Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

quality measuring tools...

Does any one know of quality "tool box" measuring tools still made in USA, Germany or Japan?  I'd really like a new set of 12in calipers and possibly an 18 and 24.  My Google-Fu yields nothing but Chinese products.

Preferably German, I've always had great luck out of Mahr.

Etalon (Swiss made) makes a good caliper,  but as far as I know they are only 6".

My favorite 12" pair for the last 20 years has been my trusty Starrett No. 120 model.

The newer version isn't exactly  the same,but it's not bad. No clue where they are made now.

Never been a huge fan of Mitutoyo or Browne & Sharp calipers.

These days I typically look first at Mitutoyo. I find a good balance of price vs. capability, and I think it is all made in Japan.

I prefer the Digimatic calipers. I just like the ability to "direct read" the value, and to be able to easily switch between Inch and Metric at the push of a button.

Look at the Series 550, 551, or 552.

http://ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/Calipers-C1331.aspx?s=Featured

They are offered with or without Jaw Attachments. You can also get some models with Ceramic Jaws, and I can only imagine how expensive a set of those are...

• Like 1

Mitutoya here. I probably use(d) my depth mic more than anything. Not cheap but very accurate for measuring and setting offsets.

If I were still running a machine daily I would also get a groove mike (Mit. make a few non-digital ones). Get's into set ups like no other measuring tool.

I have had my calipers for 20+ years, still going strong......

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

You could try using Duckduckgo, it does not weight payed ads to google. I've found it to give results much closer to what I want.

I only use DuckDuckGo to search. If I really "can't" find something with it, it probably doesn't exist under the current search terms I'm using.

More than just the "paid" search results, DDG doesn't "track" and sell your search info to advertisers. Just another way you can "fight back" against the machine.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, RonC. said:

I have a set of 8" Fowler, sylvac utra-cal mark lll (swiss made) has been a great for the last 20 years and are like new still..

not sure what today's version are like...

A lot of Fowler stuff is great quality, even some made in China.  I particularly like the Helios calipers but I can not find them new.

Here too http://ecatalog.mitutoyo.com/ABSOLUTE-Digimatic-Caliper-Series-500-with-Exclusive-ABSOLUTE-Encode-Technology-C1381.aspx

My fave big callipers I had were a pair of Sylac 0>600mm where you could move the fixed jaw - great when getting into something.

I just looked for a link and they've redesigned them with drilled lightweight holy jaws...

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I only use DuckDuckGo to search. If I really "can't" find something with it, it probably doesn't exist under the current search terms I'm using.

More than just the "paid" search results, DDG doesn't "track" and sell your search info to advertisers. Just another way you can "fight back" against the machine.

When Jayel wrote Google FU, I thought that was his little way of fighting back...by being sarcy :D

So I googled it and it does exist. Man, I'm outta touch 

10 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

I like the look of those.....if I were still running a machine every day they would have been ordered already........

Because the fixed jaw isn't fixed, they're great for access. Not cheap, but real nice quality.

Well, the model I had was 20 years old, so I can only assume things have gotten better with age...

:D