Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

image.thumb.png.96e48edc34438bdef4d386b9035e2611.png

Went into power settings and a couple things were not set to maximum so I reset to the default and changed a couple video defaults. 5:44 if my math is correct. One more year this rig needs to last then I'll get another one. 

I think I'm going to migrate away from the Xeon on a laptop and go with the fastest i9 I can get, and drop the Dell preference. Their configuration options for pro level engineering class portable workstations is just too small for my liking anymore. Their next day (usually) onsite support is pretty great, but, if I can't get what I want or need, well... 

So, I've got around 12 months to do my research, so I better get started. It's going to be around a $4,500-$5,000 USD rig and I like it to last 3 years. LOL 

• Like 1

Just reran this in 2020.

My 2018 time was 3:57

2020 is 3:07

image.png.ef50ba1ab14cbec75f7d42e290b73212.png

image.png.d361ed7521d5f4c9a8a81a4dc790f1a0.png

cpu is overclocked to 4.4ish ghz

It's interesting to compare this to g-codes i9-9900. That processor seems to win on tool path generation but with more cores on the 7960X the stock model seemed to regen a bit faster. Maybe it's time to make another benchmark thread that will crunch for a bit longer to really reveal some more useful information. Maybe add some 5ax moduleworks paths with some heavy collision checking into the mix? I have seen those paths use 100% of all cores on some more complex stuff.

I wish someone would bite the bullet and build a 3950X AMD rig and run this benchmark.🤓

6 hours ago, Zoffen said:

Just reran this in 2020.

My 2018 time was 3:57

2020 is 3:07

image.png.ef50ba1ab14cbec75f7d42e290b73212.png

image.png.d361ed7521d5f4c9a8a81a4dc790f1a0.png

cpu is overclocked to 4.4ish ghz

It's interesting to compare this to g-codes i9-9900. That processor seems to win on tool path generation but with more cores on the 7960X the stock model seemed to regen a bit faster. Maybe it's time to make another benchmark thread that will crunch for a bit longer to really reveal some more useful information. Maybe add some 5ax moduleworks paths with some heavy collision checking into the mix? I have seen those paths use 100% of all cores on some more complex stuff.

I wish someone would bite the bullet and build a 3950X AMD rig and run this benchmark.🤓

What did you have the Multithreading utility set at??

I was set at 8 cores and high priority

I had it set at defaults...which were 4 threads and normal priority. Im not sure it respects that setting because when you look at my process manager it will show alot more than 4 threads being used. Kinda odd.

I will run again set to use all 32 threads and a high priority and report back.

16 minutes ago, Zoffen said:

I had it set at defaults...which were 4 threads and normal priority. Im not sure it respects that setting because when you look at my process manager it will show alot more than 4 threads being used. Kinda odd.

I will run again set to use all 32 threads and a high priority and report back.

The multi-threading setting sets the maximum number of toolpath threads Mastercam can process simultaneously, not the maximum number of CPU threads it can use.

• Like 1

I normally select the operations in the MUlti-THreading Manager and set them to High Priority. It makes a difference. 

Reminds me BITD (mid to late 90's) when I had multi-cpu rigs and running multiple sessions of Mastercam... I'd set affinity on my first instance of Mastercam to run on CPU0 and the 2nd session to run on CPU1, etc.... Stable AF if you did it that way. And faster too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

I can take a nap with my work laptop.  Time to figure out what's wrong with this thing.  Absolutely atrocious. 

8 minutes 36 seconds..... in 2020, this is twice what my personal rig did using 2018.  I'm going to have to fire up the personal rig here soon and install 2020 and run it on that.  Now, i knew this machine was slow, but this is ridiculous slow.  I don't even want to think about doing heavy duty 5 axis toolpaths on this machine...

I was at a customer today and was doing some transformed toolpaths.  It was taking well over a minute to regen a 7 place 10 operation rotary transform op.

This thing is operating so slow it's almost broken.

Well, I just took some time and did some more research as I didn't have anything better to do this morning.

This machine was broken!

Anyway, reverted the Intel Thermal Framework Drivers back to April 2018 and I can get a benchmark regen in 4 minutes flat, playing with priority and whatnot didn't seem to make a lick of difference.  I'd call that a win considering I was 8:36 before.  Clock speed seems to be bouncing around properly, and not just stuck at .78 like it had been for the last few months.  Now that I have a handle on what the problem was, everything seems to be running faster and as it should be.  I can actually watch a youtube video now without it skipping, lagging, and pegging out the integrated graphics.

Wahoooo, maybe there is hope for this laptop yet.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Uhhhh isn't this actually 3:33 ?   You need to go by the time stamps on the left not adding up the total time on the right.  IMHO I think this is a very very good result.

oh good call. thanks, this was a custom build desktop from cyberpowerpc, cost me 1300, or 1350$ something like that and i am happy with it so far, the Ryzen series processors i think are great and Nvidias Super gfx cards are a good deal for their performance imo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Programinator said:

Just ran the benchmark file for 2021 - 3:53

History of my results:

2019 update 3 - 4:37

2020 update 2 - 3:57

2021 - 3:53

Not much of a speed boost from 2020 to 2021 like there was from 2019 - 2020 

Where can I get the file - I would like to test it...

Thanks in advance

Just made the Benchmark 3.0 test on 2021 (fresh open of file with 2021, clear log, regen all ops in the tree, no edits, no save, nothing) :

i7-3930K @ 3,2GHz, 32 GB DDR3 RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 PLUS, 480GB SSD, Win 10 Pro x64 - all self-built in 2013 - only added the bigger SSD and new GPU - today

1) No of threads = 4 ; priority = NORMAL -> 5:46 [min:sec]

2) No of threads = 8 ; priority = NORMAL -> 5:26

3) No of threads = 16 ; priority = HIGH -> 5:19

4) No of threads = 6 ; priority = NORMAL -> 5:25

No big differences when messing with the thread # and priority.

The result didn't knock me off the chair, unfortunately :D

Well maybe it's time to look for a new machine...

I still wonder wether the GeForce GPU is a good choice and does it have anything to do with the toolpath calculations? Anyone have a clue? 🙂 I'm asking because the Quadro prices are at least twice as those of GeForce. And last (but definetely not least) - Quadro's parameters are usually worse than those of GeForce (amount of memory, amount of CUDA cores, memory bus width, memory clock rate, etc. - my logic tells me that these are after all very important parameters)...

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, milehighxr said:

Got my new toy, er pc today

Intel I9-10900k

64gb ram 

Quadro P2200

Samsung 970 pro 

Asus Prime Z490

3:17 to run the benchmark. I'm happy😊

what did that system run you? just curious because I got about 1400$ into a desktop pc that ran this test benchmark in 3:33.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Reko said:

13 year old computer... 6 minutes, 59 seconds.

Don't be jealous.  😁

LOL .. my PC can run it twice and still beat that old dog....   Sad!!!    :harhar: 

EDIT  If you go back to the original Benchmark thread, sub 10 minute times were considered very fast in the early days

PC's and the software have come a long ways

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...