Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports Designer

Roger

I started customizing my set-up sheets, and have been trying to have it pull the program number from the machine group properties tool settings (see image). Is this possible?  If so, can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

I'm modifying the mill2 rpx setup sheet.

Untitled.jpg

Doesn't appear to be in the data set for mill2.  This is something I personally would like very much to better understand.  How to add items to the data set.

I believe the data set is defined by CNC Software.  I'm not sure if we can add items to that.  That would be very nice if we could though.  If you go in the help menu of the ActiveReports Designer and search for Tag Glossary it will list the items you can pull from those predefined data sets.  This is how I typically find items I want to add to a setup sheet in the past as it helps narrowing it down to what group so you can find the item you are looking for.

It appears you can pull the program number as it is listed in the data set under OPERATION-L, OPERATION-M, & OPERATION-W.  Looking at this it appears "L" indicates Lathe, "M" for Mill and "W" for Wire

image.png.ff4027535146e538b6a72455ec8ad9d9.png

1 hour ago, Chris Lang In-House Solutions said:

I believe the data set is defined by CNC Software.  I'm not sure if we can add items to that.  That would be very nice if we could though.  If you go in the help menu of the ActiveReports Designer and search for Tag Glossary it will list the items you can pull from those predefined data sets.  This is how I typically find items I want to add to a setup sheet in the past as it helps narrowing it down to what group so you can find the item you are looking for.

It appears you can pull the program number as it is listed in the data set under OPERATION-L, OPERATION-M, & OPERATION-W.  Looking at this it appears "L" indicates Lathe, "M" for Mill and "W" for Wire

image.png.ff4027535146e538b6a72455ec8ad9d9.png

Thanks Chris for looking into this!  In your post, are you saying you believe it is possible to do this?  If so, I would need some instructions.  This is me, when working with the Active Reports Designer........:wacko::blink::cry:

• Like 1

I use the nc file short version so all I get is the short form program name like "1234-1.nc" in that top left red circle.

To get that value extracted from mastercam you look through the "fields" categories which is in the box in the upper right corner. Find NCFILE-SHORT from that list and drag it onto the page anywhere you would like it and it should show up with the preview button. From there its just a matter of formatting everything how you like. This is all covered by the nice tutorial on active reports on the mastercam website btw with examples in the sst folder on how cnc software made their template setup sheets.

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, gms1 said:

This is all covered by the nice tutorial on active reports on the mastercam website btw with examples in the sst folder on how cnc software made their template setup sheets.

Thanks, I will look at that.  At first I couldn't find it, (It's under the 2018 tutorials). 

So.....I downloaded the PDF tutorial, and started looking at it.........This has 166 pages, and the tutorial takes 6 HOURS to complete!  And you should have a familiarity with XML

(I don't), I guess this will have to wait...........

I do appreciate all the responses!  Thanks forum members!! 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Wow i had no idea it took that long to complete that. But at the end when I did it I had a pretty good grasp of what I needed to get done and just came here with some questions to hammer it home with stuff that wasn't covered in that tutorial and did a lot of futzing around to get what I wanted.

Active reports still leaves a lot out of what I would like to see in it but at least it gives me something to go on to save me some time.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys I have open this up again because I'm trying to do the same thing that Roger was doing in this initial thread.

The XML Tag "PROG-NUM" Does not produce a result. When I run the set-up sheet it continues to remain blank. I input the tag Correctly in the "Data Field". I have put in other XML tag with success but this one I can't seem to get it to work. Inputting the XML Tag "NCFILE-SHORT"  recommended by "gms1" does not produce a result either. However his "Data Field" shown in his picture is actually "NCFILE/NCFILE-SHORT" and this outputs the NCI filename followed by .NC so my set-up sheet is reading "Fixture Plate OP40.nci.nc" 

So the question is How to Get the program number to output on the Set-up Sheet?

• Like 1

Okay, the short answer should be:  NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

But here is how to find a tag for an XML file.  Some of the older reports are using outdated XML tags and I don’t believe that the help file is up to date for 2019

To find and verify a tag name in an XML file for Mastercam Active Reports:

For this example we will be looking for a Program number.

Select the operations in your Mastercam file and then right click and select “Change program number”

Enter 1277 ( a random unique number)

Now let’s map the entire data set from a Mastercam file using “The Secret Handshake”

Right mouse click in the Operations manager and select setup sheet.

Select the setup sheet that you want to run.

Hold down the control key and click on the Green Check box

You will be asked three questions:

Deactivate RPX Parser?                 Answer: No

Display messages?                          Answer: No

Write ALL data to XML file?          Answer: Yes

At this point all of the data from the Mastercam file will be written to the XML file.  This may take a while if there are many operations.  Normally Mastercam will only write the data needed from the RPX report and leave the rest out.

Navigate to c:\Users\Public\Public documents\shared Mcam2019\common\reports\XML

Sort by date and locate the XML file that you just created.

Open Chrome and drag and drop the XML file into Chrome.

It may take a few minutes depending on the size, but you should see the XML in a “document tree” format.

From here you can search for 1277 (the number that we entered above for the program number)

You should see:    <PROG-NUM>1277</PROG-NUM>

You can also see the hierarchy of where the data is located. 

