Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

no rapid or feed move without spindle tunring

Does anyone know what can cause the machine to not move in rapid or feed mode when the spindle is not turning? We checked parameter 3708 SAR bit and it is off, we checked stroke limits and safety zones and they are not used. The machine homes properly after power up (uses dogs). Tool changer works properly. We checked all Parameters and Keep Relays and compared them to the original printouts kept in the control behind the machine and all are good. Nothing out of the ordinary. It's also in Feed Per Minute, not Feed Per Rev so that isn't a factor either and wouldn't cause non-rapid moves with the spindle off anyway.

Time to pull my hair out.

Fanuc iO control.
3 axis VMC

There is no Setup Key on this machine, Doosan, but thanks. I am hoping for a simple solution. Maybe something right in front of us that we missed.

We even did a Diagnostic Trace on a few ladder addresses but no joy. We probably didn't have the correct addresses though. Hard to find something when you don't know specifically what to look for.

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing in the operating nor maintenance manuals about this. We have had this NV-700 machine for 12 years (since new) and never had this situation come up. Could be the G-codes were always there but we never knew them and somebody mistyped a g-code and caused this to happen. We also have an NP-700 Doosan, identical in every way to our NV-700 except it has rotary table option and this Doosan works.  We never type these M-codes in it either because we either didn't or don't know they exist. I'll try the M184 M185 in a few minutes. Thanks for that BTW.

24 minutes ago, Zbuilder said:

Could be the G-codes were always there but we never knew them and somebody mistyped a g-code and caused this to happen

In every machine I've even run, this feature is off by default as a safety feature

99% of the time you do not want the table moving if the spindle is stopped.

We also have an NP-700 Doosan, identical in every way to our NV-700 except it has rotary table option and this Doosan works.

maybe you could down load the parameters tables from the machine that works and compare it to the machine that doesn't

We compared the original printed out parameters to what's in the control and they are the same. So much so that the backlash params are the same with the original ball screw and nut and the machine is precise. I love the accuracy. They sure did something right with that table and slide system.

I agree. All of our machines move without the spindle running. I've been doing this for 35 years and not one of our machines has ever been unable to move in Auto Cycle or MDI without the spindle running.

I think it's more of a "per MTB" thing because of liability reasons but could be wrong about the reason.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to add this observation:

Our Milltronic can not only run with the spindle off, but you can shut off the spindle while running a program in the middle of a cut. If that wasn't bad enough, you can also press the tool release button on the head and dump the tool while mid-cycle.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

My table moves with the spindle off with almost every tool, when it does a break check before putting it away

I should have qualified that with a G01

Its rare for a table to do G01 motion with the spindle stopped

unless it's been enabled with an M code or a parameter setting

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Zbuilder said:

Does anyone know what M65 or M66 mean? See attached. We never had to use M65 before until our problem surfaced.

Sounds like override inhibit.

M65 disables the manual feed n' speed knobs on the control. M66 allows operator control again.

It can be used to prevent operators from deliberately slowing things down.

Is there any chance your physical feed override knob is broken? or permanently set to "Zero"? A feed knob fixed at zero would certainly prevent you from moving!

J

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jaydenn said:

Sounds like override inhibit.

M65 disables the manual feed n' speed knobs on the control. M66 allows operator control again.

It can be used to prevent operators from deliberately slowing things down.

Is there any chance your physical feed override knob is broken? or permanently set to "Zero"? A feed knob fixed at zero would certainly prevent you from moving!

J

Or the feed knob (being a rotary switch) may have gone bad, and fallen apart internally shorting out or just plain not working?

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a while since I gave an update. Maintenance gave up for a while and we just used the M65, M66 codes. I went out to the machine today and spoke to an operator and he said they don't use the M codes anymore. Another problem surfaced on that Doosan; the Z+ axis always over travels when homing it. Maintenance figured out that booting the control with P-CAN pressed and then exiting that menu makes the machine Z home correctly without over travel and that also allowed the XY to move without the spindle turning, but P-CAN needs to be done every time we restart the machine. Anyone know why this happens ?

57 minutes ago, Zbuilder said:

Well, it's been a while since I gave an update. Maintenance gave up for a while and we just used the M65, M66 codes. I went out to the machine today and spoke to an operator and he said they don't use the M codes anymore. Another problem surfaced on that Doosan; the Z+ axis always over travels when homing it. Maintenance figured out that booting the control with P-CAN pressed and then exiting that menu makes the machine Z home correctly without over travel and that also allowed the XY to move without the spindle turning, but P-CAN needs to be done every time we restart the machine. Anyone know why this happens ?

That's overrides the soft limit. This same as putting 99999999 in for soft limit switch(1320). The may have crashed the machine and it may need a grid shift.(1850)