Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi axis drilling from ID

Tommueller

Hi

I'm trying to use the hole axis button so I can use that to drill holes on the outside of the part on a 5 axis. But for some reason it drills from the inside and than it goes to the outside. 

I have tried to select just the points, points and lines, lines, .... 

The only way I can get it to work is to make my clearance in Linking a minus number. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance 

Capture.PNG

collision control.PNG

cut pattern.PNG

linking.PNG

Tool axis control.PNG

Under "Entity Type" I like to use points and lines... when you use "Hole Axis" it gives the option of points top/bottom/both... I put the points on the bottom, then when you select the points under "Entity Type" the line direction from the points controls the vector.

• Like 1

When you use lines to define geometry for muliaxis drilling, it matters what end of the line you select for chaining.

If you select the line from the bottom of the hole, you should be able to use the positive incremental values that you would expect.

In my mind, this seems a little backwards because you would think that you would chain in the direction that you want to drill.

Safest way is to extend the line out from the surface (so towards where you want the cutter to come from) and then trim it back to the point at the start of the hole. Now when you select them choose points and lines and select the point at the end of the line. Now with the axis line only extending in one direction there is only one control direction possible. Use the linking page to get the required depth, clearance etc

Apparently we will finally see the option to create these drill control lines "above" and only above the hole with the model prep hole axis function in a future release saving the laborious task of extending and trimming them back manually.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Apparently we will finally see the option to create these drill control lines "above" and only above the hole with the model prep hole axis function in a future release saving the laborious task of extending and trimming them back manually.

Hot Dog :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Safest way is to extend the line out from the surface (so towards where you want the cutter to come from) and then trim it back to the point at the start of the hole. Now when you select them choose points and lines and select the point at the end of the line. Now with the axis line only extending in one direction there is only one control direction possible. Use the linking page to get the required depth, clearance etc

This is exactly what I do

• Like 1