Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sodick wire EDM cut parameter manual

We got an old sodick wire EDM for a few little jobs we had farmed out (bought it from a shop that went under), but I frequently get errors when generating cut parameters. Almost seems like the database is corrupted. Does anyone know if the cut parameter manuals are available online anywhere?

Machine is all sorts of funky. Looks like the OS is booting from a hard drive partition. Tried getting the USB floppy emulator on it working, and when I finally got it to read from the "floppy drive", there were a ton of batch and executable files and none of what was on the 1.44mb formatted flash drive I had plugged in.., several with similar names to the control model though. Sooooooo.... looks like I'm hand coding everything on that machine too in addition to guessing on all my power parameters. Fun.

Well, guess I'm left with educated guess work. So far I've determined that variable cross section interrupted cuts in a forging are a nightmare. Still not 100% on how to adjust parameters to accommodate for the interrupted cut. Makes the flushing far less effective, I know that much. Also... fun story... thought I had hosed my parameters the other day because I came back less than .5" from the end of a cut path to find the wire broken (on a 2 hour program)... only to later discover that the wire feed rollers randomly jam up while cutting and it continues trying to burn without the wire feeding through, so there's also that to contend with.

Anyone have any pointers on setting power parameters for cutting parts with cavities in the middle?

2 hours ago, Ewood42 said:

Well, guess I'm left with educated guess work. So far I've determined that variable cross section interrupted cuts in a forging are a nightmare. Still not 100% on how to adjust parameters to accommodate for the interrupted cut. Makes the flushing far less effective, I know that much. Also... fun story... thought I had hosed my parameters the other day because I came back less than .5" from the end of a cut path to find the wire broken (on a 2 hour program)... only to later discover that the wire feed rollers randomly jam up while cutting and it continues trying to burn without the wire feeding through, so there's also that to contend with.

Anyone have any pointers on setting power parameters for cutting parts with cavities in the middle?

Keep raising your off time until the voltage reads between 40-50

About 5 at a time and also lower your on time 1 at a time. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Del. said:

I would contact Sodick and see if you can buy the cutting parameters manual.

Haha working on it. Had to register with Sodick, wait two weeks (not sure if that was our maintenance guy or backup at sodick), then contact sodick to register the machine. Last I heard the PO to pay the registration fee was still being processed upstairs (most likely still sitting in someone's inbox in accounting). Can't provide support until we've paid our fees.

Now they've got me training someone on a machine I have no manual for that I am honestly just kinda winging it with. Should be an interesting training session since the guy I'm training has issues just remembering how to properly load a part. So, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and he probably won't remember anyway. :lol:

39 minutes ago, Ewood42 said:

Haha working on it. Had to register with Sodick, wait two weeks (not sure if that was our maintenance guy or backup at sodick), then contact sodick to register the machine. Last I heard the PO to pay the registration fee was still being processed upstairs (most likely still sitting in someone's inbox in accounting). Can't provide support until we've paid our fees.

Now they've got me training someone on a machine I have no manual for that I am honestly just kinda winging it with. Should be an interesting training session since the guy I'm training has issues just remembering how to properly load a part. So, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and he probably won't remember anyway. :lol:

What model do you have?

• 10 months later...