Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid problem PLEASE HELP!

racingjas

Calling all Mastercam modeling wizards.

We are new to solid modeling and are struggling to complete this corner on this model. 

I have extruded the front portion, revolved a portion in the rear and am struggling to sweep the rads and have them join smoothly.

Ahhhhhh!

If you look from the rear view it appears that my surface actually goes beyond the outside diameter. 

Some please point me in the right direction. 

I have enclosed the mcam file and a couple of pics.any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! 

Thanks in advance.

NPD-0102 - 4.75in Panzarotti Rotary Die.mcam

AB4D899C-F771-43DD-ABF9-0A4D41DD87CD.jpeg

4C010EA8-78E4-4941-875B-8E7EF731A447.jpeg

Hello guys, I haven’t finished the model....... that’s why I’m here. 

Jlw, the geometry was all created by me as per the drawing, not taken from a solid model.

there is no solid model available, that’s why I’m making one. The partial model I created was enclosed in the mcam file. 

85 people view this and no one can help?? Come on boys, someone must know what’s happening! 

1 hour ago, racingjas said:

Hello guys, I haven’t finished the model....... that’s why I’m here. 

Jlw, the geometry was all created by me as per the drawing, not taken from a solid model.

there is no solid model available, that’s why I’m making one. The partial model I created was enclosed in the mcam file. 

85 people view this and no one can help?? Come on boys, someone must know what’s happening! 

I don't see a solid in your file.  Just a 2d drawing.

I took your flat pattern and I made it the complete pattern. I then rolled it to the 9.072 Diameter. I then Dynamically transformed it to put on top of your solid. From there I would use it to road map the Solid you need to make. Roll Dies are sometimes best left in the flat pattern and machined that way verse trying to make the solid that represents it. That is not an easy solid to do in a good professional level CAD software IMHO. Might could spend a day and figure out a way to make the solid, but I would just leave it a flat pattern and machine it from there.

I would like to see what a good Solidworks, SpaceClaim or other CAD guy could do with this. I am not saying it cannot be done in Mastercam, just will be some work to make it the correct solid.

image.png.923285295321f877a6225ee15e50c297.png

as you seem to have 2017 , I am sending the corner solid as a step . It  is ready to rock just use boolean. As you can see  from the yellow pick color it is one  entity.  all done in mcam. took about half an hour to  invent the strategy. Here  is also the 2018 file just in case. I had to raise the solid 0.001 otherwise it would not add...5a6980d1de62a_theendresult.thumb.png.5eb920a9c9fffa7b95e46c77994d9ff0.png

corner.stp

Panzarotti Rotary Die 2018 pullo.mcam

20 hours ago, C^Millman said:

I took your flat pattern and I made it the complete pattern. I then rolled it to the 9.072 Diameter. I then Dynamically transformed it to put on top of your solid. From there I would use it to road map the Solid you need to make. Roll Dies are sometimes best left in the flat pattern and machined that way verse trying to make the solid that represents it. That is not an easy solid to do in a good professional level CAD software IMHO. Might could spend a day and figure out a way to make the solid, but I would just leave it a flat pattern and machine it from there.

I would like to see what a good Solidworks, SpaceClaim or other CAD guy could do with this. I am not saying it cannot be done in Mastercam, just will be some work to make it the correct solid.

image.png.923285295321f877a6225ee15e50c297.png

thanks so much for all your input!

If the  guys  don't sweat  a little  , it'll be even harder the next time . You have to ease yourself into it :)

I first created the  upper rail using Xform Roll die , onto a d= 9.072 , just like C^man  and them  using  Xform project I projected a line  pic 1)  to get the second cross section.

1.thumb.png.e78f274ef7e2bf10c92524736247be46.png

2.thumb.png.0d095f133335b5ef76aef42296a52a1b.png

3.thumb.png.c27b68eb04f85a2927cffa6b6b436f91.png

4.thumb.png.45c7e3168321e8389877091f3ee2396c.png

And now it gets tricky ,  because if you now use boolean , you'll get a myriad of answers why it's not a good idea.  For one , the first problem was  non-manifold.  I filleted 

the underlying sharp inner crease  with 0.02 and that took care of that. The other most common problem is "FACE IMPRINTING OPERATION FAILED".  

As a parasolid modeler works with some tolerance , if you try to Boolean add bricks which have free surf  topology  Mcam , SW and the rest of the bunch will say "no way".

So  you have to nudge one of the blocks a little off and then it works . I moved my corner block 0.001 in the Z direction. I know  that this is the part that all people with  psychological disorders  will hate ( :) )  , but hey that's how I did it and moved on....  Otherwise you are stuck , Boolean add won't work  and I do not know any other solution to this problem.

Gracjan

9 hours ago, pullo said:

If the  guys  don't sweat  a little  , it'll be even harder the next time . You have to ease yourself into it :)

I first created the  upper rail using Xform Roll die , onto a d= 9.072 , just like C^man  and them  using  Xform project I projected a line  pic 1)  to get the second cross section.

1.thumb.png.e78f274ef7e2bf10c92524736247be46.png

2.thumb.png.0d095f133335b5ef76aef42296a52a1b.png

3.thumb.png.c27b68eb04f85a2927cffa6b6b436f91.png

4.thumb.png.45c7e3168321e8389877091f3ee2396c.png

And now it gets tricky ,  because if you now use boolean , you'll get a myriad of answers why it's not a good idea.  For one , the first problem was  non-manifold.  I filleted 

the underlying sharp inner crease  with 0.02 and that took care of that. The other most common problem is "FACE IMPRINTING OPERATION FAILED".  

As a parasolid modeler works with some tolerance , if you try to Boolean add bricks which have free surf  topology  Mcam , SW and the rest of the bunch will say "no way".

So  you have to nudge one of the blocks a little off and then it works . I moved my corner block 0.001 in the Z direction. I know  that this is the part that all people with  psychological disorders  will hate ( :) )  , but hey that's how I did it and moved on....  Otherwise you are stuck , Boolean add won't work  and I do not know any other solution to this problem.

Gracjan

I was thinking that was how you cheated the solid in and thank you for confirming my thoughts as the method and all the issues you would run into. The real issue here is it is roll die and the shape must wrap from an un-wrapped shape. I did these for years with pencil and paper and this one like I said originally I would do old school and program it all 2D with the unwrapped geometry and machine it. End of the day making the best part possible is the end game here and to many keep looking for the fancy easy button when the easy button is the simple as a 2D program just wrapped using axis sub. I have made custom form tools and machine use the .25R with a 1/2 endmill stepping down and leaving .002" for a finish pass. I would make a form tool that goes from the 10 degree wall to meet the .25R that has the .093R on it. I would contour cut that and step down doing the same thing. It would look like new money printed when I was done 25 years ago doing it that way so today I think I could make it even nicer then back then.

A possible solution to the problem is to make square corner pockets and then once you have made the square corner pockets you go back and put 10 degree chamfer and then the fillets in. That will do the work you need with the blends. You need the corner fillets 1st then come back and apply the .093 and .25 Fillet to the corners from the walls to the floor. The other way would be to make the males to remove from the round part creating the female shape. Do all the work on the reverse part that you want to Boolean remove from the roll die part and that might be the best way to achieve the solid. Work in reverse verses trying to work like you are.