Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Models and Opti-Rough

crazy^millman

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, BenK said:

I think one reason you don't see more people complaining about stock models is a lot of people simply don't use them. 

True - lots of people aren't interested in pushing boundaries or getting things done faster. They plod on so Daniels commend of V9.1 is true for a lot of people. It would still get the job done...

I only used upto X9 so can't speak for 17/18 versions, but it worked well. The main frustration was occasionally getting its nickers in a twist with the from outside/from inside greyed out box. Delete the op and start again seemed to fix it...

Granted, prismatic shapes (electrical enclosures) was my bag which was simpler shapes and complexity than what a lot of you guys do, average 50>75operations, and I rarely saw problems. But I'd start with a stock model, optirough, create another stock model, rest rough that, then 'gram to the end of the set-up using predominantly 2D paths (or the odd flowline for scanning).

Then for next setup (G55) - I'd create another stock model, and go from there (optirest usually). 

Where I also found stock models to score for me, was create one and have it as the last operation (compared to finish model) as I was 'grammin. So when the phone went or I was interrupted for any reason, I could click on the stock model and see where I'd got to - because the highlighted model would show what was still left to do.

• Like 1

Just for the record, Edgecam suffers from the same regeneration issues with their stock models. 

The whole industry suffers from it concerning 3D toolpaths. 

But some suffer a lot less than others. The French are 10 years ahead of everybody else in this field. 

Just saying... 

3 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Daniel are you referring to TopSolid?

Yes.

Up to 2 1/2 axes they´re unbeatable in regards stock recognition. Especially for MillTurn.

For 3 axes, they also have to tesselate like everyone, but from what I saw 5 years ago they´re better than what is being delivered today. I expect that they got it even better in V7.

A good example that shows those who start to develop before others are likely to have it better than competition in the long run.

Missler started with this 16 years ago or more. Stock recognition is only available in competitor systems in the last 3 or something...

• Like 3

I use stock models all the time, they do break sometimes, but overall I find them very beneficial. I use them to minimize air cuts on 5X swarfs, they work great as the "one operation" stock in a lot of other toolpaths as well.

I didn't get started with MC until X9, so I'm not very familiar with using stls, I've done it a few times, but it seemed like more work to me. Probably just that I'm used to the stock model functionality.

Thank for the follow up Ron on the whole Opti rough and boundary box issues with stock model. I agree that this has become more painful over the last few releases for sure.

I feel I fight this more these days then in the past. just want to start on the outside and see the stock that is there.

Welcome to the new Year.

• Like 2
On 12/28/2017 at 4:27 PM, C^Millman said:

That was fixed in the 2018 either SP2 or SP3.

I remember what I was referring to with Stock Models....

it's the toolpaths that keep being highlighted when I make a stock model.

I have to do a random combination of ALT+T and manually click the "Toggle Display on Selected Operations" button to get future toolpaths to stop auto-highlighting.

Am I missing the secret here?

1 minute ago, jeff said:

I remember what I was referring to with Stock Models....

it's the toolpaths that keep being highlighted when I make a stock model.

I have to do a random combination of ALT+T and manually click the "Toggle Display on Selected Operations" button to get future toolpaths to stop auto-highlighting.

Am I missing the secret here?

Do you have them as source operations? If you do then when you regenerate the stock model then it will highlight them until it has gathered all the NCI information to regenerate the stock model.

1 minute ago, C^Millman said:

Do you have them as source operations? If you do then when you regenerate the stock model then it will highlight them until it has gathered all the NCI information to regenerate the stock model.

No.

For example I'll create some paths, then a stock model.

Under that stock model I'll create another path, and the display for that path is turned on. Is that how it's supposed to work?

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:11 PM, C^Millman said:

Problem is how big the file size gets which is the flip side of the equation.

I get round this by having building an STL. library as I program in a separate folder. When the part goes into production I transfer the library to the Part Folder.

Again, not without it's problems, sometimes have to reselect the STLs. But I always get a warning.........and because the STL files are not in the program file I don't get any slow down on the part file.....

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

I get round this by having building an STL. library as I program in a separate folder. When the part goes into production I transfer the library to the Part Folder.

Again, not without it's problems, sometimes have to reselect the STLs. But I always get a warning.........and because the STL files are not in the program file I don't get any slow down on the part file.....

If I was doing my own work I would go with this process and never look back, but since I am programming for others always this approach will not work and have lost a major customer over this process in the past.