Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2019 tool manager DXF files

MIL-TFP-41

There are a pair of overlapping entities in that DXF file.

I opened it into MC and when viewed in the top plane, at X = -2.874 there is actually a pair of lines where only one of them is necessary. The short one has length 0.0394.

I can't answer for why 2018 handles it differently than 2019, but it's bound to cause problems. Are you using a different chaining tolerance in 2018 than in 2019?

I cleaned up that odd entity and still no luck in 2019.

Chaining tolerance is the same from 2018 to 2019

It appears that none of my dxf files from 2018 and earlier work in 2019

Even with the most basic of files it does not seem to be working

are there any other options for creating a holder (besides using the tool mamager to create step by step)?

BT40-ER16H-100.dxf

test.dxf

Hmm, works in the stand alone manager

Hy81jUk.png

Just created a new holder in the Mastercam internal tool manager, worked for me as wel

:headscratch:

Edited by Guest
On 6/22/2018 at 1:42 PM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Are you creating a custom tool by importing the file to the Tool Manager, or are you opening the file in Mastercam and specifying the level that the wireframe is on?

I couldn't get it to create a custom tool either way in MC2018 or MC2019.

So ... I'll run it by the 'tool team' here.

I am importing into the Tool Manager. The sample file I put here works perfectly in 2018.

in 2019 all I get is the error.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mayday said:

seems silly it works within MC but not Tool Manager 

I may be wrong, but I believe this would require an extra license and royalty payment to enable step files

in the Stand Alone manager.

That is the only reason I can think of as to why we can't import step files.

It sure diminishes the usefulness of the stand alone tool manager 

On 10/23/2018 at 6:46 AM, The Chipmaker said:

I can't get the DXF way to work , but I can create them in the stand alone. The problem I have is how do you assign the holder in tool manager? I can merge them in on a level and use that, but I want to assign them thru the tool manager. Good luck everyone.

Click the assembly button on the ribbon in the standalone tool manager. This creates a new tool assembly. You can see the assembly tree now down in the bottom left. Then, go to your holder library, and drag a holder onto the assembly tree. Then drag a tool from your tool library onto the assembly tree. You now have a holder/tool as an assembly, and if you open this library in Mastercam, it will show as an assembly. (See radio button options on lower right half of Mastercam tool manager in a file to filter between just tools, tools with holders (assemblies), or both.)

To set projection (stickout) of an assembly in the standalone tool manager, hover over the holder in the graphics display. When you see the little up/triangle icon appear, hold Ctrl and click on the holder, and then you can drag around and set tool projection. This way, this is all set up in your library when you load it into a file- no screwing around with holders and projection distances when you first start creating operations.

• Like 1