Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C Axis Lathe Post - Limit C moves to 135 degrees or less?

I want to limit the C axis feed moves in a lathe post to less than 180 degrees. What setting is typically changed to do this, because no matter setting I change, nothing seems to limit the move. I want to avoid any 180 degree or 360 degree moves.

Oh, wow, some replies... LOL.

It didn't get moved as requested. Admittedly, I should have messaged a mod, but the last time I did that, I didn't even get a reply.

The title under my username says it all :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:35 AM, Jay Kramer @ Precision Programming said:

Hey Mick you could asked me to move next time I have  mode connections in my office.

PS Thanks Jimmy Wakeford helping out a TheeCircle member or is that really from one member to another.

I guess I could have Jay. The funny thing is, a thread like this takes days to move, and yet the whisper of any alternative CAM application, and the thread is whooshed in Off-Topic, faster than you can say burrito....:lol:

17 hours ago, Mick said:

The funny thing is, a thread like this takes days to move,

Threads like this, it's "generally" me who moves them......I've not been around as much......when I did see it, I moved it  :P

19 hours ago, Mick said:

I guess I could have Jay. The funny thing is, a thread like this takes days to move, and yet the whisper of any alternative CAM application, and the thread is whooshed in Off-Topic, faster than you can say burrito....:lol:

So you are saying Hardmill the burrito is fast?

• Haha 1

Getting back to your original question Mick, there is no existing logic in any "Generic" C-Axis Lathe Post from CNC Software that provides a "limit" on the C-Axis. The only options are:

1. Signed Continuous - Axis is allowed to "wind up". This setting supports both positive and negative output, greater than 360 degrees. So you could get C-1180., or C1080 for example.
  2. Signed Direction, Absolute Angle - This gives you +- 360 degrees. (720 Degrees of "total travel"). The Positive/Negative output will also control the Rotation Direction.
  3. Absolute - All rotary positions are Positive and output is limited from 0 - 360 degrees.

You would have to add your own logic to do the "limiting" of the C-Axis, and that could get really complicated, depending on exactly what you are attempting to achieve. When you say "C-Axis Path", are you cutting on the Face or the Cylinder?

4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Getting back to your original question Mick, there is no existing logic in any "Generic" C-Axis Lathe Post from CNC Software that provides a "limit" on the C-Axis. The only options are:

1. Signed Continuous - Axis is allowed to "wind up". This setting supports both positive and negative output, greater than 360 degrees. So you could get C-1180., or C1080 for example.
  2. Signed Direction, Absolute Angle - This gives you +- 360 degrees. (720 Degrees of "total travel"). The Positive/Negative output will also control the Rotation Direction.
  3. Absolute - All rotary positions are Positive and output is limited from 0 - 360 degrees.

You would have to add your own logic to do the "limiting" of the C-Axis, and that could get really complicated, depending on exactly what you are attempting to achieve. When you say "C-Axis Path", are you cutting on the Face or the Cylinder?

Colin! Colin! Colin! I emailed you about this a while back, but you never replied... I was sad... so sad :(

Hah, anyway, it was milling on the face. It seems that it is a common problem encountered by a lot of people. Most people (including me), just use wireframe geometry, and break the arc into quadrants, which forces the C axis breaks.

8 hours ago, JParis said:

Threads like this, it's "generally" me who moves them......I've not been around as much......when I did see it, I moved it  :P

Circle Threads like this, it's "generally" me who moves them......I've not been around as much......when I did see it, I Lock  it  :P

Fissed  :lol:  I will ban myself John.  See yas next month.  B)

Glad you got it sorted Mike.

• Haha 1
On 3/26/2018 at 4:19 PM, Mick said:

Colin! Colin! Colin! I emailed you about this a while back, but you never replied... I was sad... so sad :(

Hah, anyway, it was milling on the face. It seems that it is a common problem encountered by a lot of people. Most people (including me), just use wireframe geometry, and break the arc into quadrants, which forces the C axis breaks.

Sorry I missed that one Mike. I scanned back through my email last night, and didn't see an email about the C-Axis. Maybe it was a part of one of our other email threads? Anyway, sorry I didn't reply. The last six months have been pretty rough. My wife health has not been good. My life has revolved around hospitals, doctor's offices, Naturopaths, Physical Therapists, and more Snake Oil BS than you can shake a stick at. MRI's, X-Rays, CT Scans, and what is the result.....    "everything looks fine, we're not sure what's wrong. Let's run the same series of tests again!"

I try to pop in here and help when I can, but that's about the extent of my availability these days.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Sorry I missed that one Mike. I scanned back through my email last night, and didn't see an email about the C-Axis. Maybe it was a part of one of our other email threads? Anyway, sorry I didn't reply. The last six months have been pretty rough. My wife health has not been good. My life has revolved around hospitals, doctor's offices, Naturopaths, Physical Therapists, and more Snake Oil BS than you can shake a stick at. MRI's, X-Rays, CT Scans, and what is the result.....    "everything looks fine, we're not sure what's wrong. Let's run the same series of tests again!"

I try to pop in here and help when I can, but that's about the extent of my availability these days.

Colin,

Sorry to hear that I hope she gets well soon.