Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis engraving

Metallic

I have a part for a client that involves engraving text around a cylinder. The problem I am facing is that Project Curves is not engraving it on the part correctly (looks like the Z heights are off or something). Anyway, in Vericut it works just fine, but on the actual machine its cutting air.

Its a trunnion style machine and I am pretty sure I cant do Rotary toolpaths. Here is a pic of the Project Curves path and also a pic of my setup

project curves.JPG

IMG_2363(2).jpg

5 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

is your tool touched off correctly in relation to the center line? If it looks good in Vericut then it is not a Mastercam problem.

There is tool center point compensation on so theoretically the part could be anywhere in space, no? In vericut i tested this theory and put my part 2 inches off C axis center and it compensated fine.

That particular fixture should rotate true to centerline.

Touched off in relation to centerline how? Its possible that I need to change something about where I am zeroing from, but as I said, the controller should be able to compensate, unless this is a specific case of it not being able to.

Thanks

If i lower my drive surfaces offset it will engrave about 1/3 of it, and then taper off and cut air, which seems like its definitely something on the machine itself. Like its not rotating correctly or something.  It has never been crashed and the centerlines were calibrated not all that long ago, so kinematic specific issues seem less likely, but I suppose still possible. Ive done morph, swarf and other toolpaths recently with no issue. hmmmmmmm

Vericut supports the toolpath is correct. Have you tried just a simple no TCP? Simple test cut the diameter of the part above .01 and see if it tracks that correct if it doesn't then it has to be something some where that is making it go hay wire. Rule out all the knowns and then start searching for unknowns.

Just a thought, TCPC relies on a known center point to track properly. Did you set you  Parameters 19700 thru 19703?

I agree with Millman, just save yourself the headache and turn off TCPC.  Unless you're not rotating about the centerline, there's really no advantage that I can see in this situation. 

Your Vericut Control File is not setup to accurately mimic the behavior of the machine. I know that is of little consolation at this point, but it is something that you should investigate. If you paid CGTech for the Control building, then you'll need to contact Service and create a case. Make sure that when you run the test simulation, that you verify the motion on the machine.

• Thanks 1
On 5/3/2018 at 5:32 AM, Guess_who said:

Just a thought, TCPC relies on a known center point to track properly. Did you set you  Parameters 19700 thru 19703?

I agree with Millman, just save yourself the headache and turn off TCPC.  Unless you're not rotating about the centerline, there's really no advantage that I can see in this situation. 

Thanks for the info...Im using a Hurco Max5 controller though, so the TPC has to come off in the post level if i am not mistaken. Which is easy enough to do. I am going to run an experiment after i finish this other part to test a theory i have

Just to muddy these waters some more, I set the fixture up waaaaay of centerline of the C axis and it cuts air in the exact same fashion as when it is on centerline.

Now I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Are there any other approaches I could use to engrave this apart from Project Curves?

Thanks guys

IMG_2376.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 10:57 AM, Metallic said:

Just to muddy these waters some more, I set the fixture up waaaaay of centerline of the C axis and it cuts air in the exact same fashion as when it is on centerline.

Now I have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Are there any other approaches I could use to engrave this apart from Project Curves?

Thanks guys

Did you Turn off TCP.

18 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Sounds to me the way the tool lengths and how the rotary center are measured aren't the same.  Is one set to spindle face and the other spindle gage line?

This is possible for sure....the tool setter is set from the gage line, not the spindle face and then that offset is used to get tool lengths. The tool setter may need recalibrating.

I fudged the numbers to make it work and get the parts done (not ideal), but i would like to get to the bottom. Its not a CAM issue, so I will wrap this up and call it good for now.

18 hours ago, DUM1 said:

CONTOUR 3D AXIS SUB THUMBS UP

I will keep that in mind from now on

On 5/7/2018 at 9:18 AM, Guess_who said:

Did you Turn off TCP.

No, didnt get around to it. will probably play around with later this week when I have the time to calibrate things again

• 2 months later...

Another job came in...very similar rotary process. Was way off on C...so i knew it had to be hardware.

Tech comes in next day and checks machine level. Well, over the past year the machine has settled into the floor, throwing the C rotary way off and causing these issues. Now we recal and do centerlining on our machines every 6 months moving forward.

Thanks everyone for the input!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Another job came in...very similar rotary process. Was way off on C...so i knew it had to be hardware.

Tech comes in next day and checks machine level. Well, over the past year the machine has settled into the floor, throwing the C rotary way off and causing these issues. Now we recal and do centerlining on our machines every 6 months moving forward.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Thanks and glad you finally found the unknown. ;)