Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2018 Runs Slower on Latest Hardware

GCPITAdmin

Mastercam Version 2018 takes twice as long to complete 'area roughing' processes on the newest state of the art PC compared to the older specification PCs.

Two PCs updated to Windows 10 1803, and a third on Windows 10 1709.

The latest and greatest PC is a HP Z8 G4 (Intel Xeon Silver 4116 @ 2.10Ghz, NVidia Quadro P5000 Graphics Card, 64Gb of RAM) using Windows 10 OS.

The older specifications (one on Windows 10 1709 and one on Windows 10 1803) both have Intel Core i7 - 6700 CPU @ 3.40Ghz) 32Gb RAM

Graphics Cards are set to high performance, Mastercam settings to use Multi-threading.

Monitor is plugged into the motherboard.

Our company even tried use the Saved Configurations > MasterCam Saved Customisations interchangeably

Why would the latest PC costing 3 times as much and much higher specifications take longer than the old hardware and identical software setup to complete the same calculations and toolpaths and so on?  

Any suggestions, and ideas welcomed!

The latest and greatest PC is a Xeon @ 2.10Ghz

The older specifications Core i7 @ 3.40Ghz

Yup, thars yer problem.  Your Xeon scores 1,654 in single-threaded performance, while the i7 scores 2,352.

Mastercam does a lot of single threaded functions.  Here's where I look to choose a CPU for Mastercam:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The Xeon would probably blow the doors off the i7 in video editing, file serving, and other massively parallel tasks, but different workloads have different needs.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Yup, thars yer problem.  Your Xeon scores 1,654 in single-threaded performance, while the i7 scores 2,352.

Mastercam does a lot of single threaded functions.  Here's where I look to choose a CPU for Mastercam:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The Xeon would probably blow the doors off the i7 in video editing, file serving, and other massively parallel tasks, but different workloads have different needs.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link to that site! That will come in handy.

I think you reported on a i7 chip, with a different clock speed in your quote though. The i7 with the score of '2,352', is for a 4.0Ghz clock speed. His score is: 2,156, for the 3.4 Ghz model. (Still really close!)

GCPITAdmin,

Get yourself a Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz, with the same 64 Gb of RAM, and your machine should perform at a much higher rate.

Sorry, but that is the typical IT response about things they don't understand. Better is in the eye of the beholder and sorry that was going backwards for Mastercam not forward. Clockspeed Clockspeed and Clockspeed are you friend not just the money spent. Over Clocking some of the cheaper processors and then Liquid cooling them with the understanding you will be replacing them every 10-16 months because you are cooking them is something I have been debating for some time now to do. Build a system and get 2 or 3 of the same processors and store them to replace as needed would be a good move. Then on your last processor build on the new system on that technology at that time and rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Over Clocking some of the cheaper processors and then Liquid cooling them with the understanding you will be replacing them every 10-16 months because you are cooking them is something I have been debating for some time now to do.

The system I'm running is factory overclocked and came with a 3 year warranty.

(see my siggy)

It's been running 50-60 hours a  week  for 3.5 years with no issues.

We have 8 of these machines varying in age from 3.5 years to 6 months.

To date we have had no troubles at all with any of them.

If you go full on mad max overclocking your machines, they will die young,

but moderate overclocking should not cause premature burn out.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gcode said:

The system I'm running is factory overclocked and came with a 3 year warranty.

(see my siggy)

It's been running 50-60 hours a  week  for 3.5 years with no issues.

We have 8 of these machines varying in age from 3.5 years to 6 months.

To date we have had no troubles at all with any of them.

If you go full on mad max overclocking your machines they will die young,

but moderate overclocking should not cause premature burn out.

You know me my friend if I am going to get crazy on over clocking then you know I am going to get crazy. :D Push it till it burns the place down then back it off 5% and see if it still burns the place down. :whistle::whistle:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

The i7 with the score of '2,352', is for a 4.0Ghz clock speed. His score is: 2,156, for the 3.4 Ghz model. (Still really close!)

Yep, realized that after posting and was too lazy to fix it.  I've been running the same i7 6700K chip at 4.5 Ghz for over two years now with a large air cooler and (knock on wood) it hasn't died yet.  At first I had it running at 4.7 but it wasn't stable.

Time was you could double your processing speed by updating every two or three years.  Time's past, performance is pretty flat.  I expect this rig to last at least another year or two before updating becomes an obvious benefit.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Time was you could double your processing speed by updating every two or three years

time was, your new $5K machine was an obsolete relic before you got it home and unpacked.

I remember upgrading from a 286 to a 386 was like trading a bicycle in for a Corvette

1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Remember "overdrive processors"? 

remember when you had to buy a special math chip to run cad/cam software??

back then it seemed like you were busting out another $1000 every other day :D

1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

When I was six ('81) my dad got an IBM PC with the math coprocessor, CGI graphics card, dual floppy drives, expanded memory (640K), 20MB hard drive and tape backup combo.  I was spoiled.

what did that cost?  $6K???

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 4:06 PM, gcode said:

remember when you had to buy a special math chip to run cad/cam software??

back then it seemed like you were busting out another $1000 every other day :D

yep.....$1000 for a 386/40 with a math co-processor....

...another $1000 for a "SUPER" VGA monitor with a 800 resolution...sucker was half the size of a desk....and twice as heavy....

My first PC was an 8086...kit build...

Then finally broke the bank and bought a 286/12....cant believe they are still selling those MB's on Ebay....