Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

2 hours ago, Frank Caudillo said:

2020 processing times are seriously impressive. I'm still mostly using 2017 but when I do use 2020 it just feels quicker, especially with verify and stock models.

I'm not sure which toolpaths support it, but some now use your video card's CPU's in addition to the normal computer CPU to crunch toolpaths,

That assumes your video card and drivers support  OpenCL (version 1.2 or better)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I bought a scratch and dent from Boxx last week

I had to look really hard for the scratch or dent, but finally found it

It was a light scratch, 1/2" long on the removeable side panel.

It's been touched up with black paint and it knocked $1K off the purchase price.

It's an Apex S3 with an i9-9900K @ 3.6 GHz . overclocked to 5.0 GHz

32GB 0f ram

Quadro P2000 video card

512 GB M.2 SSD hard drive

I replaced the P2000 with a Quadro RTX 4000 and added a 1GB SSD storage drive.

I plan on maxxing out the RAM @ 64GB as well

If anyone wants to make a offer on a brand new Quadro P2000 video card, PM me

I had the Multi Threading Manager set to 8 thread/Priority at High

My time on the Benchmark 3.0 file is 3 minutes 3 seconds

Bemchmsrk 12-15-19.JPG

21 hours ago, gcode said:

I bought a scratch and dent from Boxx last week

I had to look really hard for the scratch or dent, but finally found it

It was a light scratch, 1/2" long on the removeable side panel.

It's been touched up with black paint and it knocked $1K off the purchase price.

It's an Apex S3 with an i9-9900K @ 3.6 GHz . overclocked to 5.0 GHz

32GB 0f ram

Quadro P2000 video card

512 GB M.2 SSD hard drive

I replaced the P2000 with a Quadro RTX 4000 and added a 1GB SSD storage drive.

I plan on maxxing out the RAM @ 64GB as well

If anyone wants to make a offer on a brand new Quadro P2000 video card, PM me

I had the Multi Threading Manager set to 8 thread/Priority at High

My time on the Benchmark 3.0 file is 3 minutes 3 seconds

Bemchmsrk 12-15-19.JPG

I just ran the benchmark on my work PC, a 4 year old i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz, overclocked to  4.5GHz

It ran 4 minutes 12 seconds... so the new rig is about 25% faster than the old rig

I can take a nap with my work laptop.  Time to figure out what's wrong with this thing.  Absolutely atrocious. 

8 minutes 36 seconds..... in 2020, this is twice what my personal rig did using 2018.  I'm going to have to fire up the personal rig here soon and install 2020 and run it on that.  Now, i knew this machine was slow, but this is ridiculous slow.  I don't even want to think about doing heavy duty 5 axis toolpaths on this machine...

I was at a customer today and was doing some transformed toolpaths.  It was taking well over a minute to regen a 7 place 10 operation rotary transform op.

This thing is operating so slow it's almost broken.

28 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

I was at a customer today and was doing some transformed toolpaths.  It was taking well over a minute to regen a 7 place 10 operation rotary transform op.

This thing is operating so slow it's almost broken.

Make sure your transform op is set to NCI, not geometry. 

I've had this problem as well. I think MC2020 is defaulting to geometry

1 minute ago, gcode said:

Make sure your transform op is set to NCI, not geometry. 

Yeah I had it set on geometry, but this was typically my go to method as I was working with moduleworks paths mostly, and it was pretty much a requirement...

I'll try it with NCI and see how it goes, but regadless, it takes waaaaay longer than it should.

9 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Yeah I had it set on geometry, but this was typically my go to method as I was working with moduleworks paths mostly, and it was pretty much a requirement...

I'll try it with NCI and see how it goes, but regadless, it takes waaaaay longer than it should.

NCI on some files 3-15 seconds. Geometry on other 2-5 minutes. NCI all the way. 

10 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

I was working with moduleworks paths mostly

I normally use the internal ModuleWorks transform/rotate that's on the Utility page of each operation.

It's simple to use, and regens instantly. Of course that won't work if you need to transform or rotate a

group of operations all at once

2019-12-18_9-53-46.thumb.jpg.0e5fac1d1285fe5655d2fb6e8be3ce07.jpg

My  new rig...Built an all around home computer capable of running Mastercam.  downloaded file selected all and regen...looks like the cut tol was .0001.

Not too bad I am happy with it...no overclock....nice and cool...

Not shown are my two  970's running  RAID 0..

2019...can't wait to try 2020...but I am still on 2019 to stay with customers.

.1222034365_Untitled(2).thumb.png.52321264e133d0c472f179215de0467d.png

• Like 1
On 12/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, cncappsjames said:

image.png.860ce84f745b991bbd10e30eba0e7f16.png

5:50 for my rig. Can definitely go get some  :coffee: before working on another part. I would expect it to be faster honestly. 

One of the first things I did when I bought my new rig was run this benchmark.

Right out of the box it ran 3:04 at 4.97GHz

Since then I've swapped out the video card, added another SSd drive, installed all the software I use

and off and on spent a week chasing a problem.

The machine WOULD NOT go to sleep. I tried all the trouble shooting stuff with no luck.

I finally narrowed it down to my Logitech wireless G900 mouse.

You can run it wired via a USB cable or wireless and it also charges when plugged to the USB cable.

When putting it to sleep the mouse's charging system woke it right back up.

I played with all the power settings on the USB ports and everything I could think of to no avail.

I haven't had this problem in the past and believe it is related to a bug introduced in the latest Windows upgrade (1909)

For the time being I solved the problem by switched to a wired mouse.

Getting back to work.. and the machine was a completely unusable pig.

Checking the task manager my professionally overclocked i9 was running at 1.3 GHZ !!!

I ran the benchmark and it came in at over 9 minutes. 

Running the Mastercam files I'm working on was like crawling through neck deep mud. 

At this point I was ready to sit down and cry as I had no idea what was wrong, or if I had damaged something,

After shutting it off, walking away and thinking about it a while, I figured out the problem.

In the course of trouble shooting the sleep issue,  I had set all the power plans back to default, but left the machine

set on the default Power Saving plan.

I switched it to the default High Performance plan and it's running at 5GHz again and the benchmark is back to 3:04.

James,  I believe your rig is a high end laptop... is there any chance the slow performance is due to power plan modifications??

Try restoring the High Performance plan to default and running the benchmark again. 

Can the average guy run a benchmark test on their computer?Where can I get the instructions on how this is done? Very interested in seeing what my computers can do. Very low IQ on the in's & outs of computers, but one of the guys here has built several computers over the years, that we run MC on. I don't know if he knows to do this.

7 hours ago, Rob B said:

Can the average guy run a benchmark test on their computer?

It is specifically designed for that. 

You open the file, select all the operations, open the log (it's in task area near your clock) clear the log, then regenerate. The log captures all the time elements. 

• Thanks 1