Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to flip flip on an Okuma Lathe

I am trying to setup a simple flip flip operation on my Okuma lathe. The part just needs faced and tapped on both ends. I don't want to run all the parts thru on one side and the come back and run the second side like I've been doing. I want to run one side and flip it and run the other. But I only know how to work the main Z Work Offset of the machine. I know this machine is capable of doing what I want to do but I don't know how to get there! When I am in the "Zero Set" page I Item down and found the *Screw Pitch Comp* page which appears to me to be a list of 12 possible work offsets?? Is that actually what that is? Or something totally different? How would I set a Z work offset for the second side of my part and what do I need to program to specify that work offset? 

We have an old Takasawa that only has one work offset... Can always program the portion after the flip shifted in z by the amount you want to face from the second side, assuming you're using the same stop for both sides. Quick n dirty. Z0 doesn't always have to be the face of the part. Or program the first side shifted positive by stock to leave for post flip.

Word. Good call Edwood42. I knew this was an option but I just thought there for sure had to be a way to set a second offset. The machine is only 20 years old. Not nearly as old as the Mori Seiki lathe I have right next to it and its got separate work offsets. So I don't know. I guess I'll just go with that for now tho. 

First side

Flip operation that you will ghost to prevent posting

M00  (you can hard code this line with a manual entry) 

G50G91Z-***amount of shift***  (you can hard code this line with a manual entry) 

G90  (you can hard code this line with a manual entry) 

2nd side 

M02 (will reset the shift amount )

• Like 2

Or... have the following:

First Operation

M0 (Flip Part)

VZOFZ=VZOFZ-X (X Being the value you want to shift the zero set)

Second Operation

VZOFZ=VZOFZ+X (Shift Z Zero set back to original Zero set value)

M2

That is how I do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Mick said:

Or... have the following:

First Operation

M0 (Flip Part)

VZOFZ=VZOFZ-X (X Being the value you want to shift the zero set)

Second Operation

VZOFZ=VZOFZ+X (Shift Z Zero set back to original Zero set value)

M2

That is how I do it.

I do a pretty similar approach to this. I do have a spot in the program where it sets the absolute value for Z (VZOFZ=123.4567) as a safety, and then does the shifts after that. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I have used the Z shift codes on Okuma before, like VZSHZ (Positive Shift Value to move negative)  or this way.

(TOP OF PROGRAM)

V1=0

(MAIN PROGRAM)

M1

G91

G50 Z.125 (Z value as reference)

G90

V1=V1+1 (Z SHIFT COUNT)

V2=V2+1 (PART COUNT)

IF [V1 LE 5] GOTO N10

M2

( THIS WILL ALLOW THE MACHINE TO MAKE 6 PARTS AND SHIFT IN Z.125 FOR EACH PART.