Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Programmers/Operators

chipman

With the software much easier to learn and the cost more affordable as opposed to 20+ years ago, it seems that there are now many more Programmer/Operators. 

How do some of you handle archiving programs in a manner to be able to repeat that process, as it seems that programmer/operators are more after getting the part done than trying to keep files clean, organized and filed properly.  

I have folders for part numbers (aerospace).

Each folder has an "archive" sub-folder.

Whenever I make an update I first save a copy to the archive folder and rename it with the date it was updated (p/n_updated xx-xx-18)

I then make the update in the original prog. in the p/n folder. This gives me a way to trace my updates if I run into a problem later....many ways to skin the cat, just need some way of keeping your updates in some sort of traceable form and separated from your current prog.

42 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

I have folders for part numbers (aerospace).

Each folder has an "archive" sub-folder.

Whenever I make an update I first save a copy to the archive folder and rename it with the date it was updated (p/n_updated xx-xx-18)

I then make the update in the original prog. in the p/n folder. This gives me a way to trace my updates if I run into a problem later....many ways to skin the cat, just need some way of keeping your updates in some sort of traceable form and separated from your current prog.

Is this a company mandated procedure, or your way of going about it?

I have always kept things organized and archived since I started doing this. Poor organization leads to bigger issues. I was in a shop about 96-97. I kept telling the owners we needed to tape backup the computer I was using. It cost too much money was what I was told. I went out and bought 20 3.5 diskettes and saved all my programs and work onto those disc as I got everything done. Then you guessed it that system died after lighting stuck the building. They were scrambling thinking they were going to go out of business because all was lost. Then I proceed all the Diskette I had in my file cabinet in my area. Yes I had my own filing cabinet when I kept all my drawings, and tool list and setup sheets. They were mad since they had told me that was not needed and thought I was trying to steal their programs. I laughed and said if I was stealing your program then why would I even let you know here is a copy of everything? Crickets and they got a new system and were back in business that same day.

Point is can never be too organized when doing work. There have been times over the years I have pulled something out I did in the past and was able to use it for something currently. If you are a mess then you work will show it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, chipman said:

Is this a company mandated procedure, or your way of going about it?

This my way of keeping track of my programs and program revisions/improvements. If I have a part revision (let's say from Boeing) Level 1 always has a solid model of the latest rev. So in this case I would send the old program to archive per above (maybe with an extra note like Matt above), import and replace with the new model and change the rev level ( say from rev A to rev B ) on Level 1. Keeping the most recent part rev level in the current program IS a company requirement per our agreement with Boeing.

Having said that 90% of the rev level changes from Boeing do not affect the part dimensions (it's usually something to do with Finish or Assy) so in this case I would not necessarily change the model but I would update the rev on Level 1 to reflect what rev we are currently working to.

And per Ron's observations we have a Network here, which is backed up every night. I work on my C: drive, but my MC backup is directed to a Network Folder so if I lose something or have a crash I can recover from there (it saves a copy of my current file every time I save, I DON"T use auto save, with 10 copies before it starts over writing). After Run 1 (unless we have ongoing problems) the file gets transferred to a "programming" drive (complete with archive folder) which is again on the Network so gets backed up every 24 hrs. You can't be too organized.....

So in short we have multiple back up systems in place.

Man I am the worst at this! I do alot of design work before I even start to toolpath and things get messy quick. But I have been making it a point for the last year to get better. So these days I do all my design work in one file then save some with finished geometry. Being able to have two files open helps me alot to because if I have a toolpathing challenge (you know where you try every single toolpath to get what you want) I do it first on my hoarder version. Then I will just redo it in my archive version. I am careful to actually name my levels and put comments in the tool section, etc on this version...  So now if you see my actual program file you would get the impression I'm pretty organized, but in reality I am friggen wreck!!! lol Does it take a little more time? sure maybe, its debatable, but I know if I open these files 3 years from now I will be happy vs. when I open files from 3 years ago, YIKES!

Everything gets backed up on a 1 TB seagate, to cheep to not have this option. So I have programs in 2 places Computer and back up, and NC code in 3,  because all my machines have memory with hundreds of programs on them. But now that I think of it I could probably stand to get a back up for my back up. I have had external hard drives fail in the past.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, motor-vater said:

but I know if I open these files 3 years from now I will be happy vs. when I open files from 3 years ago, YIKES!

And I am afraid I am a bit of a dinosaur in using a lot of derived geometry to drive my toolpaths for just this reason. I just find it easier to figure out what I was doing, however many years ago it was. And I hope easier for anyone else opening one of my files for the first time, I want it to "tell a story" that you can follow.....

22 hours ago, chipman said:

With the software much easier to learn and the cost more affordable as opposed to 20+ years ago, it seems that there are now many more Programmer/Operators. 

How do some of you handle archiving programs in a manner to be able to repeat that process, as it seems that programmer/operators are more after getting the part done than trying to keep files clean, organized and filed properly.  

With multiple programmers on the floor there are multiple programs that may or may not be to the correct revisions or just programmed inefficiently. We had a Hurco in which every operator had to have their own programs. We had one part that was eight operations for one guy and two operations for another and they were loaded on the same computer. We ended up moving the programming from the operators to the programmers to eliminate those issues.

We now have a Keyence CMM system for the operators to check their parts and lessen the bottleneck at inspection. We've given the operators thumb drives to keep their own programs on.

• Like 1

This is something I fight regularly.  It's a nightmare when your the responsible party and the owner of the shop couldn't care less and doesn't have your back, allowing 25ish people do whatever the hell they want.

• Like 1

This is where a PDM system comes in handy . Automatically track versions and who made changes and when. I feel a lot better letting newer people work on complicated files knowing we can always roll back if they screw something up.  Also, avoiding multiple copies of files is a must IMO. We use Solid PDM and it works pretty well.

Mike

• Like 2