Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Realign 5 axis

I know this may be the wrong place, but everyone here has been instrumental  to me learning, and being productive at CNCing. 

I have an issue whereas the spindle on the Motionmaster router [5 axis head head] started getting really hot, and hte bearings started grinding up.  The facility maintenance personnel removed the spindle, and replaced the bearings for half the cost of the bearings we were quoted from DMS. Well we were up and running just swell for about a day before the bearings started having issues again. Apparently the one purchased only runs up to 10k. Now that we have the correct specified bearings installed, the spindle was installed out of alignment. They are claiming that there should be a one button push to reteach the spindle where the home on each axis is. I'm doubtful, as Imagine you need some sort of reference [dial indicator from the table to locate B and C axes, and Z heights]. I'm currently looking through the Fagor installation and user manuals, but figured I could also ask here. Is there a button that would self center the spindle after being removed and added/replaced? Any references on how to realign this would be greatly appreciated as I know my B axis is out, and it shows big time.

Many thanks,

Wuktis

The times I was involved resetting up a new Head/Head spindle we had a stand with 5 indicators on it to measure a test bar in a variety of positions. We were supplied a program to run while we did this that would record all of the positions and at the end it could accurately record the center of rotation for both rotary's.

The only way to potentially automatically do that on machine tools at this time that I am aware of is with a probe and something like Renishaw's AxiSet 

• Thanks 1

If it is like my DMI (aka DMS) . There is a bolt pattern on C and B that must be physically dialed in and adjusted.  make sure B is vertical then adjust C centered with spindle center. there is a parameter that you need to enter pivot point of B to gauge too.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RaiderX said:

If it is like my DMI (aka DMS) . There is a bolt pattern on C and B that must be physically dialed in and adjusted.  make sure B is vertical then adjust C centered with spindle center. there is a parameter that you need to enter pivot point of B to gauge too.

Makes perfect sense, and we got the head dialed in. Running some test, all looks great ATM.