Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

Only problem with that is my backpack is already over 35lbs... and every time I hoist it up into the overhead bin in the Flight Attendants give me the "...WTF you got in there???" look.

:rofl:

Well it is only 4.2 ounces and from what I am reading make a hugh difference keeping laptops cool. I keep mine on a Zulman cooler pad with 220mm fan and it still gets pretty hot time you Run CAM,CAV and do 10 other things I am doing. Why I am thinking of adding 2 of them so when I am onsite for a customer I don't have to lug the cooling plate around.

getImage.do?atchFileId=FILE_000000000003

Link

• Like 1

"!When handling hardware threads marked for high performance, Intel® Turbo Boost Technology increases the clock speed up to the Max Turbo Frequency. For example, the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K processor has a base frequency of 3.60 GHz, and a Max Turbo frequency of 5.00 GHz"

Source : intel.com

Gracjan

Changed the threads from the default of 4 to the 16 I have... from 3:18 to 3:09. Still no change to the BIOS yet. I Did force Mastercam to use the RTX graphics card though yesterday with no time difference.

Decent. Would be nice to drop into the sub 3min. category. But this is acceptable.

image.png

• 1 month later...

I've always wondered how Xeon compared to an i9 on the processing front, specifically with Mastercam

Ran the benchmark on my Xeon w/ Quadro card and my time was.....

3:26s which I was pretty impressed with. It is a 9 month old build with only 16gb RAM on board. I was impressed with the fact that i only have 16gb and it still did sub 4minute processing time. Cool! Good to know I have a rock solid workstation

On 5/2/2021 at 3:03 AM, pullo said:

I ran the benchmark  3.0 on my home machine , a 4,00 GHz i7 on all the mcams I have installed:

2019  4:54

2020  4:18

2021  4:06

2022  4:21 

the 2022 was a bumpy ride .

Gracjan

Did the same test on my machine.

2019  4:35

2020  3:57

2021  3:53

2022  4:05 !!

Looks like we took a hit with 2022 on speeds!!

I noticed the increase in time with 2022 during my testing as well. I chalked it up to beta but looks like it still remains in the main release. I assume it is coming from some extra processing for the new linking in Hybrid, I don't see any other differences in the paths than that?

@RaiderX I linked the download in a blog post here...
https://blog.caminstructor.com/whats-the-best-computer-for-mastercam

@Metallic I don't think this file is a good test for RAM. It is really a CPU benchmark.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, mwearne said:

I noticed the increase in time with 2022 during my testing as well. I chalked it up to beta but looks like it still remains in the main release. I assume it is coming from some extra processing for the new linking in Hybrid, I don't see any other differences in the paths than that?

@Metallic I don't think this file is a good test for RAM. It is really a CPU benchmark.

As CAMInstructor stated in the video, you're right it is more a CPU benchmark. He also said it would be ideal nowadays to have a benchmark test that can test everything, especially graphics performance.

Anyone know if there is work being done to get a benchmark 4.0 that includes more testing parameters?

On 6/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, mwearne said:

What does having extra RAM for Mastercam benefit? I assume it allows for more multitasking and multithreading but I don't really know. As far as my task manager is concerned I rarely see my RAM usage go above 12GB using Mastercam.

I know there are a handful of threads out there about optimizing your Configuration/Settings/System for maximum performance but RAM never seems to come up

18 hours ago, Metallic said:

What does having extra RAM for Mastercam benefit? I assume it allows for more multitasking and multithreading but I don't really know. As far as my task manager is concerned I rarely see my RAM usage go above 12GB using Mastercam.

The benefit of RAM is that it is WAY faster than your hard drive, even if you are using a SSD. If there is no room to store info in RAM, it gets passed to the hard drive.

How much do you need than to keep Mastercam happy? It really depends on the size of the files you are working on as well as how much multi tasking you do...do you have multiple softwares open that are also using large amounts of RAM.

I'll link a white paper on SolidWorks that shows diminishing returns with RAM amounts above 16GB, even with a 20,000 component assembly. This doc is a little old, they are talking about 4th gen intel chips which puts that around 2013-14, so things have probably changed since then. Also, Mastercam may be different here and may use RAM differently, someone from CNC would have to chime in on that.

https://www.boxx.com/Files/Files/WhitePapers/CATI_White_Paper.pdf (page 4-5)

But if you give SW 16GB, Mastercam 16GB, Chrome is a RAM hog so sky's the limit here, add some email app, music app, plus you'll want to a bit of buffer for those fringe cases...you can easily justify 32, 64, or more. Keeping in mind even in the worst case scenario everything will run with 8 or 16GB, just a lot slower since programs have to access the HDD for information. 

