Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Computer

IT is looking to purchase  this desktop computer for me.  Any thoughts on how HP is working with Mastercam these days.  I have been using Dell for the Past  eight years but our company is shying away from Dell because they are starting to phase out windows 7 and we are not ready to switch to windows 10.  Right off the bat I would ask IT to upgrade the RAM from 16 gigs to 32 gigs. Also any thoughts on the Quadro M2000 video card.  I thought M was for mobile as in laptop but I could be wrong.  Price is  about $1900.  Anything else out there for around this price or maybe a little higher that would work better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here are the specs and a link.

Main Features
  • MT
  • 1 x Core i7 6700 / 3.4 GHz
  • RAM 16 GB
  • SSD 512 GB
  • HP Z Turbo Drive G2
  • DVD SuperMulti
  • Quadro M2000
  • GigE
  • Win 7 Pro 64-bit (includes Win 10 Pro 64-bit License)
  • vPro
  • monitor: none
  • keyboard: US
  • Smart Buy

That Quadro M2000 is a 2 year old model.

The new Quadros are the P series (Pascal)

I have an old M4000 in my work machine and a new P4000 in my home machine

The difference is night and day, especially  when running Verify or CGtech  Vericut

I would insist on a P2000 at the very least, but you really should get the P4000

27 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

64GB of RAM and P4000 Card would be 2 things right off the bat. M.2 SSD would be the next thing. Yes Stay with Win & as long as you can. Win10 is okay and use it, but will take Win 7 any day of the week.

Agree here, just make sure the M.2 is a NVME drive. I think you should look for more clock speed on the processor as well. Depends on the file sizes you generally work with but for what I run I'd rather drop the ram down and put the money into a faster processor, if money is becoming an issue. If your files are usually on the larger side I would opt for more ram though. Clock speed is king for crunching tool paths in Mcam.

Kevin K.

I'm running an i7 6700K at 4.5GHz in my 2.5 year old workstation.  If I were buying new I'd get an i7 8700K or 8086K and overclock as far as it will reliably go:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you're not up to doing it yourself you can buy pre-overclocked machines, and the 20-30% boost you get is definitely worth it.

I'm also using an M4000, two Samsung 950 Pro SSD's, and 64GB RAM.  Win7 Pro.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Justin Beebe at Folsom Tool said:

gcode,

How is the Boxx Appexx brand working out for you.  Do they come with windows 7? I was just checking out their website.

We have 8 of them at my day job, the oldest nearly 4 years old now and I purchased one for myself for my contract work at home.

To date we have had zero trouble with any of them.

I've only used Customer Service once.

I though I had a bad USB port and they were all over it. To my embarrassment a bad USB cable was the cause.

I just checked their web site and did not see Win 7 offered, but we just bought another one about 4 months ago and we got it

with Win 7.  I would guess Win7 is still available, but is a special order now.

• Thanks 1

Sounds pretty good gcode. 

IT gave the approval for a system with widows 10 because the I7 8700 processors do not support windows 7.   I found this from CPU Solutions. I can get it with 64 Gigs of RAM for around $2850. It says its a video editing computer but it seems to have everything that would make a good Cad/Cam computer.

Here are the specs and link:

Customization Available:: Basic Customization
Intel I7 8700 4.7 GHz
Video Chipset: Quadro P4000
Interfaces/Ports: DP 1.4 (4)
CPU Socket: H4 LGA-1151
CPU Type: 8th Gen Core i7 
MPN: CEV-5766
Brand: CPU Solutions
Case Size: Mid Tower
Memory Size: 32GB  ----------This will be upgraded to 64 GIgs
Memory Speed: 2666
Storage Capacity: 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD & 2TB HDD

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going to be building a new computer for Mastercam 2019 in the near future. We do a lot of 5 axis work and regen time after every little change takes up to 10 minutes for some toolpaths. Our current system is an i7-6700 with 16gb of ram. 

From what I have read so far, it is better to get a gaming style CPU with less cores and higher clock speed rather than a workstation/server CPU with more cores and lower clock speed?

I can build an 8086k, Xeon, Threadripper or Ryzen 2700x system with 64gb of ram, Quadro P4000, Samsung 970 Pro for $2500-3500. Would it be beneficial for future proofing this system to go with more cores or go with the 8086k and overclock it. 

15 hours ago, ksbranch said:

I am going to be building a new computer for Mastercam 2019 in the near future. We do a lot of 5 axis work and regen time after every little change takes up to 10 minutes for some toolpaths. Our current system is an i7-6700 with 16gb of ram. 

From what I have read so far, it is better to get a gaming style CPU with less cores and higher clock speed rather than a workstation/server CPU with more cores and lower clock speed?

I can build an 8086k, Xeon, Threadripper or Ryzen 2700x system with 64gb of ram, Quadro P4000, Samsung 970 Pro for $2500-3500. Would it be beneficial for future proofing this system to go with more cores or go with the 8086k and overclock it. 

So far, Mastercam loves the clock speed over the # of cores.  Mastercam said (a while ago) that they were going to run a comparison test between the ThreadRipper vs the i7 but as far as i know they haven't posted the results.

The 8086k would be a great choice.

You could get the chip from Silicon Lottery to ensure it'll overclock the way you want.  There's also OriginPC that will build a pre-overclocked system for you, at an overclocked price, but I don't think they guarantee any specific level of overclock, you just get what they're able to get out of that particular chip.