Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Move to Origin

Grimes

Time for a new question. So I draw my parts in solidworks, and import them. Today I was squaring up material. When I draw the part with chamfer's usually on the first side, its on the center line of the material. On the second op I flip the model, but now have to go off of the machined surfaces. So I try to move the part origin to the corner, but there is no origin point on the corner of the part with the chamfers.

So, say youve got a 4 x 2 inch block, with .25"x45 chamfer's on the corners, and a .025"x45 chamfer on the top face, how do you move to origin without a point? Today i just drew the geometry to the point, but I'm thinking there must be an easier way.

You would create a WCS for the second operation and if you can't select a piece of geometry, you can modify the value for the WSC in the WCS Manager. So if you are off by .025", then adjust the X/Y component of the WCS to get it to where you want it.

Carmen

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Rstewart said:

I just pace a point at the theoretical point where the material would be without a chamfer.

Might take 30 seconds...

Bounding box. Select corner. Then delete box if desired. 20 seconds. :P

Usually i create a bounding box on a separate level when I start just for this reason. Easy to just pick a corner.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you can move the origin a single axis at a time.  You can move the origin to the edge of the part at the chamfer, then grab a single axis and drag it down to the bottom of the part (or where ever you want it) and snap to it.   That will move the origin in a single direction to what ever Z level that you snap to without affecting the location in X or Y.

In your situation, you can move in any single direction at a time until you have the origin snapped to the corner.

https://i.imgur.com/nA7bV6R.png

• Like 2

Ok, so im gonna try to reply to most of the posts...

23 hours ago, Redfire427 said:

You would create a WCS for the second operation and if you can't select a piece of geometry, you can modify the value for the WSC in the WCS Manager. So if you are off by .025", then adjust the X/Y component of the WCS to get it to where you want it.

Carmen

21 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Verisurf tool WCS by planes. 

Havent done anything using the WCS and just downloaded the Verisuft software. But did watch a video on youtube

and it said once you understand the WCS you wont go back.

22 hours ago, Rstewart said:

I just pace a point at the theoretical point where the material would be without a chamfer.

Might take 30 seconds...

this was more how i did it, just took me maybe 1 minute lol.

7 hours ago, BrianP. said:

Bounding box. Select corner. Then delete box if desired. 20 seconds. :P

Usually i create a bounding box on a separate level when I start just for this reason. Easy to just pick a corner.

this is what i should have done, dont know why i didnt think of doing this. Ya just throw it on another level and away you go.

6 hours ago, Radical1 said:

When you select move to origin you can use auto cursor to find intersection of the two corners of your solid. But using a new WCS works real nice also.

when i looked this up on the net this is what they said to do, but i couldnt figure it out, once i selected move to origin it was just asking for one point.

5 hours ago, Neurosis said:

Don't forget that you can move the origin a single axis at a time.  You can move the origin to the edge of the part at the chamfer, then grab a single axis and drag it down to the bottom of the part (or where ever you want it) and snap to it.   That will move the origin in a single direction to what ever Z level that you snap to without affecting the location in X or Y.

In your situation, you can move in any single direction at a time until you have the origin snapped to the corner.

https://i.imgur.com/nA7bV6R.png

this one im questioning how to move one axis at a time, because ive never seen that option and would love to know how.

as always thanks everyone for the replys

3 hours ago, Grimes said:

this one im questioning how to move one axis at a time, because ive never seen that option and would love to know how.

as always thanks everyone for the replys

I'm at home now or I would make a video for you. 

Its pretty simple - you could literally have your wcs in outer space  and as long as it is orientated correctly, you can drag each axis and snap it to a specific location.