Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I need a bad@ss plunge rough tool

Smit

Can anybody recommend a good plunge roughing tool to remove material in a hurry from a 1 1/4" slot? Very good tool life is more important than material removal.

The cast material is to the height of the slot so I'm going to have to remove the stock on both the flat and the the slot. The material is 304 Stainless and we also do some of cast carbon steel. The machine is a Mazak MT-V-515, 50 taper and 20 horsepower. 6000 RPM max.

I'm thinking that plunging might be the way to get the material out quickest but I'm definitely open for new ideas.

image.png.01e9ed03300714654a590e013dfda44d.png

Is that "600 rpm" a typo? Our V515 has 6,000 rpm...

Do you have other applications where you could put that Plunge Rougher to work? I'd hate to see you spend a whole bunch of money for a tool that is only used in "1 off" application.

This feature does not look very deep, compared to the width. I really don't consider Plunge Roughing a "better" strategy, until the Depth to Diameter ratio exceeds 4:1. If you are below 4:1, then why not just use a Solid Carbide tool?

I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what a good 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" endmill from a company like Helical can do.

A good 5 flute, variable pitch endmill, with chip breakers, would be a good solution.

Can you show us a picture of the whole part? What other features need to be cut, or are you only concerned with the area you are showing us?

• Like 1

Yes, a typo, sorry. It's 6000 RPM.

We do have a large number of similar parts to this one so I can justify spending some money if I find a tool worth it. We run thousands of similar parts thru the year. Some need to be extended, other don't need it.

The depth is approximately 1.2", and there are 4 identical areas on each corner. On this particular part there is a "leg" beside the pocket so the tool has to be extended more than ideal.

I mentioned this is a casting so there is some abrasive roughness on the outside of the part.

The other features of the part are pretty simple. Drilling and face milling. The slot in the picture is the only "problem" area.

:Edit: Also, a very limiting factor is the memory size of this machine. It won't hold a moderate size dynamic toolpath.

44 minutes ago, Smit said:

The depth is approximately 1.2", and there are 4 identical areas on each corner. On this particular part there is a "leg" beside the pocket so the tool has to be extended more than ideal.

What is "more than ideal"?  I've used 1/2 dia 7flt imco endmills ith a 1.5" loc - 1.75 projected - and was able to still get a pretty high metal removal rate using dynamic roughing.