Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ball nose taper mills...?

Haven't done a ton of digging yet, but looking for a good supplier for ball nose taper end mills. Need something with a relatively large radius (1/4-3/8") and probably around a 30-45 taper angle (included angle). Trying to find something to use more as a form cutter on some of our parts. Feature is basically a V groove with a radius at the bottom, which we're approximating by slotting with progressively smaller ball end mills. They are our product, so we have a good bit of leeway on design and can adapt to whatever we can get, within reason.

Supervisor squashed that idea in favor of getting shell mill arbor live tool holders for the lathes. Didn't even know they make those, but I'm a mill programmer mostly. more importantly though, got the discussion going on why we are making the parts the way we do and where we can go from our current situation.

I refuse to accept the answer "because that's just the way we've always done it."

1 hour ago, Charlie Pierson said:

I you are using a HMC  index it to 45 degrees then use a bullnose straight endmill  for the entire V groove.

Flutes get one side of the 'V', the bottom of the endmill gets the other side of the 'V'.

Dynamic toolpaths will also make quick work of it.

Was looking into a solution that could be used on the lathes that don't have a Y axis so we'd need to be on center line. I do that on the mills sometimes if I can get away with it.