Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fill holes

mirek1017

I haven't installed 2019 yet, but I believe powersurface is there as standard now.  Powersurface is also available as far back as 2017 with the verisurf tools.  But I think you need the reverse trial or some such thing to use it.  I'll install it and see if I can patch it and export it for you.  No need to send over the solid. I was asking becuase sometimes it is easier to patch a solid than a surface body.

35 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Murlin,

In short how do you go about keeping the edge and blend data?

Use blended splines to rebuild the average curves.      Un-trim and retrim as many surfaces as possible. 

As you can see by pic, a blended spline between existing edge splines will allow net surface or coons to rebuild a fairly accurate and tangent surface.

2018-06-12_12-02-33.jpg

• Like 1

I figured that was what you were doing.  I have been doing that for a few years now, patching our pita organic models....  I think powersurface would work well in this case if the imported geo was clean.  Untrim, retrim has been my goto starting place for some time now.  Creating net or coons surfaces that are truly curvature continuous or tangent has been a big struggle for me.

13 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

I figured that was what you were doing.  I have been doing that for a few years now, patching our pita organic models....  I think powersurface would work well in this case if the imported geo was clean.  Untrim, retrim has been my goto starting place for some time now.  Creating net or coons surfaces that are truly curvature continuous or tangent has been a big struggle for me.

I just installed 2019 on my laptop and have it beside me to test things....

Power surface looks cool and it is fast...however it still created slightly wrinkled surfaces in this particular instance...

I moved the sliders around and it still didn't look good to me.

But I didn't try just patching the 3 middle surfs with net and power surf the end holes...

I haven't used it enough to finesse the process.

You can see by the lighting effects when you rotate the part around that there are very few imperfections doing it the old school way.

Creating net or coons surfaces that are truly curvature continuous or tangent has been a big struggle for me.

Ya coons is pretty complicated...but the net function is really good...you dont have to have all the splines trimmed either...just pick single or partials in the correct order and 

Net gets it done.

Power surface looks very promising though..and yes surface model has huge gaps and uneven trims...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Müřlıń® said:

Power surface looks very promising though..and yes surface model has huge gaps and uneven trims...

I think the gaps and uneven trims are the main reason power surface is having trouble.  When I get a chance I am going to play with it a bit more.  But I think a good tutorial from CNC or Verisurf would be very helpful now that they have rolled it out.  The what's new vids don't do it much justice.

• Like 1

as usual , if you want a good result , you have to put in some work.  My first shot at this  with Power Surf  was good enough  to cover the hole but was not aesthetic.. "Divide et impera" worked here quite well . When I broke every hole into three separate Power Surfs , the result is good looking.  As usual with any complex tool you have to learn how to use it by trial and error.

MY quota for uploading is now so small , I only got to upload a sliver of the whole thing 

ff2.png.0b5668a18df78594d84bd92213dc7eee.png

Gracjan

9 hours ago, pullo said:

as usual , if you want a good result , you have to put in some work.  My first shot at this  with Power Surf  was good enough  to cover the hole but was not aesthetic.. "Divide et impera" worked here quite well . When I broke every hole into three separate Power Surfs , the result is good looking.  As usual with any complex tool you have to learn how to use it by trial and error.

MY quota for uploading is now so small , I only got to upload a sliver of the whole thing 

ff2.png.0b5668a18df78594d84bd92213dc7eee.png

Gracjan

You can delete old stuff. Why I use Dropbox for any thing forum related to file. I will go back and clean out old postings from time to time so get back some room.