Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

1 minute ago, meatychips said:

GPU fans draw very little power compared to the GPU itself.  Optimus (for nvidia gpus) is a multiplexer setup to switch between dedicated GPU and integrated GPUs.  When switching to discrete it only operates using the discrete GPU.  Now, if Mastercam is using the GPU to compute anything this won't, or shouldn't, matter as optimus in the drivers will automatically use the discrete GPU for calculations when called on.  

Source?

Since the utilisation on the gpu is only a few % that would suprise me, I was guessing the cooling system would be the biggest culprit. Especially on my desktop with a fan that sounds like a helicopter starting up! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm testing a PC running MC2022, should I save the file as a 2022 file first?  I just bumped up from 32 to 64gb of RAM and wanted to run the benchmark again.

For some reason I'm getting times of like 11-12 minutes.  Prior to the new RAM I was getting 4:40.  Not sure what's going on!

• 3 months later...

New computer day! And boy howdy did this make a difference.

Intel i9-12900kf processor

Arctic Freezer ii 240 AIO cooler

Nvidia RTX 3080ti graphics card (edit, Gigabyte OC edition)

32gb DDR5 Ram @ 6000mhz

Asus Z690-P MOBO

1000 watt EVGA power supply

Meshify 2 case

All storage is m.2 NVME 

2 minute time. This is a new dawn for Mastercam.

And yes, I am a gamer and this is also my gaming/streaming build

2022-03-11_16h24_24.png

• Like 4
17 hours ago, JohnnyStauf said:

New computer day! And boy howdy did this make a difference.

Intel i9-12900kf processor

The 12 series Intels are really killing this file. After only seeing small incremental improvements over the last 5-6 releases, this is very good news! 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Johnny M said:
  • 11th Generation Intel Core i9-11900K
  • Windows 10 Pro (Includes Windows 11 Pro License)
  • 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 UDIMM
  • Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, 8GB, 3DP,
  • 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 M.2 SSD

2 Min 30 Sec 

Nice!

I remember when anything under 10 minutes was a great time 

1 hour ago, gcode said:

Nice!

I remember when anything under 10 minutes was a great time 

February 6th 2008 

Dell precision XN T7400

8GB DDR2 SDRAM

3.2 GHZ QUAD CORE NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600

160 SATA 10K

XP PRO X64

4MIN 15 SEC

Just Retired this Computer

1 hour ago, Johnny M said:

February 6th 2008 

Dell precision XN T7400

8GB DDR2 SDRAM

3.2 GHZ QUAD CORE NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600

160 SATA 10K

XP PRO X64

4MIN 15 SEC

Just Retired this Computer

I was referring the the old Pentium 3 and 4 days   :whistle:

I remember crunching a flowline for a guitar neck on a 266MHZ Pentium in the 90's.  Took about half an hour.  I'd set the stepover and tolerance way loose to test and adjust things until I liked how it looked, then crank it down and crunch it.  Now I figure somethings up if it takes more than a few seconds.

And I did walk uphill both ways barefoot in the snow...

And I liked it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Anyone have issues with 2023 not running the Benchmark file?  I'm getting a new PC today and I wanted to compare old vs new, but I'm not able to regen the last toolpath.  

All good here. I ran it on 2023 when it first came out and just now with Update 2 installed, no issues on either.

The last op, I think its usually op 3 to finish last, typically does take a little longer than the rest to finish. Maybe it was still chugging away?

Just got a new laptop, and the benchmark time isn't what I was expecting.  Anyone have an idea where I could be lagging?

I'm getting a time of 3.98 minutes.  I feel like this should do better.  Am I expecting too much?

Windows 11
Intel® Core™ i9 12950HX 12th Generation
NVIDIA RTX™️ A5500 (16 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
64 GB DDR5
1TB SSD

126161601_Screenshot2022-10-26151658.png.c6b8bc02c5fb340077a244ce9fbde7f4.png
17 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Just got a new laptop, and the benchmark time isn't what I was expecting.  Anyone have an idea where I could be lagging?

I'm getting a time of 3.98 minutes.  I feel like this should do better.  Am I expecting too much?

Windows 11
Intel® Core™ i9 12950HX 12th Generation
NVIDIA RTX™️ A5500 (16 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
64 GB DDR5
1TB SSD

126161601_Screenshot2022-10-26151658.png.c6b8bc02c5fb340077a244ce9fbde7f4.png

Make sure to open the Options in the Multi-Threading Manager (! button) and set the threads and default priority. For your system you could max out threads at 24 and priority should probably be set to High.

38 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Is your switchable graphics disabled on the BIOS? It could be running on the On-Board graphics card vs the Nvidia card.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyStauf said:

Make sure to open the Options in the Multi-Threading Manager (! button) and set the threads and default priority. For your system you could max out threads at 24 and priority should probably be set to High.

Tried that.  Thank you.  Not sure what the deal is.  I've gotten drastically different times from about 2.5 minutes to over 4 minutes.

655215427_Screenshot2022-10-26155650.png.c418c1b74003b59ba2b713707b7bd04b.png

4 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Is your switchable graphics disabled on the BIOS? It could be running on the On-Board graphics card vs the Nvidia card.

I haven't messed with the bios, but I dedicated it to MC in the graphics settings.  Should I do it in BIOS as well?

16 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I haven't messed with the bios, but I dedicated it to MC in the graphics settings.  Should I do it in BIOS as well?

Run the file again with the Task Manager - Performance open and see if the Nvidia GPU registers any demand while running. If it doesn't shown any demand it is likely running from the On-Board video card.

6 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Run the file again with the Task Manager - Performance open and see if the Nvidia GPU registers any demand while running. If it doesn't shown any demand it is likely running from the On-Board video card.

It reached about 10% for a split second.  Most of the time there was no demand though.