Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

500mm Horizontals

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Sorry to read that Sticky - that's a p!ss poor cluster fuk of issues for you to deal with. I hope you kept your customers.

We have a joke here, "Makino is a bankruptcy service, they don't consolidate your debt, but they will create it for you". That and anytime anyone in the shop gets screwed on delivery dates, has to deal with vendors sending bad parts or any sort of incompetence, we refer to is as getting "Makino'd".

Out of the 6-7 techs they sent here to try to work on these machines, not even one had ever replaced a spindle, changed a ballscrew etc. They are literally just install guys, zero field service experience.

Do you think anyone from Makino has said so much as said sorry, tried to compensate for the issues, or even some piddly sh1t like sending us a free coffee mug, t shirt or hat? NOPE.

Yeah that stinks. USUALLY the techs they send here are very knowledgeable and have a lot of experience. That may be more of a function of the area we are in (Chicago), and our local dealer. Also, I have never used a non-Japanese machine but I have heard some pretty good feedback on the F series from people in the area. What it sounds like is that you got a lemon and now a bunch of hacks are making things a lot worse. 

Mike

None of the techs are from this area, they are all from OH. Our local Makino reseller didn't do the install, and none of their techs have been here.

Obviously this isn't the way things have always gone at Makino, or they would cease to be in business. But two simple, albeit high end and expensive machines returned right out of the gate, and the replacements moderately better is not a great start to a relationship.

To be frank, dealing with Makino has been worse than what I would have guessed dealing with a  Chinese knock off company is like.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:05 AM, YoDoug® said:

Hello Mastercam peeps. At my new job we are spec'ing out a new 500mm  horizontal. Since I am no longer bound to Okuma by employment I am looking at Mori and Makino in addition to Okuma. We have roughly 150 different part numbers that need to be set up for small batch production so we are looking at 10-20 pallet systems. The parts are all very similar and share common tooling so 60 ATC will handle all of our needs. All aluminum parts but no really small tools so 15k rpm should be adequate. I am looking for any opinions and experience with the following machines. 

Makino A61NX W/pallet system

Mori NHX5000 2nd gen W/pallet system

I've had an NHX5000 2nd gen for just over 2 yrs now and it's been awesome. 5 pallett RPP, 240 tools and high torque 15k spindle. 

Some people think the NHX series is inferior to the NH-DCG machines but that's definitely not the case with the Gen2... 

Not sure if you're aware, but the Gen3 machines have just been announced. Seems like they are the same as Gen2 but with Fanuc 31i

instead of Mitsubishi M730 as the base control.  Also, the RPP is now available with up to 21 pallets...

Oh, and CELOS might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's awesome on a production machine. Clear and simple management of 

program files, tools and pallets. 

https://en.dmgmori.com/resource/blob/44886/18c425f92e4073eb0792687790ec0890/pm0en-nhx4000-5000-3rd-pdf-data.pdf

https://en.dmgmori.com/products/automation/pallet-handling/rpp

NHX5000.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, YoDoug® said:

Hello Mastercam peeps. At my new job we are spec'ing out a new 500mm  horizontal. Since I am no longer bound to Okuma by employment I am looking at Mori and Makino in addition to Okuma. We have roughly 150 different part numbers that need to be set up for small batch production so we are looking at 10-20 pallet systems. The parts are all very similar and share common tooling so 60 ATC will handle all of our needs. All aluminum parts but no really small tools so 15k rpm should be adequate. I am looking for any opinions and experience with the following machines. 

Hmmm, sounds like an Okuma MB-5000H would fit the bill. I recall you might know a thing or two about that machine? lol

Hmmm, sounds like an Okuma MB-5000H would fit the bill. I recall you might know a thing or two about that machine? lol