Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMG Ultrasonic 20 linear 5Axis machine

MSL

Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot our purchased post for our DMG Ultrasonic 20 linear 5Axis machine. I'm not getting much of help from DMG and I'm not familiar with Siemens 840D control.

Does anyone here have this machine in their shop that he is willing to share some G-Code sample?

I can provide a programmed sample part.

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, MSL said:

Trust me you do not want to deal with DMG.

They claim to have over 700 installed world wide so getting sample code should be no problem. Are you doing the High Speed milling only or are you doing the High Frequency Grinding? Code should be normal for milling, but for grinding they are going to have to guide you with the world renown experience.

Hopefully one of those 700 machines out there runs by MasterCam.

I'm not worry about Ultrasonic part of it now. Just trying to get the 5axis stuff to work. 3+2, 5axis drilling, and simultaneous 5axis.

SUPA

CYCLE800

CYCLE832

Thanks,

16 hours ago, MSL said:

Hopefully one of those 700 machines out there runs by MasterCam.

I'm not worry about Ultrasonic part of it now. Just trying to get the 5axis stuff to work. 3+2, 5axis drilling, and simultaneous 5axis.

SUPA

CYCLE800

CYCLE832

Thanks,

I would think the DMU50 Post from either Postability or In-House would be perfect for that machine. They both have SUPRA, TRAROI, CYCLE800 and CYCLE832 in them. I have used both on many different machines with no issues.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

I would think the DMU50 Post from either Postability or In-House would be perfect for that machine. They both have SUPRA, TRAROI, CYCLE800 and CYCLE832 in them. I have used both on many different machines with no issues.

It is a postability post.

42 minutes ago, Grievous said:

We have one here. See attached codes. I don't know about other ppl experience, but here DMG support has been great. Very knowledgeable ppl.

ultra20.zip

Thank you for your help. If I send you a programmed sample file, are you willing to output some G-Codes?

I will not post codes for you...sorry..against my work place policy. But I can 2nd CMillman here. You will need a 5x Sinumerik post with some specific customization for this machine, especially for how to enable the ultrasonic mode...(thru misc val ). That's it...The codes I share are hand customized .something I like to do sometime, since there is no CAM system who can give me the type of format I want sometime.

So keep it simple in the beginning. Get a good 5x Sinumerik post, then work with DMG and your post builder to incorporate the ultrasonic part in it.

Good luck.

I bought the post from Postability but working with DMG is a totally different story. The post is not outputting the correct codes. I have to tell them what needs to be changed. I do not get any help from DMG. I'm not worry about ultrasonic part of yet.

Thank you for your help.

If the post is not outputting the correct codes, then it is not DMG fault....just my opinion. DMG is selling you a machine with a controller on it. Except some manufacturer cycles made by DMG(for which you got a book I assume),  everything is a Sinumerik control.

5 hours ago, Grievous said:

If the post is not outputting the correct codes, then it is not DMG fault....just my opinion. DMG is selling you a machine with a controller on it. Except some manufacturer cycles made by DMG(for which you got a book I assume),  everything is a Sinumerik control.

I disagree the DMG people should be the ones letting you know which codes are needed for your machine. It is now the post builders job to know what each builder does and how they configure each machine to build a 100% working post for a machine is your thoughts? Please explain if I am mis understanding you here.

I 100% disagree with you, based on my experience with this machine. This is a 5x Sinumerik machine. Nothing fancy. There are no special/manufacturer codes to make this machine run, except the enabling ultrasonic mode, which is highlighted in the book of machine, everything else are standard sinumerik cycles and codes like you said,Traori, Cycle800, Cycle832..etc. The post builders don't need DMG to hold their hands when they do a post for a controller, more like just to know the special manufacturer cycles and codes and integrate them, and like I said , they are highlighted in the machine book, which for sure he got(at least I got it). And when you have issues understanding them, then that's when you ask builder. I don't see the reason to call DMG to explain you how Cycle800 or Traori works.

I did my post myself based on an existing post I had. Actually all Sinumerik machines here(3x 4x and 5x) have 1 single post with switches.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Grievous said:

I 100% disagree with you, based on my experience with this machine. This is a 5x Sinumerik machine. Nothing fancy. There are no special/manufacturer codes to make this machine run, except the enabling ultrasonic mode, which is highlighted in the book of machine, everything else are standard sinumerik cycles and codes like you said,Traori, Cycle800, Cycle832..etc. The post builders don't need DMG to hold their hands when they do a post for a controller, more like just to know the special manufacturer cycles and codes and integrate them, and like I said , they are highlighted in the machine book, which for sure he got(at least I got it). And when you have issues understanding them, then that's when you ask builder. I don't see the reason to call DMG to explain you how Cycle800 or Traori works.

I did my post myself based on an existing post I had. Actually all Sinumerik machines here(3x 4x and 5x) have 1 single post with switches.

See you misunderstood I didn't say explain how things works to the post builder. I said what codes the machine has and my experience with DMG has been 4 of the same machines can hit the floor and all 4 don't act the same. Seen it with just about every builder. How is the post builder responsible for those issues? The post builders we work with have dialed in 5 Axis posts which is why I mentioned them, but you backed up my thoughts when you said " more like just to know the special manufacturer cycles and codes and integrate them" and that is what I was referring to.

I feel Yes it is the responsibility of DMG to teach any new customer to 5 Axis on their machine's what each code means and how they work not the post builder. If an application engineer cannot come in and set a part up and get it running on the machine he works for then that is a problem and yes I have seen this numerous times why I do what I do. You may not think your knowledge and abilities are not any different than just about anyone else out there, but trust me very few people can do what you just described again why I have a job and do what I do.

I have done this many time also, but you and I are not everywhere and all places so that is where the Post Builder and the Machine Builder need assistance from time to time to bridge that gap.