Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Contour Angle

BrianP.

So every time i try a simple 3D contour up and angle the tip always drives through the wall. I usually manipulate the geometry little by little till I get the desired result. Kinda frustrating and time consuming. Got to be an easier way but damned if I've been able to figure it out. Just want to be able to drive up and around to give a good finish along the walls after surfacing the angle. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

5aabbd5827b3b_Capture1.PNG.9a293ed93c8fe50e432ecd0ade3cc672.PNG

Capture.PNG.b19ea2e834520d37a220ebc98d961d86.PNG

Edit: 2018 with only single surface and no multi axis tool paths available.

Since you only have "Single Surface" capability, take "chain" in your 2nd picture, and make an identical chain, on the other wall. Then, use "Create > Spline > Curves", and make a single spline, out of each chain. (put these on a new level.)

Then, make a "Lofted Surface", using both of the splines. (make sure the chains go the same "direction" when creating the surface.)

Now, you will have a single surface, that represents the "floor of your angled surfaces".

Take your original chains (you did keep the originals on a separate level, right?), and offset them by the Cutter Radius. So, if you are using a .250 ball for example, offset the chains by .125. Also, make a 2nd chain, offset for a semi-finish, if you want. So for example, on the "right" wall, you might have 2 chains, one at .125 offset, the other at .135 offset. Repeat this on the 2nd side (left).

This will give you 4 chains total. Use "Surface > Finish > Project", or "Surface High Speed > Project" (My personal favorite).

When chaining, select the first pass chains, starting at the bottom on the right chain, and the "top" on the 2nd chain (this makes sure each pass is Climb milling). Then, choose the "finish" set of chains, in the same manner. This means the chains on the "right" side of the slot will go "bottom to top", and the chains on the left side will go "top to bottom". That ensures you are climb milling both sides.

With the Surface High Speed Project, you get all the nice "linking" options, so you can smoothly enter and retract off the walls, when entering or exiting the cut.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Hi Ron,

The user originally stated they only have "single surface" machining ability. I don't think Pencil would work on that, since you need multiple surfaces to drive a Pencil path...

Well it would give you the ability to create the geometry to drive a 3D contour much easier than anything anyone else has suggested. I got a lot of tricks up my sleeve to get it done, but simple quick and easy with single surface in my humble opinion would be use pencil to make the toolpaths after you do a solid model fillet. Once you have solid modeled the fillet use that to make a single surface and you are done.

This is one of those situations where there are about eleventyhundred ways to skin the cat.  I personally would use 3d contour to center of ball if I needed lead in/out for comp or if I only had single surface.  Simply offset geo the radius of the tool and then same path.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

This is one of those situations where there are about eleventyhundred ways to skin the cat.  I personally would use 3d contour to center of ball if I needed lead in/out for comp or if I only had single surface.  Simply offset geo the radius of the tool and then same path.

That's what I've done in similar situations.

1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Dumb guy here why not model the radius of the tool and use the pencil toolpath and call it a day?

If you think your dumb what does that make me? :P

48 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

That's what I figured. I knew there was more than one way to skin this cat.

It's on things like this that I struggle a little. Never have had any formal training and have never gotten to work with any high skilled programmers. The only formal training I've had is a couple of  tech days for a few hours with JP. I will try each one of the suggestions to further my skills soon as  I get some cycle time going..

Thanks.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:17 AM, jlw™ said:

Model the radius of the tool into your geometry and then drive the tool from the solid using 3D contour no geometry creation needed at all. Want to keep your original solid natvie then do like I did and copy to a level and add the radius of your tool and done. Want to surface machine that from center out then use Multipass and now you can surface machine parts using 3D contour.

Here is a very quick and down and dirty method hopefully you have 2018.

5th Axis 3D Contour

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Model the radius of the tool into your geometry and then drive the tool from the solid using 3D contour no geometry creation needed at all. Want to keep your original solid natvie then do like I did and copy to a level and add the radius of your tool and done. Want to surface machine that from center out then use Multipass and now you can surface machine parts using 3D contour.

5th Axis 3D Contour Example.mcam

Totally agree, about a 40 second toolpath either way whether geo or solid.  Literally the same exact path and output.  I personally prefer geo over solids but I am slowly getting back to solids in Mastercam.  X8 burnt me too much with solids and I haven't fully rebuilt the trust.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

I had already got job running but I downloaded and tried it. Works like a charm for this application. Can even drive across the top if so desired. Got to remember this one. Thanks

Capture.PNG.641c084df86d176e362a1cc1fdf64c54.PNG5aac0b4f763de_Capture1.PNG.57f857afd64ff7aeabdebc4b688d9892.PNGCapture2.PNG.50ee53cd60511f4050b35416baa49007.PNG

• Like 1

Good morning ,I want to use your sample CMillman for learn same thing .What surface finish toolpath use here ???I wont to finish this  inside packet .I set -.005 on drive surface ,on finish raster toolpath  and I see the tool cut more one vertical wall and do not touch on bottom . What type of toolpath will be the best for this sample part ???

thanks 

5th Axis 3D Contour Example (1).mcam

1 hour ago, master80 said:

Good morning ,I want to use your sample CMillman for learn same thing .What surface finish toolpath use here ???I wont to finish this  inside packet .I set -.005 on drive surface ,on finish raster toolpath  and I see the tool cut more one vertical wall and do not touch on bottom . What type of toolpath will be the best for this sample part ???

thanks 

5th Axis 3D Contour Example (1).mcam

Really going to depend on the material and the finish I am looking for on how I would go about making a finish toolpath. I would flowline the walls. I would parallel the floor and call it a day on most materials and finish requirements. Maybe a pencil if I wanted to get a good fillet radius cut. Down and dirty get it done one operation surface finish coutour or waterline, but issue with both will be that flat floor. Both toolpaths have detect flat abilities, but to give me the finish I want I think I would break it up into operations like I said above. Machining to me is not about what gets the job done. Even when I hand coded parts I always made my code to achieve he best looking and quality part I could. If that meant extra work so be it that is my job. I may spend double what other programmers do on some programs, but I always feel comfortable I did my best. If I have I to back up on a program and do some things over again part of my job. 

