Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Lathe Grooving Tool

Kampfzentrum

2019 is already out in Public Beta, that's why I suggested created the tools in 3d. If you create them in 2018 you'll have to use the legacy custom tool method, and if you decide you want them 3d you will have to do the work over again in 2019. 

Cross centerline turning in 2018 isn't "officially" supported, in 2019 it will be. The workaround for 2018 and prior... for example, using an upper turret tool to cut below centerline;

Define the tool as lower turret, chain the geo for the toolpath below centerline, use upper turret axis combo. Watch out for the tool filter checkbox when selecting a tool, it will filter tools by axis combo, so you'll have to disable the filter to see the lower turret tool when upper axis combo is selected.

In 2019, just chain the geo, pick the tool and go. 

On 2/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, Kampfzentrum said:

OK, let me ask another question.

In the case of a standard turn/face tool on a VTL. Most people would run a turning tool on the left side of the part using M04. However, because of the type of parts and the rigid system put in place, these guy manually program parts where the tool crosses over the centerline of the part onto the other side to face and bore using M03. I am not seeing this ability to change this on the fly, where is this parameter?

You would need to change the LMD to tell it has a B axis capable of doing this in the Spindle I don't think you can just add this ability to the VTL. I think you have to trick it with a B axis and B Lathe Spindle to let the operations unlock the Spin ability on the tools, but once it done yes it just a simple as a click. Here is what I am talking about from an Integrex machine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i92vq6jgc7u0on8/LatheToolSetup_6.png?dl=0