligned to calculate the secondary angle 
rotaxis2$ = vecz  #Zero        
rotdir2$  = -vecx  #Direction

ok I made the change and it didnt work. I edited the post and saved a copy, I put it in the post directory. I than went in the machine control def manager and changed the the post to the one I edited and saved it. When I post I get these error messages and it still doesnt post in the correct orientation in x and y. Im sure Im doing something wrong.

Thank you so much for your time.

Capture11.PNG

Capture12.PNG

On 12/8/2017 at 4:24 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

The. pst and. psb need to have the exact same name.  So copy the original .psb and name it the same as the new copy of your edited post.

Boom! looks like that did the trick.  Let me play with it some more, thank you guys very much!!!!

On 12/6/2017 at 2:18 PM, msg said:

Im trying to create a program for our new Haas vf4 with the TR200y 5 axis rotary table (trunion). I believe the generic pp thinks the rotary rotates about the X axis, we are setting it up to rotate about the Y axis and tilt about the X axis. Is there an easy way to edit the generic post?  Thanks.

Ok, I think the way I worded this was incorrect. We need the rotary (A axis)  to rotate about the x axis and the tilt (B axis) to rotate about the y axis, I had it backwards. We are mounting the tr200 just like in this video.  When I post my program its posting the A axis as the B axis. X and Y is posting correctly.  Thanks guys.

That is a B/C setup

Tilts around the B rotates about the C

Don't fall for the old Haas AB setup.....everything with Haas was AB,,,,,,I just went through this with a contract customer....he had an AC set up...it ran as an AB but to get his Dynamic Offset to work properly, he had to go back in a set it up properly an an A/C

Edited by Guest
31 minutes ago, JParis said:

That is a B/C setup

Don't fall for the old Haas AB setup.....everything with Haas was AB,,,,,,I just went through this with a contract customer....he had an AC set up...it ran as an AB but to get his Dynamic Offset to work properly, he had to go back in a set it up properly an an A/C

our fadals are set up as A B like the video, so im assuming it would be  A/C if the trunnion was set up different than the video?   

Capture12.PNG

39 minutes ago, MSL said:

Change the sign of rotdir1to + or -.

rotdir1$ = -vecy #Direction    This is for your primary axis              

Secondary axis is rotdir2$

Looks like its ok now, I will keep playing with it.  Thank you for all you help.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 10:14 AM, JParis said:

That is a B/C setup

Well you are correct it is b/c, the dynamic work offsets wont work if I configure the machine to a/b. So my question is how do I change the axis destination in my generic post?

B needs to be tilt and C needs to be rotary. 

thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. 

Generic Haas VF-TR200Y_Series 5X Mill.pst

15 hours ago, MSL said:

Try this settings.

# 5 Axis Rotary Settings
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
#Assign axis address
str_pri_axis : "C"
str_sec_axis : "B"
str_dum_axis : "A"

I think that worked.  My next post for our fadals will be made by in-house, I have the quote already. 

thank you very much, I will update on how everything works.

• Like 1

So Im having an interesting issue, if I post a sequence individually it posts the b/c correctly, but if I post multiple sequences its not rotating the c axis correctly. Its trying to force a b axis move. Im assuming I need to change something in the post? Look at sequence #8, its at b-90.c-90.  Sequence #9 next should be rotating to c90. but its trying to go to b90. instead.  Btw, seq 7 thru 11 only have the correct wcs and t/c plane. I still need to change the other sequences once I get this fixed. Time for a drink lol.

thanks guys!

23 hours ago, msg said:

So Im having an interesting issue, if I post a sequence individually it posts the b/c correctly, but if I post multiple sequences its not rotating the c axis correctly. Its trying to force a b axis move. Im assuming I need to change something in the post? Look at sequence #8, its at b-90.c-90.  Sequence #9 next should be rotating to c90. but its trying to go to b90. instead.  Btw, seq 7 thru 11 only have the correct wcs and t/c plane. I still need to change the other sequences once I get this fixed. Time for a drink lol.

thanks guys!

haas test.mcam

Generic Haas VF-TR200Y_Series 5X Mill.pst

Did you try activating "force tool change" checkbox on op #9 ?

C^Millman gave me that tip in 2007

2 hours ago, mkd said:

Did you try activating "force tool change" checkbox on op #9 ?

C^Millman gave me that tip in 2007

Well that actually worked but I cant have the machine do a g28 for every new rotation, is it a post issue or something im doing in mcam?  Thats the million dollar question lol.

thanks so much! 

1 hour ago, msg said:

Well that actually worked but I cant have the machine do a g28 for every new rotation, is it a post issue or something im doing in mcam?  Thats the million dollar question lol.

thanks so much! 

Gotta get into misc integers 9 & 10.

Lol drunk duplicate