Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Lathe Machine

We are locking quote for a new  lathe our specification require:

Double spindle (3000 rpm or more)

Spindle Bore: Min 2"

Twin Turret, Live Mill 6000 rpm MIN.

Material : SS 303 and Aluminum 6061 

We have quote for OKUMA LT2000-EX-2T2MY and DMG-MORI NZX-2000

I like to hear your opinion about these machine, other recommendation are OK.

Thanks in advance.

MES

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, jeff said:

I'm biased toward Okuma

I am also.

We don't have any twin spindle lathes, but do have an big 5x trunion mill (MU1000H)

and a 5axis vertical lathe (VTM-1200)

They amaze me with their accuracy and durability on a regular basis.

The MU-1000 is nearly 5 years old now and has spent that time doing heavy high speed 5X roughing and finishing

of steel impellers, 24/6

I recently did an aluminum 3X surfacing project on a parabolic surface  for an antenna going into space on this machine

The requested best effort tolerance was .025mm Max Material over a 30 x 40 elliptical parabolic surface, but they would buy up to .075mm.

A 60hp geared 4K spindle is not the ideal choice for a job like this, but our high speed Mitsubishi 4X HMC had already failed the CMM

inspection on the +.050" trial cut

To add to the problem, the machine had it's regular work to do as well

Since the machine has 2 pallets we did it's regular work on one pallet during the day, swapped pallets and machined the antenna  at night  unattended,

one 8 hour shift for a .015 semi finish pass then 14 hours straight for the money shot.

The final results .04mm and a very happy customer.

When you consider how we've been using this machine for the last five years, I find this hard to believe, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

I program and run an LT3000 every day. We just ordered an ABB IRB 4600 to automate it, should be here in 6 weeks. There are few things that I really like about the LT3000. 

1. The thermal stability is awesome. I can start it up in the morning and the first part is in tolerance. Likewise, the machine sits very close to the overhead door that we bring material in and chip buckets out. In the winter that door opens and the shop temp drops by 10-20 degrees in a heartbeat. The machine stays stable. 

2. The combination of the restart function and machine lock/CAS. I have my post almost perfect for our setup. I do not edit code at the machine. If I need to make a change I change it in TopSolid, repost and go. The machine lock and CAS functions allow me to run through the program quickly and safely to make sure we don't have any possible crashes. Then with the restart function I can restart easily at the right places for both turrets and finish the part.  

3. The open API of the Okuma control. I have an app I made in C# that communicates with a Koyo PLC. The app watches certain signals in the machine like door open, in cycle, etc. Then it sets coils in the PLC to control chip conveyor, air knife on window, etc. The conveyor control is a big deal because the conveyor has an air knife to clear aluminum fines from the conveyor. The PLC minimizes the conveyor run time to only when needed so we are not wasting a lot of compressed air. I am working on adding a EIP output to the app for the robot cell. Our cell is designed to run multiple part numbers unattended. The machine tool is the master and will use the API app to pass variable info to the robot for part length, pick point, etc. This way we just use the machine schedule program functionality for production. 

4. Lastly, but maybe most importantly is the ability for the NC to watch IO signal and make decisions. I have my post output a check at the beginning of each tool to check to see if the spindle that tool is working on is clamped. If it is not clamped it skips to the end of that tool. This allows me to run the same program for spindle 1 alone, spindle 2 alone, or both at the same time. It makes setup and prove out of new program very quick. 

• Like 3

We have no Okumas in the shop, but have over a dozen Mori mills and lathes. The mills seem pretty solid (for what they are, were crashed many times before I was hired on here). I don't run them, but it seems like the NL lathes are near constantly in need of maintenance/repair. Not sure if that's the machines or the programmer though... sometimes his live tool rough cuts sound similar to what I program on a big cat50 mill.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, mkd said:

Mori is no longer fanuc, right? it's their front end driving Mitsubishi drives (like mazak), right?

All depends on the machine series.  Not sure what they are doing right now, but I think the mills are gravitating back toward Fanuc with the most recent series of NH machines.  I believe they are all pretty much an option, but I don't know, and you can't really see what the standard options are for each machine... 

I turned some little A286 parts on my Macturn when it was 16 years old. Morning to afternoon all i experienced was under .001" insert wear (i guess).

Temp probes in the casting a  scale on X seem to be doing the trick. Keeping in mind this machine has been shipped around the world a couple times, an setup in current spot by a goofball (me) i'm impressed.

Edit: especially impressive given the turning stick / tools are literally hanging off a BT40 holder:blink:

16 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Nakamura & Eurotech would be on my short list to look at also.

We own an Eurotech Elite Multiflex since 1997 and it still one of the fastest machine here, but 20years of production has it's downside, the machine is loose from evreywhere lol

Thanks for all your comments. Finally our  decision is OKUMA.  Good machine and good service in this area (GOSINGER). 

One question. Are you using MC Mill Turn to programming this machine.?

Thanks in advice...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MES said:

Thanks for all your comments. Finally our  decision is OKUMA.  Good machine and good service in this area (GOSINGER). 

Thanks in advice...

I use TopSolid to program our LT3000, but I do know from my last job that Mastercam does have a decent MT post and simulation for the LT2000.

1 hour ago, YoDoug® said:

I use TopSolid to program our LT3000, but I do know from my last job that Mastercam does have a decent MT post and simulation for the LT2000.

Yeah, they assured us they had a good post/machine sim setup for our NTX2000... hilarious. Though probably less hilarious if I was the one that had to debug it.

16 hours ago, Ewood42 said:

Yeah, they assured us they had a good post/machine sim setup for our NTX2000... hilarious. Though probably less hilarious if I was the one that had to debug it.

Mastercam or TopSolid? I know a lot of the Mastercam MT posts are relatively new. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, MES said:

Thanks in advice...

I know some of the LT machines are already done in MT. You will want to use MT to get the turret syncs correct, much easier. Where are you located? Either way Gosiger will take good care of you.