Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dissolving medium

dan_acnc@hotmail.com

I am machining a delrin part in my CNC mill. we have already turned this part on the lathe and it had a large undercut on the part . I have to cut out almost 1/2 of the sidewall out in a specific shape but it is a thin wall piece and because of the undercut i cant put a plug in it so i end up with chatter issues.

For a better description imagine machining a 2 liter pop bottle between centers in a mill making a square pocket for 180 degrees.

Does anyone know of a medium I could pour in cut out my shape. then dissolve with either mild heat, thinners/alcohol or water?  

Thank you in advance for the help

• 2 weeks later...

I would second JParis' idea.   We always used plaster to hold our parts when having to machine undercuts or for multiple setup prototype parts.  However, if you have to pour it into a cavity or "bottle", you would have a very hard time getting that stuff out.  We used wax a few times to hold parts but we never had to melt it to remove it.