Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

100k Machine could not hold tolerance So

had a project to do that required tight profile tolerance. told the boss no problem our Fadal is pretty tight we can do it. oops. come to find out it looses .008 in 16-24 inch travel in x.

this was a surprise to me as the machine has been recently rebuilt, guess they failed to tune it in.

so what does a machinist do?

have not had to do this in decades lol. I have been spoiled on very nice machines. oh and don't know how many times I have been told one cant do something because of machine error. I tried every trick in my books including approach from one direction to comp back lash of which that does not seem to be the error I am chasing.

they are looking into solution to dial in the machine but job could not wait.

dividing head.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, navsENG said:

Gotta do what you gotta do! I definitely wouldn't call a fadal a 100k machine though... Haha

it has 80x30 travel and iron behind it. yes I know what I am running here (have run okuma, makino and old mori) but travel like that with them would be twice for good reason. I run what is on the floor its what I am paid to do. I get it. thanks

• Like 1
9 hours ago, navsENG said:

I definitely wouldn't call a fadal a 100k machine though... Haha

I'm sure they've spent $100k + over the years keeping it running

It would probably cost more to laser it and level it than it's worth

• Haha 1

It could actually be the resolver.

>$80 part.

Place i was at had a 6030 that "wouldn't tap". Got a precision 5axis job in to quote and when the President asked if that machine could do it, I said sure; right after a ball bar and laser calibration.

Guy running the ball bar took one look at the graph and said; you need to replace the resolver on Y.

stopped breaking taps too.

obviously, check for slop in the gibbs. Same company got a newly painted 4020. you could shake the table by hand a good inch. It's real cheap to fix this.

• Like 1