Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 4th axis advise

LeoC

Hi:

It has been about 15 years since I have programmed for a 4th axis and that was in Gibbs. This is being done on a Haas and programmed with MC4SW 2019 and I used the generic 4th axis post. The stock is 2.5" in diameter and programmed from the centerline using a 3/16 ball end mill. The thing that I am concerned about since I am inexperienced with 4th axis programming is that the feed rates seem pretty high. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

LeoC

sample engraving.NC

sample 4th engraving.SLDPRT

I don't know if it's the "preferred" method.  I use the default Haas post, and Haas machine definition.  At another shop I worked the live tooling Viper lathe also used inverse time feed in the programs. 

Do a search on inverse time feed rate calculations, so you can better understand how the post handles your tool paths.

Thanks Roger, I am using the same post and definition that you are. I noticed in your posted code that a G93 is not called out. Is that because when we set up the 4th inside the machine we enter the diameter of the part? Or does the posted code need to be edited to show a G93?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am usually the go to guy here in this shop for the micro machining stuff so the 4th is new to me.

LeoC

The problem with entering a diameter into the setting is if you change the diameter you are effectively cutting at, your feed rates will not be correct. Inverse time is the preferred method on older Haas machines.  

The control's setting for diameter is irrelevant when using G93. The only real downside to inverse time on a 4th axis is not having the ability to change the feed rate in the program at the machine.  But, your feed rates will be correct regardless if your tool position changes relative to COR.