Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma 6300 5x trunnion with the turn option

lowcountrycamo

Thank you for uploading the file.   I have been looking it over and lathe programming is much different than mill.  I want to learn though.  I replace you machine def with a generic vtl so I could see what the code looks like.  WE have 3x 4x and 5x Okumas.   I tried the 3x and 4x OSP post that our reseller gave me but I liked them not.   I have successfully modified a generic fanuc for  an okuma 3x and 4x machine that work sweet for how we like the code.   I took the post class with colin G which gave me some basic post knowledge.  I might could make this work. We have the Impostablily for the 5x mill side.  I hope the management will just spring the turning potion. I guess that is a separate mach deff and post, correct?

Thanks,

Steve A

If you have Postability already, you can pay Dave to integrate the Turning Functionality into your Post. (Not sure if it would just be "added", or if its a new Post.) Either way, the end result should be a single  Machine Definition, Control Definition, and Post file to drive all the functions of that machine.

I'm glad the Post Class was beneficial, and that you have an Okuma Post that you've successfully completed. 

Technically, you could have separate files for the Milling and Turning Ops, and configure a 2X Lathe Post for the turning portion, but that would be a lot of work to combine them by hand.

After hearing all that I'm going to stay at them about getting the real thing.  This machine is sitting half the time while we are struggling to turn big parts on our horizontal lathes.  We are 90% aero but starting to get oil and gas parts from GE.  Talk about stepping over quarters.  In the mean time I am going to learn the lathe side of mcam. Thanks guys. 

We are running an Okuma VTM-1200 YB 

I found this on You Tube,, this is not our machine

We got our post from Postability

Getting the post dialed in was a big job.

It did not take long to get the positional output right, but there are so many options and M codes and G codes

and different types of toolpaths , that getting all the variables worked out took a while.

The post is about 99% plug and play and the machine is now one of the most productive machines in the shop.

This machine is a lathe first and a mill second

Yours is a mill first and a lathe second.

In theory a lathe post with 5x milling capabilities would work. 

• Like 2
On 1/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, Mick said:

I have a local customer with a MU6300VA-L using the Postability post. I believe they’ve had relatively good success with it (as far as the software can handle it), and you’re in good hands with Dave at Postability.

Mick you still work with these folks. has the post been good so far?

3 hours ago, Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming said:

Mick you still work with these folks. has the post been good so far?

I don't do anything Mastercam with them, obviously because of the clusterf*** that happened. Not your doing or my doing that's for sure.

They're a Cimco customer of mine. :) The post has worked for them, though it has needed some further tweaking. I'm not prepared to help though, as I am done with all the dealer politics and backstabbing :)

I'm sure the current release version of the post is tweaked better though.

• Like 1