Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

EIA program workshifts vs Mazatrol program Z offset (workshifts)

Laebs

Our company wants to began using Mastercam 2018 Lathe to program our Mazak Quick Turn Nexus 250-11 MSY .  I feel I have to say that the Mazatrol floor guys are very upset so there will be no help from them and I do understand where they are coming from.

I have never used a Mazak Lathe in G code or Mazatrol  :cry:  Yikes I know.  Still the fact remains they want this done and I have to get it done.  It is my job.  That said, I have been machining since I was 19 years old and am 46 now.  I am very excited to learn. 

It is programming!  Tool geometry, speeds, and feeds they are all the same.  Mastercam will handle the coding for me, right?  I think my biggest challenge will be knowing how to get around on the machine controls to set up the workshifts and touch off the tools etc.  If anyone out there could give me some advice or tell me where to find information on what to look for or expect I would be very grateful.  If what I wondered about aloud above is crazy talk please also let me know.

Thank you guys so much

Program it using EIA, but use the Mazatrol for controlling the tools. Now the code will be easy to understand and run and requires nothing different from a machine stand point for controlling the tools that is currently being used. Might need some parameters changed to allow for this, but easy stuff not days or even weeks a good Tech should be able in less than an hour get it sorted. Workoffets will be easy also they will have a page for them to work from the EIA side and then they will still have their Mazatrol for things as this transitions. Expect sabotage and things to mysteriously happen so to protect you from that keep a copy of everything you send to the machine and second an issue happens go to the machine and download the programs and settings from the machine. Then present the facts to management where and what got changed if they do. Sorry to think that way, but I have had this happen more times than I care to say. Two times this happen management sided with the people who did this since they were senior people. Told me what I needed to know and never did work with those companies again.

Not crazy talk and think the company has done a good thing and I will say if you can get the Mazatrol guys to want to learn the Mastercam and the company is on board with it then make it point to push and support them. People working together always get more accomplished than those working against each other.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Expect sabotage and things to mysteriously happen so to protect you from that keep a copy of everything you send to the machine and second an issue happens go to the machine and download the programs and settings from the machine.

I've seen this happen...thankfully, the place I'm at now, the Integrex guys work with me and I with them.....

There will be some parameter changes but your Mazak dealer can get you right through those....once those are ironed out, workshifts are straight forward....

Mazak EIA sometimes is not setup very well out of the box, there are a lot of parameter changes that tell the G-code which Mazatrol parameters to use. (IE use Mazatrol wear comp or eia wear comp.

The best way I have come across is setting the machine up so that Tool and WPC are used on the Mazatrol side, Extended work offsets can be used any time by calling G54, G55, etc.

I also have customers who use Mazatrol as main program and EIA sub's for each path, as using EIA Restart on Mazak is about 12 button presses.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, Codeworx said:

I also have customers who use Mazatrol as main program and EIA sub's for each path, as using EIA Restart on Mazak is about 12 button presses.

I throw a GOTO at the beginning and they key a block number in a macro variable.  Fast and easy, I also store the last block number ran in a macro variable so any one can at least see the last op started.  Old production habits die hard.

• 3 years later...
On 6/6/2018 at 6:35 AM, Codeworx said:

Mazak EIA sometimes is not setup very well out of the box, there are a lot of parameter changes that tell the G-code which Mazatrol parameters to use. (IE use Mazatrol wear comp or eia wear comp.

The best way I have come across is setting the machine up so that Tool and WPC are used on the Mazatrol side, Extended work offsets can be used any time by calling G54, G55, etc.

Codeworx, can you point me in the direction of the parameters to control which work offsets the machine can see. Currently the machine defaults to g53.5 and I cannot override with g52 to use 54 or any other work offset. 

1 hour ago, Jchesher said:

Codeworx, can you point me in the direction of the parameters to control which work offsets the machine can see. Currently the machine defaults to g53.5 and I cannot override with g52 to use 54 or any other work offset. 

A call to your local Mazak Center will get you those answers.

• 1 year later...