Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

On 10/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, Frank Caudillo said:

spec new computers for my shop and I doubt th

HP Prodesk 600 G3

i5-7500 3.40Ghz

16gb Ram - generic? Not sure, IT supplied this to me this year

Nvidia Quadro 2000

500 Samsung SSD

2020 Mcam

Benchmark came in at 5 minutes 14 seconds. Kinda shotty for a 8 month old computer.

My main complaint are the 3 hour regenerating times on a daily basis. 

2 minutes ago, mackenzieruiter said:

Benchmark came in at 5 minutes 14 seconds. Kinda shotty for a 8 month old computer.

An i5 is not an appropriate processor for a CAD/CAM machine

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mackenzieruiter said:

Maybe think about adding some Ram 16gb is very low

5 minutes ago, gcode said:

Which processor should we have gcode?

I'm thinking about getting a new tower.

54 minutes ago, gcode said:

I am beginning to understand the minutia involved with running a shop and this year, programming time has been a killer. 

The IT guy flat out told me he didn't know what is best for running CAM software when I asked for a new computer. 

Short talk with the owner, with some numbers proving downtime, and ill be building a rig in January.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

New here, I'd been researching machines to get as replacements for the guys in our shop (I'm in I.T.) I came across Boxx and ordered one to test it out. Here's my benchmark result on a Boxx Apexx S3, i9-10900K (Overclocked to 5Ghz), 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000. If I'm reading it correctly I believe it's 2:24.

Boxx Apexx S3.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, USD said:

Hello All,

New here, I'd been researching machines to get as replacements for the guys in our shop (I'm in I.T.) I came across Boxx and ordered one to test it out. Here's my benchmark result on a Boxx Apexx S3, i9-10900K (Overclocked to 5Ghz), 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000. If I'm reading it correctly I believe it's 2:24.

Boxx Apexx S3.png

I would like to see 64GB RAM min or even as much as 128GB RAM, but that is what I have currently and has done me well.

• 2 weeks later...

The verdict is in;  Time is money. 5:12 old - 3:18 new.

image.thumb.png.8e988eef96566a018008205ba73dd2b9.png

Old Rig;

Dell Precision 7710 running Windows 10 x64
Intel Xeon E3-1545M v5 @ 2.9Ghz Quad Core
64GB 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Quadro M500M w/ 8GB
Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus SSD @ 1TB

New Rig;

Dell Precision 7750 running Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i9 -10885 2.4Ghz to 5.3GHz
64GB 2933Mhz DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Quadro RTX4000 w/ 8GB
Samsung PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD @ 1TB

Siggy update to folow.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

@gcode is correct. Max Turbo Boost speed.

So far this new laptop is impressive. Money well spent. I've not gone into the BIOS and done anything yet. Out of the box.

I have no hands on experience with a laptop/processor like this, but I believe you can configure it in different ways

All cores  with one common boost speed with which be lower than the 5.3 max speed

or some cores running slower and some running flat out 

36.5% improvement regardless of how I split/allocate the horsepower is significant and impressive... for a laptop. If I could improve on that... all the better.

No question a desktop would perform better. A desktop is not my world though. I live on the road and a desktop just isn't practical in my line of work.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

Oddly, I take a 7 second process time hit if I set multi-threading priority to "high"... That was unexpected.

I wonder if Thread Priority is affecting the use of Cache? Did you set all three threads to 'High' priority? That could be creating a bottle neck.

I'd suggest running the benchmark, with all three set to 'normal priority', but manually changing only a single thread to 'high', and see if that makes any difference...

4 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

@gcode is correct. Max Turbo Boost speed.

So far this new laptop is impressive. Money well spent. I've not gone into the BIOS and done anything yet. Out of the box.

James might look to something like this. It is compatible. I am thinking about getting 2 of them.

ae2c15ac-38bc-41b8-8b0e-13c6a9215494.__C

KLIM External Laptop Cooler

The Picture shows a side mount, but on the Dell we need to mount on the back. We have 1cm x 7cm exhaust slot and that is perfect for these units when closed. I normally have my 3 monitors hooked up to mine running through the Thunderbolt Adapter. 

• Like 1