Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Making 2018 the default open application

So not a Guru

6 minutes ago, newbeeee said:

Some times it's best to ad a send to option rather than open with.

Gcode had a post about how to do it. It may show if you do a search

Hmm, I always have difficulty using this sites search function. I've searched using several different phrases, but I just get "no results found". I even tried 2017 to 2018, nada.

I know there is a way to get it done in the registry, I just haven't found the correct spot yet.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/31/2020 at 10:43 PM, Dane Stahlman said:

Update 2020 and 2019 still wants to be the default, even if I pick it from the program folder it still go back to 2019?

As Jaco mentioned above you need to set it to open with "McamVersionSelector Executable" To do this first go to the start menu and search for "choose default apps by file type" this should take you to your file type list, then set .mcam to be opened with the "McamVersionSelector Executable"

My coworker is having this problem but its not with his .mcam, its his .step files are opening in 2018. He just mentioned it the other day and I tried to change it and no luck, it just kept reverting to 2018. I go into that default apps by type, and it doesn't give him the option to select McamVersionSelector Executable. Any other ideas?

2 hours ago, jwvt88 said:

My coworker is having this problem but its not with his .mcam, its his .step files are opening in 2018. He just mentioned it the other day and I tried to change it and no luck, it just kept reverting to 2018. I go into that default apps by type, and it doesn't give him the option to select McamVersionSelector Executable. Any other ideas?

do you still need 2018 on the system? Cuz if you dont use that version you could uninstall it, so only mastercam 2020 is installed. Then set your Open with options to use Mastercam.exe for any .step file. If there is only one version of mastercam on the pc then that is the only version it will be able to open it with. That would be the easiest fix so if you only use the latest version removing the old version wold be an easy fix to prevent it from opening with that older version.