Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thin walls getting turned on in Extrude solid for no reason?

crazy^millman

I just sent this to QC.

from time to time you are extruding solids and the process fails. I will go fix the issue with either overlapping chains for not touching entities and then will go to do what I was doing it will fail again and I get perplexed as to why and I will go back to my chains and see what I missed. I may do this 3 or 4 times before I think to check to see if the thin walls got turned on. Sure enough it does a lot of the time. Can someone explain what the reasoning is for this behavior?

Is anyone else seeing this happen?

I love the fact that an open chain creates  thin walls .  I do all my groove cooling channels using this feature . Just one snaky  chain  meandering  between the ejector holes and you 

have the cooling channel,  Create Curve on all Edges  from tht groove and an offset  to that geometry and  the next  extrude  thin cut is the o-ring channel next  to it.5a599b0fd3aef_o-ringchannel.thumb.png.b260c65e8d69d75d0784f6c72fc93815.png

11 hours ago, pullo said:

I love the fact that an open chain creates  thin walls .  I do all my groove cooling channels using this feature . Just one snaky  chain  meandering  between the ejector holes and you 

have the cooling channel,  Create Curve on all Edges  from tht groove and an offset  to that geometry and  the next  extrude  thin cut is the o-ring channel next  to it.5a599b0fd3aef_o-ringchannel.thumb.png.b260c65e8d69d75d0784f6c72fc93815.png

I guess it is has just been so ingrained into my head working with Mastercam Solids all your chains for solids must be closed I never tried to use open chains. My question is why does it turn thin wall on in the advanced tab? Why cant this be on the primary tab if this is going to be the process? You grab an open chain the software is automatically making it thin wall, but you will not knowthe software has done it? I am all about making anyone's job easier, but if the software automagically changes defaults shouldn't the user be aware it is doing it or have the ability to change that autmagically behavior?

I have never seen this but thru the frustration of using mcam for solids I have developmental issues.  I am so OCD about my chains I check and recheck prior to picking chains.  It's like Rainman and throwing a jar of marbles on the floor, I just HAVE to count them.

You DO KNOW THAT X5 was the last time we had a comprehensive document coming from CNC software  ?  It's called the Reference Guide or The Manual.  From then on all the information about the program has become fragmented , so you can only try your luck with Help or notice something on You Tube, or ask here and then there is What's New.  I believe the  What's New  s'  if published in one document  and added to the Ref Guide would form a pretty coherent document  of what we are up against today.

When I asked about the lack of an updated Ref Guide (several times) I was told the users did not want a Ref Guide ....

But back to the core issue, I believe I discovered this feature by mistake when I accidentally created  an  open chain , just like You did  :).  SO plz don't ask to change that . ...

Gracjan

On 1/14/2018 at 5:09 AM, pullo said:

You DO KNOW THAT X5 was the last time we had a comprehensive document coming from CNC software  ?  It's called the Reference Guide or The Manual.  From then on all the information about the program has become fragmented , so you can only try your luck with Help or notice something on You Tube, or ask here and then there is What's New.  I believe the  What's New  s'  if published in one document  and added to the Ref Guide would form a pretty coherent document  of what we are up against today.

When I asked about the lack of an updated Ref Guide (several times) I was told the users did not want a Ref Guide ....

But back to the core issue, I believe I discovered this feature by mistake when I accidentally created  an  open chain , just like You did  :).  SO plz don't ask to change that . ...

Gracjan

They have their own YouTube channel that usually they keep up to date with the "What's New" videos and some "tips and tricks" videos. I've found some of them to be pretty helpful.