Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

screw compressor in the shop

cherokeechief79

we now have an 80 gallon piston compressor that is on its way out.

we can get a screw if we want one.

I'm looking at the ingersol rand with the 80 gallon tank.they have a 120 gallon too but it wont fit in the little compressor room weve made.

we have one of these in the adjacent bldg. and they opted for the 120 gallon unit because of the additive mfg machines.

it seems nice and quiet but I also think that it runs ALL the time even when there is no air demand.

anyone have any feedback on this type of compressor?

we have 4 haas vertical cnc mills in our shop an edm and a haas umc 750 5 axis.

the old compressor kept up ok so I'm thinking the 80 gal will be ok.

your thoughts?

We had a couple of Kaeser screw compressors and they were great.  We started with a 25HP and when we needed to add on, put another 25HP in.  They were plumbed so the 2nd one would only kick on when pressure got low and the first couldn't keep up.  They would also idle when it hit set pressure.  Very few issues with them and they lasted many years.  Main thing for any compressor is regular service and to make sure they are in a room that they don't get too hot or cold.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with a screw. We had a thumper forever but once we kept adding machines it seemed to run non stop. Added a 250 gallon tank inline that helped some.

Bought a small screw and it wouldnt keep up. Now have a 20 horse I believe and it does great. I know longer need to use accumulator tank. With the auto air guns ect on our haas its great. I do however use the old thumper when running on off shifts running unattended. If I blow a air line I would rather burn that one up vs. the screw. How many horse screw you looking at?

Primarily it's not about the reservoir tank. It's about the CFM.

Secondly it's about the reservoir tank, as the size then gives the compressor breathing space to unload and even switch off.

Thirdly it's about the size of your building - you say the 'little building' they built. Heat can kill compressors fast, because they produce a lot of heat.

What's the model (cfm), what's the demand per machine (cfm), how long is the runs and what size pipe have you running around linking all your machines to the compressor (bigger bore is better - it acts as a reservoir) and lastly, are you air tight?

We changed all our machines so when they sat with no spindle running (waiting for 1st off etc), the air bleed around the spindle wasn't on. This saved a HUGE amount of air and also stopped the constant HISSSSSSSS that you get in a shop

We have a 15hp kaeser with the built in dryer for a shop with 7 cnc's.  (5 mills, 2 lathes)  

At our old shop we had it on a mezzanine and the constant noise drove me insane.  At our new shop we have it in a covered space outside which has been great.

I wouldn't go back to a piston compressor...ever.