Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Milling, Retract

Threept82

You could try setting the retract in the cut parameters to "when avoiding a boundary or exceeding a distance" then set the gap size to an allowable distance traveled. If the move exceeds the distance it will retract,

1 hour ago, Threept82 said:

Is there a way to do Dynamic Milling but have the tool retract above part and go to next position rather then backing up at depth?

Just as a matter of interest for these toolpaths:

Rapid and feed moves are executed by separate parts of the machine control. So as the code switches between rapid and feed there is some delay. How long the delay is depends on the quality of the components. Standard Haas components you can see the delay, on higher end machines it is relatively un-noticeable.

The general rule of thumb is that anything less than about 4 inches (of actual travel) it is actually faster to stay in feed, not retract and up the feed rate to about 500 - 1000 ipm for the "return" to your next cut as you bypass the control switching and the full retract.

So I will generally set "gap" at 4 inches and "retract if avoiding boundary or exceeding distance"

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Just as a matter of interest for these toolpaths:

Rapid and feed moves are executed by separate parts of the machine control. So as the code switches between rapid and feed there is some delay. How long the delay is depends on the quality of the components. Standard Haas components you can see the delay, on higher end machines it is relatively un-noticeable.

The general rule of thumb is that anything less than about 4 inches (of actual travel) it is actually faster to stay in feed, not retract and up the feed rate to about 500 - 1000 ipm for the "return" to your next cut as you bypass the control switching and the full retract.

So I will generally set "gap" at 4 inches and "retract if avoiding boundary or exceeding distance"

Be very careful as you also want to make sure you are using the ACCEL-DECEL on those cuts and have a good tolerance to avoid the part. I like kicking up to .25 or even .5 just to be sure I don't get accidental clipping and cuts even on high end machines too small of a value will clip your part at 1500 ipm back feed rates.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

Be very careful as you also want to make sure you are using the ACCEL-DECEL on those cuts and have a good tolerance to avoid the part. I like kicking up to .25 or even .5 just to be sure I don't get accidental clipping and cuts even on high end machines too small of a value will clip your part at 1500 ipm back feed rates.

Good call by Ron, and just to clarify Min. Toolpath Radius is the control here (in parameters) for ensuring part clearance, and don't forget microlift if you are not "over air".

One last thing always keep Min Toolpath Radius at least 2x the Stepover as extra insurance against part clipping.....

• Like 1

nickbe10, that is basically what I do.  My distance is 6in and I always set my min radius to 2x stepover.  Sometimes larger if I plan to go back and pick the corners any way.  Practically all of my HSM experience is in Mazaks and I set the "accuracy slider" at 50% or in the middle (that will make sense for Yamazaki users).  Any lower and you will clip the part or leave material where you don't expect it.  Any higher and the machine becomes painfully slow.  I generally run G61.1 in the Mazaks and therefore it never clips the part any way as that keeps it's feeds within acceptable amounts even if commanded at 3000ipm.  Some machines, like a 510 are insanely fast and some machines like an E1600 are painfully slow due to size.  You have to program for the machine at hand.  The E1600 is significantly faster with traditional paths where you sink an endmill and let it eat.  It's too big and slow to move fast.  The little 510s... 100/100/GO and get out of the way :lol::blink:

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Threept82 said:

ACCEL-DECEL?

Why do I not see that anywhere?

Because those are "Control" settings. Typically, we are choosing the M-codes with the Miscellaneous Integers/Real Numbers (misc values), in the toolpath, and the Post Processor then enables/disables the ACCEL-DECEL M-codes.

If you look at the MPMaster Post, MR1 is setup to control the various "High Speed Modes". There are 4 different "types" of High Speed codes that are supported.

You need to figure out what modes your actual Control supports. Then it is a simple matter of setting the MR values correctly, on the Misc Values page.

The part clipping is mainly caused by the "retract corner" settings, being "too close" to the "part clearance" setting.

My "default" rule is to use a 10:1 ratio between the "part clearance" setting, and the "Curl radius". So if my Part Clearance is "0.500", then I'd use "0.05" for my Curl up, and Curl down settings.

• Like 1