Price, RAM is one of the cheapest upgrades you can make so why not get more than you might need. 16GB is probably under $100, so upping to 32GB from 16GB is not too hard to justify. Those building out 2-3k+ machines, adding an extra 2-300 for max RAM should be considered. 

• Like 1

I ran an interesting experiment this morning

My work machine is a 6 year old Boxx

an i7 running at 4ghz.. 32g of ram  and a 3 year old Quadro p4000 video card

My co worker just got a new machine, less than a month old

an i9 Boxx running at 5ghz, 32g of ram and a Quadro RTX 4000

both machines run Samsung 500g SSD's

I'm programming a big impeller and I timed verify launches on my machine and his

The initial stock model is made from a 38 meg stl file

I defined the stock model as verify stock, selected all the toolpaths in the file and launched Verify

my machine takes 48 seconds to launch verify and have it ready to run

my co-works new machine takes 20 seconds.

Considering that I do this hundreds of times a week, it's pretty good argument for a new computer

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally have some MAC BOOK specs to add here. 

the image below shows the 2021 macbook specs, and if anyone is a computer nerd that likes to look at the task manager specs while its processing I hit the record on camtasia so there is a video below as well, not much info on these macs with mastercam out there but personally I love this thing, super light and powerful in my opinion, im positive there are desktops out there that will blow this thing out of the water but I really like this thing.

laptop specs;

macbook-pro.jpg

Results; test #1 with camtasia running

results.jpg

Test #2, no camtasia or web pages open

test2.jpg

video; (disclaimer, the video super boring for most people, nothing interesting happens and is just the task manager mostly and waiting on toolpaths to process)

https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/joshc_fastechinc_net/Eclo8iubbH1CqTx5QhMP9YoBXLsfBN8FHni8bs0mlmPMCQ?e=MBXQvg

also im running bootcamp for the windows 10 operating system

bootcamp.jpg

also I did this in mastercam 2022 but if anyone is super curious about it I am willing to run it again in another version of mastercam.

another note:

not all macbooks can run mastercam, you need the higher end models with the intel chips, as far as I know the M1 chips can not run mastercam

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

That's 6:15 by my calculation. Is that about right @JoshC?

yea its not super fast for this benchmark, not sure why cuz I do find this thing really fast for most calculations and i feel like i beat my nice desktop with some other calculations recently, may just be related to the types of paths or something, but yea not super impressive compared to a lot of others but really impressive for the laptops weight. this thing feels like so light weight, feels like im working on a ipad with a keyboard basically. half the time i use it like a desktop and plug a nice keyboard and screens into it, the other half the time when im doing training and stuff i use it just as a laptop but its the lightest computer i have ever owned and runs my mastercam, solidworks, spaceclaim etc really nicely in my opinion, I've never been a mac fanboy but after this system im a believer in mac products.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, JoshC said:

yea its not super fast for this benchmark, not sure why cuz I do find this thing really fast for most calculations

I did check out the video and noticed the cpu speed slowing down throughout the process. Were you plugged in or on battery? Guess this could also be an effect of heat build up so the chip may have been throttled, did you notice any excess heat while running? I think you should def be able to pull faster speeds on that system.

...just noticed you were plugged in but I guess we should keep in mind Camtasia was running as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mwearne said:

I did check out the video and noticed the cpu speed slowing down throughout the process. Were you plugged in or on battery? Guess this could also be an effect of heat build up so the chip may have been throttled, did you notice any excess heat while running? I think you should def be able to pull faster speeds on that system.

...just noticed you were plugged in but I guess we should keep in mind Camtasia was running as well. 

im going to re-run it real quick cuz i was a bit surprised as well from those results with how fast this feels using it

edit: second test gave me a better time without camtasia running with the macbook pro, this time it appears to be 4:50 for total regen time

test2.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/30/2021 at 4:22 AM, JoshC said:

another note:

not all macbooks can run mastercam, you need the higher end models with the intel chips, as far as I know the M1 chips can not run mastercam

M1 chips are ARM processors and can only run Windows ARM, so it's not possible to run Mastercam.

• Like 1