Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wood engraving project

movillermv

Hello I am new to this forum and fairly new to mastercam been working with the software for a couple months now, started off with featue cam and realized mastercam has more options when it comes to decorative things. my question is what tool paths are best for engraving wood to make the lettring or figures really pop in the wood grain I have used a surface contour on some basic 2d line geometry, would a engraving process be the at to go with changing depths and features to make images look more 3d ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018 at 3:49 PM, movillermv said:

Hello I am new to this forum and fairly new to mastercam been working with the software for a couple months now, started off with featue cam and realized mastercam has more options when it comes to decorative things. my question is what tool paths are best for engraving wood to make the lettring or figures really pop in the wood grain I have used a surface contour on some basic 2d line geometry, would a engraving process be the at to go with changing depths and features to make images look more 3d ?

Engraving toolpaths can work, but you can probably achieve that desired look using 2-D pocket & contour, along with an engraving bit to chamfer edges, and use different depths. The nice thing is the things you learn in Mastercam from this are applicable to all sorts of other work

• 2 months later...

Yup, that's an error dialog  :)

No file, no pics, no info, so some guesses

Is the tool to big to fit into the geometry at the desired depth?

Is the step over to big for the tool?

We had to use Incremental depth settings for a couple versions, have your settings been checked?

Just a few things off the top of my head

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/16/2018 at 4:19 AM, movillermv said:

Hi buddy, any update regarding this like which one you went with? I am planning the same so bumped this thread rather than making a new one.

Regards,

Seder Smith