Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, gcode said:

I just ran this on my new Boxx Appex S3_06 at work

i9 11900K  overclocked to 5.3 ghz

32g ram

Quadro RTX 4000

2 min 35 seconds

Surprised they would ship such a power hungry workstation to you. 😐

:rofl:

Pretty soon those idiots running Kommieforniastan will allow us to only use calculators... solar ones.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, gcode said:

It is, so fast I`m wondering if I did something wrong

I`ll run it again tomorrow 

I got around to rerunning the benchmark and I was doing something wrong

I was using a 2017 vintage benchmark file

I ran it again using the 2022 file and my time was

3 minutes 11 seconds

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2018 MacBook Pro running Bootcamp. i9-8950HK, 32Gb RAM, Radeon Pro 560X

MC2022 Update 1 (24.0.19884.0)

Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.1556). Updating Windows on Bootcamp gets sketchy with graphics card drivers, so I try to keep it locked down.

With all background processes turned off I get 3:35. With my normal other stuff running, just a couple seconds shy of 4 minutes.

I think these laptops are fantastic, but they do have a heat problem. It regularly hits 100C and has to throttle to keep cool. I keep it on a riser with fans actively blowing on the body to help, but still gets quite hot.

We have a couple other MacBook Pros to test here at work, I'll post about those when I get results and a hardware spec sheet.

2021-11-02_17h51_19.png

Edited by Defeatingzero
Forgot to include thermal aspect of test
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, R-Miller said:

Lenovo Thinkpad P17

Mastercam 2022 update 1.

i7, 32gb ram, Nvidia Quadro T2000

(0% use of the GPU) - is this normal?

3 min 15 sec.

image.png.5aa09e2e2ce6a705c53676be902ee616.png

Not to be knit picky but looks like 3:43. 6:19:51 to 6:23:34
Just pointing out incase you compare future builds. or versions.

There is an in depth thread somewhere on GPU and multicore usage in Mastercam. Not sure if that was here or the main forum. To summarize it, 'sometimes the gpu is used'. They found that for the most part, the time needed to prepare data for GPU usage and then receiving it back negated any gains that the faster GPU calculations had. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

It is a Windows problem…go into your Bios and disable your switchable graphics. 

Might be an off topic but I have / had a problem with the built-in Intel graphics. Disabling it in device manager coursed me problems in windows with lag making the computer unusable. Strange but true. Is there any difference in disable it in bios rather than in windows device manager?

6 hours ago, R-Miller said:

Might be an off topic but I have / had a problem with the built-in Intel graphics. Disabling it in device manager coursed me problems in windows with lag making the computer unusable. Strange but true. Is there any difference in disable it in bios rather than in windows device manager?

I bought a new Dell precision laptop and they had me disable the switchable graphics on the BIOS, Dell blames Windows.....Previously it was controlled by the Nvidia manager by selecting the GPU for the specific application. By disabling the on-board video it causes the system to solely run on the high performance GPU....it uses more battery!! Not sure about general windows performance as I mainly use my laptop for Mastercam.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, #Rekd™ said:

I bought a new Dell precision laptop and they had me disable the switchable graphics on the BIOS, Dell blames Windows.....Previously it was controlled by the Nvidia manager by selecting the GPU for the specific application. By disabling the on-board video it causes the system to solely run on the high performance GPU....it uses more battery!! Not sure about general windows performance as I mainly use my laptop for Mastercam.

That makes sense, the fan for the gpu would draw a lot more power if its running all the time, which is what you probably want, since nvidia gpus have great performance

56 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

That makes sense, the fan for the gpu would draw a lot more power if its running all the time, which is what you probably want, since nvidia gpus have great performance

GPU fans draw very little power compared to the GPU itself.  Optimus (for nvidia gpus) is a multiplexer setup to switch between dedicated GPU and integrated GPUs.  When switching to discrete it only operates using the discrete GPU.  Now, if Mastercam is using the GPU to compute anything this won't, or shouldn't, matter as optimus in the drivers will automatically use the discrete GPU for calculations when called on.