Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Swarf Mill trouble

ujmujm

I'm trying to do a 55 degree cone inside  1" diameter material, I'm using a Swarf mill ( pattern) tool path on a Matsuura MX-520 with a post written by Postability and when the table rotates 55 degree's the tool looks like it's going where it should until the machine reads the (G43.4 H1 Z5.0)  then I get a over travel alarm on the ("Z", "Y")  the "X" still looks good though, I think it's a machine setting or a post issue, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hum do you have the CAMPlete to test it with?

Do you have your planes defined correctly? Do you have the machine sim tied to the post to test it? If you have it defined where the A cannot go in the negative direction enough then I might expect to see this issue. You may need to position in such a way you can swing the part to machine such a shape. Might try a 4 Axis process where you lock the A axis in position and spin the C axis. In full 5 Axis I would expect to see some issues doing what you described.

Those are excellent questions lol, I've tried moving my planes to different locations and got the same result, I get a "y" over travel alarm, my part is in a 5C collet and about 12 inches off the table, I will try the machine sim and CamPlete, locking the A-axis would work great in this situation how ever I multiple parts that the Swarf would be perfect for, I really need to get proficient with these tool pathes.

1 minute ago, ujmujm said:

Those are excellent questions lol, I've tried moving my planes to different locations and got the same result, I get a "y" over travel alarm, my part is in a 5C collet and about 12 inches off the table, I will try the machine sim and CamPlete, locking the A-axis would work great in this situation how ever I multiple parts that the Swarf would be perfect for, I really need to get proficient with these tool pathes.

Advanced Swarf doesn't allow for locking of the Axis where as the old school swarf does allow locking to a 4 Axis process. You can do this with Parallel and change to only one pass, but loose some of the abilities Swarf does give you.

Machine is more than capable of doing what you need, and Camplete gives you options to lock things that Mastercam doesn't so keep that in mind. I can take something out of Mastercam and lock X negative only in Camplete, that would almost be impossible to do in Mastercam. You can change a 5 Axis toolpath to a 3+2 and a 3+2 to a full 5 Axis in Camplete so don't under estimate the power and control it gives you. 

I tried the machine sim using the Hurco profile which looked similar to the Matsuura configuration and it looked good, as for the machine I'm really happy with it we've only had it a year and we have another one on order and plans to replace five 20 year old DMU Maho's  I don't have any experience with full five axis, I guess I better take a class fast.

We have a Matsuura MX 520 also. Camplete came with the machine when we purchased it. I use Camplete for everything that goes through that machine. Occasionally an older 3 axis job will get run in it. Other than that Camplete is used exclusively for posting..