Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mystery plane from Gview???

chipman

21 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Known issue erase your groups and you should not see it again.

Hmm. I certainly believe that it will work. Thanks,

As far as groups go, who uses them? I understand that Mastercam uses them in the background with things like "results" 

But to me, they seem worthless, as you cannot select them in any toolpaths? AFAIK.

Is it something that carried over from old versions of Mastercam where there were limitations on how many levels you could use?

I ask all of this because I remember having lots of issues with group manager having many groups which in turn made toolpath manager act bizarre. The two of them do not get along well. 

It seems that they share some similarities (file locations or ??) as you cannot have Machine groups, toolpath groups or groups called the same name. At least that is what I recall.

18 minutes ago, gcode said:

I think he was referring to Groups as in View /Groups.

I don't use them and really can't think of why I would want to... but I'm more than will to listen to anyone who does use them

Groups I would agree with....don't use, never have.....that's probably why I immediately thought Machine/Toolpath groups first  :)

I hid my post as it was irrelevant to the thread

Edited by Guest

Yes, I sensed he was referring to this.

groups.png.9197015ff996d6caf79d48068cf71aa6.png

The group manager has caused me nothing but problems back many versions ago.

As toolpath manager would lose focus resulting in what you see below.

Corporate told me to purge the group manager, that usually worked,  and that problem went away some versions ago.

op-man.png.6bf08bbbd9533fb22499864cf8c90173.png

Honestly, wish I could disable it!

Here it goes again : Groups is the only logical element in Mastercam  which allows a geometry element to belong to SEVERAL GROUPS at the same time. Using levels as a way of  compartmentalizing  stuff on your screen has the drawback  that  belonging  to a level is  exclusive .  

And now two practical examples. 

1. Design :  I design molds  and at the end of the design process I have three main "logical"  groups  :  the core , the cavity side and the part.  All this can be something like 20 to 200 solids and I have navigate them  efficiently.  So , I  choose all the core parts AND THE PLASTIC PART and call that the core Group.  I then select all the  cavity parts AND THE PLASTIC PART and call that  the cavity Group.  After that  I can choose a group  and do an  Alt-E (hide)  and I have  half  of the mold  AND ALWAYS THE PLASTIC PART on my screen. 

2. Machining : Sometimes  I have a bunch of solids ,  surfs and wireframe which are just the right mix for the job at hand  on the screen .  But  for some reason  (e.g. mastercam becomes sluggish , even unresponsive ) , it would be easier to just kill the session and start anew .  Out comes Groups , crl-A  (all visible on the screen )  and I call it machine  1, 2...

etc .  and I have  neatly captured the situation  at hand. I can kill the session  , open the file in a new session and alt-E the Group machining.  WHATEVER  I HAD GOING ON EARLIER like levels  ( I don't use them , but some other "crazy" might :) )  , colors  , DOES NOT GET DISTURBED . And no "only display  associative geometry" will not do the job....

Once you put stuff out to be used , someone will find it useful. There are  some 200 000  legal Mastercam  users  out there each one  a clever  little beast in his own domain .  To foresee how someone will use some feature or positively "misuse" it , becomes impossible to predict because of the sheer numbers.  

I don't use sheets , which  does not mean that the feature  should  be "erased" :) .I

remember one story back from V8 or V9. We had this Anvil or some other semineutral  file  format  that (NFL ????? , could be something else .....)  was becoming obsolete . Well it  was dropped . The next week the new version was out  ( no Internet  at that time, so things were slow :) ) there's an angry phone call to CNC  that this feature was very important  to somebody  so please put it back .  It was some sort of a  "misuse" for someone looking from the outside , but not for the guy on the inside.

Gracjan

• Like 1

Ok, Husker , a simple yes to your question  would have sufficed  :). Although it is  a pretty compelling reason to use it.  

Third reason for using Groups : It is a reiteration of some sort of the other two ... If you merge geometry , it can be easily repicked , as it gets  to be automatically  put into a group. Now let's say the file you are merging  has  levels  ,    repicking  the merged data w ill not be possible using  levels  as that filter will most probably be tainted  if you have the same  levels used in the parent  file.

Gracjan

Well, sorry but I am travelling and do not have access to Mastercam right now.  But the issue is in relative to WCS.  This is a really neat function because you can select which workplanes you want relative to the gview that you have selected and you can add all of the relative planes that you wish very quickly.  If you click around a little there you will find out how you can set it to only add the selected  gview that you wish to create.  

You can also rotate the gview to orient it the way you wish to and get the arrows pointing in the right direction.

20 hours ago, bobwiss59 said:

Well, sorry but I am travelling and do not have access to Mastercam right now.  But the issue is in relative to WCS.  This is a really neat function because you can select which workplanes you want relative to the gview that you have selected and you can add all of the relative planes that you wish very quickly.  If you click around a little there you will find out how you can set it to only add the selected  gview that you wish to create.  

You can also rotate the gview to orient it the way you wish to and get the arrows pointing in the right direction.

Well, look at the screen shot of the first post in the thread.  You will notice that "TOP OF BOTTOM BLOCK" is the current WCS.  It is assumed that this WCS was created from the Gview and the others were automatically associated from it because that is the selection that he has from the relative to WCS.  Just one, two, or all can be created depending upon the selection.

Of course Mastercam can be misbehaving which is typically resolved by shutting it down and starting again.

So go ahead and try the planes functions and you will see that you can create one plane or all associated planes depending on how your selection is regarding associated planes.

Incidentally, I do like using groups for molds, but for most things I prefer viewsheets.  I also use level sets a lot that group levels together if you have them all named the same  simply by right clicking in level set and selecting all on or all off.  It is handy, you may like that for mold work also to use inconjunction with your groups.