Here is my challenge to you give me back that file with 10 different toolpaths and I will be glad to review it and make suggestions. I think after trying 10 different toolpaths on it you will answer a lot of your own questions. I fell I could put 20 toolpaths on that sample in that pocket and sill find man more ways to do it. Just in this thread alone there was 5 or 6 different ways. That is what I did and still do when I stared using Mastercam. I don’t settle on one way, one approach, method of toolpath. I explore the software aned put toolpaths on anything aned everything I can. I learn by doing and by pushing myself. Job had to get done, but we have to always be pushing to be better. We don’t and we fall behind. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, C^Millman said:

This is very clever.  For this to work you must program from the center of the ball.  I posted it out and it looks like you would have to subtract the radius of the ball from the tool offset.  Is that correct?

10 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Really going to depend on the material and the finish I am looking for on how I would go about making a finish toolpath. I would flowline the walls. I would parallel the floor and call it a day on most materials and finish requirements. Maybe a pencil if I wanted to get a good fillet radius cut. Down and dirty get it done one operation surface finish coutour or waterline, but issue with both will be that flat floor. Both toolpaths have detect flat abilities, but to give me the finish I want I think I would break it up into operations like I said above. Machining to me is not about what gets the job done. Even when I hand coded parts I always made my code to achieve he best looking and quality part I could. If that meant extra work so be it that is my job. I may spend double what other programmers do on some programs, but I always feel comfortable I did my best. If I have I to back up on a program and do some things over again part of my job. 

Here is my challenge to you give me back that file with 10 different toolpaths and I will be glad to review it and make suggestions. I think after trying 10 different toolpaths on it you will answer a lot of your own questions. I fell I could put 20 toolpaths on that sample in that pocket and sill find man more ways to do it. Just in this thread alone there was 5 or 6 different ways. That is what I did and still do when I stared using Mastercam. I don’t settle on one way, one approach, method of toolpath. I explore the software aned put toolpaths on anything aned everything I can. I learn by doing and by pushing myself. Job had to get done, but we have to always be pushing to be better. We don’t and we fall behind. 

sound good.thanks so much.Like I say,I start new job ,most of the part are surfaces ,and I am afraid the I can program so to slow.But I can see ,there is so many options for get same job done 

59 minutes ago, lowcountrycamo said:

This is very clever.  For this to work you must program from the center of the ball.  I posted it out and it looks like you would have to subtract the radius of the ball from the tool offset.  Is that correct?

Well you could cheat even this. You tell it from the tip and then add .1875 to the inrecment distance. Mastercam gives you tons of freedom like most CAM really not limits just how much you limit yourself. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, master80 said:

sound good.thanks so much.Like I say,I start new job ,most of the part are surfaces ,and I am afraid the I can program so to slow.But I can see ,there is so many options for get same job done 

Never be afraid. Be cautious and concerned for doing the best job possible, but fear is the killer to any creativity. I am always safe and things get my attention from time to time, but respect the machine and be confident and you can do anything you put your mind to. Do I fail oh yeah I am like anyone I make my share of mistakes, but I fix them learn from them and getter better. Everyday I am learning something and everyday I get humbled. I dust myself off and try again till I get it done. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/17/2018 at 11:32 AM, C^Millman said:

Never be afraid. Be cautious and concerned for doing the best job possible, but fear is the killer to any creativity. I am always safe and things get my attention from time to time, but respect the machine and be confident and you can do anything you put your mind to. Do I fail oh yeah I am like anyone I make my share of mistakes, but I fix them learn from them and getter better. Everyday I am learning something and everyday I get humbled. I dust myself off and try again till I get it done. 

Cillman  ,can you give me same score for this ??;)

punch.mcam

6 hours ago, master80 said:

Cillman  ,can you give me same score for this ??;)

punch.mcam

You didn't do anything wrong and it should make a good part. I would use a stock model and make the block. I would open the containment boundary up to allow you to cut from the outside of the shape. I would use a bull endmill verses a flat endmill to cut up the angle and radius that you used in your OPTI-Rest. You could make a nice part with that toolpath.

I would score a 100 because you did what so many fail to do. You made an effort and posted up an example of what you are trying to figure out. I give that all the best in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Goldorak said:

no need for any rocket science calculations or any 5-axis hypercomplicated toolpath 

simply use a  Swept-2D toolpath from mastercam's level-1 and call it done in less than 2 minutes  ;) 

I would like to see a 2D swept using the example he put up. I don't know how and would like to see it done with a 2?D swept toolpath if you don't mind.

11 hours ago, C^Millman said:

You didn't do anything wrong and it should make a good part. I would use a stock model and make the block. I would open the containment boundary up to allow you to cut from the outside of the shape. I would use a bull endmill verses a flat endmill to cut up the angle and radius that you used in your OPTI-Rest. You could make a nice part with that toolpath.

I would score a 100 because you did what so many fail to do. You made an effort and posted up an example of what you are trying to figure out. I give that all the best in my humble opinion.

Good morning All.On this sample I can not use pencil toolpath for finish corner rad  ???I am right ???