Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating curves on import or manually - different result

Thad

I don't remember if I asked this before or not, so here goes.

Why do I get different results when I create edge curves on import vs creating edge curves manually after importing? Creating edge curves on import creates a lot of extra curves that shouldn't be there. It just adds unneeded fluff to the file and my OCD requires me to delete the extra fluff. I typically import Inventor and SW files.

The first image is what I get when creating curves on import. See how the top and bottom of the holes are all connected? The extra curves on the radii?

The second image is what I get when I create the curves manually (Create curves - All edges). Nothing extra here. Only edges that truly exist.

My intent is not to turn this into a "I only create curves for what I need to machine." or "Just create toolpaths directly from the solid." topic.

imported.jpg

created.jpg

I'm certainly not trying to turn it into that sort of post, I'm more asking out of ignorance. What is the purpose of creating those edge curves? I'm curious more then anything. I always program off the solid. 

But to answer your question to the best of my ability. It appears like its doing the Xform>translate>join trick where it connects the upper and lower together. Your way of doing it seems more legit though cause when you chain it won't stop at branch point. (Unless that's just how my chaining is set up)

9 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

I don't use every one but it looks better to me

I also think it's easier to analyze dimensions with the curves

Along with those reasons, I probably do 90% 2D and 10% 3D programming. The solid/surfaces just seem to get in the way of a lot of things.

• Like 1

I'm under the impression that curves created during import are created by the solid modelling importer.  It's not a case of Mastercam quietly running Create Curves after the solid model is imported.  I just wish I had some written confirmation of that for you; I was told about this a long time ago - like back in the X4 days when I was trying to trace a bug in Create Curves with CNC.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, Machineguy said:

creating curves on a import is a 3d mode. Your model is 3d.

Doing it manually your in 2d mode. as in the hole, you put a curve on the top and the bottom. There is no connection as in a line between the upper and lower hole.

Are you referring to MC's 2D or 3D mode, because if you are, I'm not convinced that has anything to do with it. If you're referring to the way MC 2017/18's create curve functionality has been changed (I'm not totally up to speed on that since I'm still using X9, but I know there are some differences from previous versions).

Regardless of what mode MC happens to be in, no actual edge exists where some of the edges are created on import (quadrants of arcs).

On 12/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, Rich Thomas 4D Engineering said:

I'm under the impression that curves created during import are created by the solid modelling importer.  It's not a case of Mastercam quietly running Create Curves after the solid model is imported. 

This sounds more like it.

I never create Wireframe Geometry on import. Why create it, if you aren't going to use it? I create Wireframe, as I need it. I prefer using Surfaces and Wireframe for the Toolpaths I create, because it gives me control over the paths. (If you drive everything off the solid, you can't make any changes to the solid, without having to regenerate the paths.)

Another reason I do it this way is to make sure I can modify surfaces, or extend/trim Wireframe when necessary. Often I need to extend a surface or boundary, to get my tool past the remaining Stock that is left on the part.

• Like 4

As a test I ran the same port through create curves while importing...and then I used create curves all edges....

I got 2 different results.....

I am guessing there is 2 different processes in use.......

2 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

The extra curves are not edge curves (?)

No, they're not. There are no edges where those curves reside. The second image I posted shows all the edge curves. Anything in the first picture that is not in the second picture is fluff that just clutters the file.

Again, my question is not "How much wireframe do you guys create to machine your files?" It's why is there a difference between the two when MC creates the edge curves for me.

1 hour ago, Thad said:

Again, my question is not "How much wireframe do you guys create to machine your files?" It's why is there a difference between the two when MC creates the edge curves for me.

So when you create curves on import does it specifically state edge curves, or just curves (or wireframe), never having done it myself.....