Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parting Monel K 500

We are struggling to part off Monel K 500 and l am looking for suggestions. I have worked with our Iscar rep and tech support but only getting about 4-10 parts per insert edge. The material had an OD of 2" and an ID of 1.06 and a part length of .15. Inserts we have tried are TAGN2J IC808 and TAGN2C IC808. Speed has been in the 70-90 sfm and feed of .002-.008. Does anyone have other first hand recommendations for this material? Other Brands of parting tools or grades? We have 2500 parts to wrestle with. Thanks.

I appreciate the suggestions:

We are getting better tool life at a feed of .008 than we did at .004.

JLW - I will look into Seco, Thanks

Newbeeee - I don't have a 1.5 mm cut off tool to try.

C^Millman - I don't have a C axis lathe unfortunately

mkd - I have been unable to locate a cermet or ceramic parting off option

civiceg - The insert has  a .01 wear flat (after about 10-15 parts) on the front edge of the insert. Small amount of wear on the sides

40 minutes ago, DTHOMSON said:

I appreciate the suggestions:

We are getting better tool life at a feed of .008 than we did at .004.

JLW - I will look into Seco, Thanks

Newbeeee - I don't have a 1.5 mm cut off tool to try.

C^Millman - I don't have a C axis lathe unfortunately

mkd - I have been unable to locate a cermet or ceramic parting off option

civiceg - The insert has  a .01 wear flat (after about 10-15 parts) on the front edge of the insert. Small amount of wear on the sides

Tool wear is a part of the job and if someone didn't quote the job correctly hopefully it doesn't break the bank and they learn from their mistake. Amazing how many companies don't understand the NRE cost and other costs to do work anymore. Seen one company quote a project on the hours alone to machine the parts. I asked them what are the tooling cost quoted with the project and I got this blank stare. After all was said and done I think they were given the customer $400 per part to make the $150 parts. Might be the reason you guys got the job to being with, but hopefully I am wrong and someone did their homework about how tough this material is and what it takes to machine it.

SECO have an HSS + coolant thru version of their partoff blades, we cut a lot fof hi-temp alloys and we get good results just by changing the balde for a more rigid one 

But it's Monel500, don't ask for a miracle, if you can do 20-30 part with an insert you'll be really lucky 

Goldorak - You hit it on the head. We are between 25-32 parts per edge now. We are probably lucky. We bid the job correctly at this tool life. It was concerning when the inserts recommended by tech support were not lasting more than 4-10 parts.

There is info on what speed/feed to run tools in various materials but not an approximate tool life if they are ran at those speeds. At least nothing I am aware of. Does anyone know of any? Thanks everyone.

• Like 2