Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 3.0

pullo

7 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Just got a new laptop, and the benchmark time isn't what I was expecting.  Anyone have an idea where I could be lagging?

I'm getting a time of 3.98 minutes.  I feel like this should do better.  Am I expecting too much?

Check your power options in the control panel. Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options. Make sure you are not in Power Saver mode. (thats for W10, not sure where that is in W11)

You could try running plugged in vs battery and see how much change you get there too.

Another other apps open when running the benchmark? Any bloatware installed on the machine?

8 hours ago, JB7280 said:

It reached about 10% for a split second.  Most of the time there was no demand though.  

image.png.edb4f3d440d00b137bd93fb1dfe1bcad.png

Try changing the Task manager GPU monitor to Cuda. I don't know what kind of calculations Mastercam does but for example when I'm rendering 3D animations it uses Cuda cores and the graph goes up to 99% for most of the rendertime.

15 hours ago, JB7280 said:

It reached about 10% for a split second.  Most of the time there was no demand though.  

For a test you can disable the switchable graphics in the BIOS. Then select the Nvida GPU as your device through the device manager in Windows. Then re-test it. This will determine if the switchable graphics is the problem. 

9 hours ago, Simon Kausch said:

image.png.edb4f3d440d00b137bd93fb1dfe1bcad.png

Try changing the Task manager GPU monitor to Cuda. I don't know what kind of calculations Mastercam does but for example when I'm rendering 3D animations it uses Cuda cores and the graph goes up to 99% for most of the rendertime.

Mine doesn't have a Cuda option.  

10 hours ago, mwearne said:

Check your power options in the control panel. Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options. Make sure you are not in Power Saver mode. (thats for W10, not sure where that is in W11)

You could try running plugged in vs battery and see how much change you get there too.

Another other apps open when running the benchmark? Any bloatware installed on the machine?

No other apps open that show up in task manager, aside from background processes.

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

For a test you can disable the switchable graphics in the BIOS. Then select the Nvida GPU as your device through the device manager in Windows. Then re-test it. This will determine if the switchable graphics is the problem. 

I opened the BIOS, and set the graphics to discrete.  That should do it right?  Device manager only shows the A5500 GPU.

14 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Mine is a Dell so it is different. 

I should be getting better times with this though, right?  I honestly don't care about the Benchmark times, per se.  But I do want to make sure I'm getting the most I can out of a PC that cost this much.  

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

You should be at least around the 3:00 min mark based on your system. 

Interesting, I was expecting better.  I see guys in the 2:00 - 2:30 range, with slightly slower processors than mine.  Is it the laptop aspect that is bogging mine down?

16 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Interesting, I was expecting better.  I see guys in the 2:00 - 2:30 range, with slightly slower processors than mine.  Is it the laptop aspect that is bogging mine down?

The graphics card should have minimal effect on this file, although I have not tested that specifically, just that Mastercam does not use the GPU very often in toolpath calculation, at least that's my understanding. Still, yes, be sure you are set to use the card as it will make a difference elsewhere.

If you are getting drastically different times randomly, I would suspect power management somewhere is in play. Again, assuming no other apps are using the CPU. Did you confirm the performance setting in the Control Panel? Could also be heat build up. If you run it when first powering up and get good times, then re-running the times get worse and worse, probably the CPU being throttled due to heat built up. 

Are you running plugged in or on battery?

But ya, that is the trade off with laptops, small container is good for mobility, bad for heat management and power reserves.  

2 hours ago, mwearne said:

The graphics card should have minimal effect on this file, although I have not tested that specifically, just that Mastercam does not use the GPU very often in toolpath calculation, at least that's my understanding. Still, yes, be sure you are set to use the card as it will make a difference elsewhere.

If you are getting drastically different times randomly, I would suspect power management somewhere is in play. Again, assuming no other apps are using the CPU. Did you confirm the performance setting in the Control Panel? Could also be heat build up. If you run it when first powering up and get good times, then re-running the times get worse and worse, probably the CPU being throttled due to heat built up. 

Are you running plugged in or on battery?

But ya, that is the trade off with laptops, small container is good for mobility, bad for heat management and power reserves.  

2 hours ago, gcode said:

If this is a laptop, it should be plugged in and the Power setting should be set to max

Under default laptop power settings, the CPU is throttled back to save battery power

It is plugged in, and I'm guessing this is the power setting you're referring to?  it was at 5% minimum.  

1432313002_Screenshot2022-10-27170215.png.dba3936d1187712e18b109594edc4492.png

I changed it to 100%.  Got 3.3minutes.  I'll try it again in the morning when the PC is fresh.  The laptop IS plugged in, by the way.  

So finally got to run the test file in 2022 (update 2, haven't installed 3 yet) on my new system.

Dell 3650

Intel i7 11700,  8 core, 2.5ghz to 4.9ghz (max I've seen so far is 4.8ghz)

32GB DDR4, (2x16 at 3200mhz)

Nvidia RTX5000 (16GB)

1TB M.2 SSD

Capture.PNG.d58a7c8f89fdeef3c4453fdb4a34b64f.PNG

System was supposed to be a Dell 3660 with an i9 12900k (8P cores 8E cores 2.4ghz to 5.1ghz) liquid cooled

32GB DDR5 4400mhz (2x16)

RTX A2000 6GB

1TB M.2 SSD

Not sure how much of a difference I would see between the 2 systems, but overall not horrible. 3min if you all the times up, 2:45 if you go by straight time.

One of the other programmers will be getting the 3660 I was supposed to get so once I get it set up for him I'm gonna run the benchmark file. I will say I wasn't on top of it when I ran the benchmark on my pc in setting the multi threading to realtime as I may have missed it by a few seconds but I don't think it would make much of a difference.

8 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

The system in my post above is a Dell 3660.

I was wondering if it was. Looks like you're roughly 30sec faster then my 3650. Not sure if it's worth complaining to corporate to get them to replace mine with a 3660 or not.

I did a regen on a stock model yesterday from a part I finished a few weeks ago and it wasn't a whole lot faster then the i7 2700k I had o'clocked to 4.2ghz system I had with 16GB of ram and a P2200 Quadro.

Seeing you have a k processor maybe you can answer this. Does Dell give you methods to o'clock the processor in the BIOS? Or are you relegated to software that will do it thru Windows?

4 minutes ago, BBprecise said:

Does Dell give you methods to o'clock the processor in the BIOS? Or are you relegated to software that will do it thru Windows?

No clue!!! I assume (being Dell) it is controlled by windows.

6 minutes ago, BBprecise said:

I was wondering if it was. Looks like you're roughly 30sec faster then my 3650. Not sure if it's worth complaining to corporate to get them to replace mine with a 3660 or not.

I think it has more to do with the chip in my test being a 12th generation chip, most of the faster times have been on 12th generation chips.

7 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I think it has more to do with the chip in my test being a 12th generation chip, most of the faster times have been on 12th generation chips.

I'm sure it is as newer chips are usually more efficient. Not sure if 2021 helps or not as I know that I've seen newer versions have slower processing times.

I'll probably just stick with my i7 as the battle to get it swapped out to an i9 is probably more then its worth.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...