Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hello Friends,

I am editing my tool list template using ActiveReports Designer and I am running into a problem.

I want to have my MCX file name in the report so that operators can see the part number and the revision level (which we put in our file name).

I made a text box and input "MCXFILE-SHORT" in the DataField, but it just gives me a blank box when i create the report. I'm not sure what the problem is. Can you not put the MCX filename in a Tool List report?

One thing I have noticed is that under "fields" my "bound"  field says "bound error: could not find a part of the path "C:\Windows\SST\Samples\Mill\SSM.xml". Woudl this be causeing my error? If so, how do I fix it?

Many thanks in advance

tool list sample.pdf

I spoke too soon.

When exporting from the tool manager it used a different template (mill-simple instead of mill-opmgr). The filename I saw was from the regular template with the "LIBNAME" data field. I changed that to MCXFILE-SHORT, and it didn't work. The interesting thing is that LIBNAME isn't a registered data entry value in the help guide.

LIBNAME doesn't work for my because it's the full tile name including the path, and I don't want the path, just the filename.

Any thoughts?

Easy fix for your error. Click on the little icon right next to the word "Detail" in the body of your report and make sure it looks like the picture attached. This is the default location for reports. if you had any custom work done to it then this fix might not work.

Once this is fixed you should see in the upper right corner the property fields. Click on the plus next to fields, then bound, then document, then setupsheet and in that list you should see MCXFILE-SHORT drag that into your report and it should work. No need to spend more money for stuff that is already there.

bound.PNG

• Like 1
On 1/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, gms1 said:

Easy fix for your error. Click on the little icon right next to the word "Detail" in the body of your report and make sure it looks like the picture attached. This is the default location for reports. if you had any custom work done to it then this fix might not work.

Once this is fixed you should see in the upper right corner the property fields. Click on the plus next to fields, then bound, then document, then setupsheet and in that list you should see MCXFILE-SHORT drag that into your report and it should work. No need to spend more money for stuff that is already there.

bound.PNG

gms1,

Thank you for the reply. I gave that a try, I changed the file URL, I dragged the "MCXFILE-SHORT" into the sheet fro the bound list. And still no dice.

I think at this point I have determined that MC doesn't feed a file name field into the tool list report, only into a setup sheet report.

27 minutes ago, DUM1 said:

SO THE FILE NAME AND LOCATION ON THE TOOL LIST IS WHAT YOU'RE TRYING FOR? AFTER EDITING TEMPLATE YO NEED TO GO THROUGH THE CONFIG FILE AND DIRECT THE PATH TO THE NEW TEMPLATE RIGHT?

Dum1,

I am saving over my template file, so it's already directed at it (I can see the changes as I am saving the file and re-generating the tool list).

I only want the file name to show up (in your example: HAAS UMC-750 5X MILL SAMPLE FILE.MCX-9) not the entire file path.

The basic tool list template uses the data field "LIBNAME" to put the full file name and path in there. I've tried making a sub report in my tool list template that references "//SETUPSHEET" and used the data field "MCXFILE-SHORT" but that just generates an empty field.

Thank you for trying to help me!

Edited by Luke.Hicks430
Changed "subdoc" to "sub report" for clarity
50 minutes ago, Luke.Hicks430 said:

Dum1,

I am saving over my template file, so it's already directed at it (I can see the changes as I am saving the file and re-generating the tool list).

I only want the file name to show up (in your example: HAAS UMC-750 5X MILL SAMPLE FILE.MCX-9) not the entire file path.

The basic tool list template uses the data field "LIBNAME" to put the full file name and path in there. I've tried making a sub report in my tool list template that references "//SETUPSHEET" and used the data field "MCXFILE-SHORT" but that just generates an empty field.

Thank you for trying to help me!

Ahh sorry I thought you were referring to the main report in the common/reports/SST folder. I only use that one and when I generate mine I always click setupsheet not tool list. I tried editing the template in Program Files\Mcam2018\common\SharedDefaults\common\reports\MSC\Tool List(MILL-OPMGR).rpx but i get a read only error/exception even after I  remove the read only setting.

1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Here is how a tool list looks out of Varco reports.

C^Millman,

In that report the library is still "OPERATIONS MANAGER", which is not what I want. I want the file name.

1 hour ago, gms1 said:

Ahh sorry I thought you were referring to the main report in the common/reports/SST folder. I only use that one and when I generate mine I always click setupsheet not tool list. I tried editing the template in Program Files\Mcam2018\common\SharedDefaults\common\reports\MSC\Tool List(MILL-OPMGR).rpx but i get a read only error/exception even after I  remove the read only setting.

gms1,

Yeah we use our setupsheets, I was just hoping for a condensed tool list that I can send out to the shop floor so they can make sure we have all the tools we need on order. Which is what I get with Tool list, I just wanted the filename on it.

2 hours ago, Luke.Hicks430 said:

C^Millman,

In that report the library is still "OPERATIONS MANAGER", which is not what I want. I want the file name.

gms1,

Yeah we use our setupsheets, I was just hoping for a condensed tool list that I can send out to the shop floor so they can make sure we have all the tools we need on order. Which is what I get with Tool list, I just wanted the filename on it.

Would something like this work?

image.thumb.png.f6e31fac80686edfa69996496c77b8ae.png

Here is the file. You cannot assign it to be used by just right clikcing you would have to add this to the tool list.rpx, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Tool List Peregine.rpx

• 3 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, crazy^millman said:

We recommend all of our customer to get in touch with Jim Varco.

Link to Jim

We endorse him because he has an excellent product. We get no commission for anything he does and have bought many seat for our own use. We have helped him do work with SpaceX that is using his reports.

These reports are top notch!

• Like 1