Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cermet inserts

ostie01

One of my customer wants me to absolutely use cermet inserts for a lathe job ( face profile).

Material is 1018 steel.

he wants me to use cermet inserts because he wants a good finish ( insert are VBMT style).

I'm not sure it will do any better than regular carbide insert.

What do you think.

Jeff

6 minutes ago, ostie01 said:

One of my customer wants me to absolutely use cermet inserts for a lathe job ( face profile).

Material is 1018 steel.

he wants me to use cermet inserts because he wants a good finish ( insert are VBMT style).

I'm not sure it will do any better than regular carbide insert.

What do you think.

Jeff

You can get a good finish on 1018 all day long using normal inserts. The issues is the lower SFM used that creates the bad finish Try getting up to 900 SFM or better depending on the grade of inserts and see what the finish turns out like. Also leave a decent amount of finish stock to allow the cut to work. To little of material and it will not come out looking like chrome. I had people demands I use a 2-9/16 HSS Taper Shank Drill on Aluminum before on a CAT 40 machine that was hand loaded. I advise them there was better ways, but at the end of the day if that is what they want that is what I will give them.

I would rough it with carbide and finish with Cermet. Facing to center or even small diameters sucks without the RPM on 1018. Had to do a run off on a lathe with only 2400 RPM and the part required a 32 finish on all features. Turning the OD there was no difference, but facing was noticeably better with Cermet.  

4 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Also leave a decent amount of finish stock to allow the cut to work. To little of material and it will not come out looking like chrome.

+1000. It's got to be a pretty small cutter / part that gets me below 0.02 finish cut......of course when talking to Ron, small is a relative concept....