In this case the PROG-NUM is located in OPERATION, which is located in NCFILE

If you have tried entering just PROG-NUM into the ActiveReports Designer and it doesn’t print out the Program number we will have to go to the next step.

In ActiveReports Designer, open the report that you want to modify.

Select the report data source icon and then navigate to the XML directory and select the XML file that we created earlier.

SNAG-0016.png.fc95651286d920b5aa707aa57634b5e5.png

Click Okay

Now go to the Fields branch of the tree and start expanding, Bound, Document, SETUPSHEET, NCFILE, OPERATION

You should see the PROG-NUM field listed there.

SNAG-0018.png.1ee3cf30bfbb65b2a210b1588266db3a.png

Drag and drop it onto the report.  You will see that the path is maintained and shows up as NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

Re run the setup sheet and you should see the program number show up.

So the short answer is:  NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

If you want to find the NC file Name without the .NCI, Search in the Chrome XML file for the program name that you entered and you will see several occurrences of it.  The one that you want without the .NCI is:  NCIFILE-NAME

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 1/29/2019 at 10:58 PM, Bill Craven said:

Okay, the short answer should be:  NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

But here is how to find a tag for an XML file.  Some of the older reports are using outdated XML tags and I don’t believe that the help file is up to date for 2019

To find and verify a tag name in an XML file for Mastercam Active Reports:

For this example we will be looking for a Program number.

Select the operations in your Mastercam file and then right click and select “Change program number”

Enter 1277 ( a random unique number)

Now let’s map the entire data set from a Mastercam file using “The Secret Handshake”

Right mouse click in the Operations manager and select setup sheet.

Select the setup sheet that you want to run.

Hold down the control key and click on the Green Check box

You will be asked three questions:

Deactivate RPX Parser?                 Answer: No

Display messages?                          Answer: No

Write ALL data to XML file?          Answer: Yes

At this point all of the data from the Mastercam file will be written to the XML file.  This may take a while if there are many operations.  Normally Mastercam will only write the data needed from the RPX report and leave the rest out.

Navigate to c:\Users\Public\Public documents\shared Mcam2019\common\reports\XML

Sort by date and locate the XML file that you just created.

Open Chrome and drag and drop the XML file into Chrome.

It may take a few minutes depending on the size, but you should see the XML in a “document tree” format.

From here you can search for 1277 (the number that we entered above for the program number)

You should see:    <PROG-NUM>1277</PROG-NUM>

You can also see the hierarchy of where the data is located. 

In this case the PROG-NUM is located in OPERATION, which is located in NCFILE

If you have tried entering just PROG-NUM into the ActiveReports Designer and it doesn’t print out the Program number we will have to go to the next step.

In ActiveReports Designer, open the report that you want to modify.

Select the report data source icon and then navigate to the XML directory and select the XML file that we created earlier.

SNAG-0016.png.fc95651286d920b5aa707aa57634b5e5.png

Click Okay

Now go to the Fields branch of the tree and start expanding, Bound, Document, SETUPSHEET, NCFILE, OPERATION

You should see the PROG-NUM field listed there.

SNAG-0018.png.1ee3cf30bfbb65b2a210b1588266db3a.png

Drag and drop it onto the report.  You will see that the path is maintained and shows up as NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

Re run the setup sheet and you should see the program number show up.

So the short answer is:  NCFILE/OPERATION/PROG-NUM

If you want to find the NC file Name without the .NCI, Search in the Chrome XML file for the program name that you entered and you will see several occurrences of it.  The one that you want without the .NCI is:  NCIFILE-NAME

Bill, I'm hoping for some help on this. Disclaimer, I'm trying to set this up for 2021 and I'm unsure if that makes a difference. 

I'm trying to get the NC File Name into the setup sheet. I tried every variation of the tag (using both NCIFILE input and NCFILE input) I could think of to no avail. I'm currently working on the XML method bit but I've discovered that although NCFILE-NAME is present in the XML, when I drag and drop it gives an empty field instead of the program name. I can use NCIFILE-NAME, and it might do for now, but it's not optimal because we're picky types in this machine shop. 

I'm also wondering if there's any way to change the formatting so that different program names doesn't break tools out into separate sheets? I'd like to keep everything together if possible.

XML DATA.png

XML FIELDS.png

NCI-SHORT.png

EMPTY FIELD.png

6 hours ago, nperry said:

Bill, I'm hoping for some help on this. Disclaimer, I'm trying to set this up for 2021 and I'm unsure if that makes a difference. 

I'm trying to get the NC File Name into the setup sheet. I tried every variation of the tag (using both NCIFILE input and NCFILE input) I could think of to no avail. I'm currently working on the XML method bit but I've discovered that although NCFILE-NAME is present in the XML, when I drag and drop it gives an empty field instead of the program name. I can use NCIFILE-NAME, and it might do for now, but it's not optimal because we're picky types in this machine shop. 

I'm also wondering if there's any way to change the formatting so that different program names doesn't break tools out into separate sheets? I'd like to keep everything together if possible.

NPerry,

2021 shouldn't be an issue unless you are updating from an older version.

I need more information:

Which Template set are you using?

Have you modified them much?

I am not sure that I understand your last question.  Are you trying to generate a setup sheet with tools listed or a tool sheet?

Active reports are based upon the hierarchy of the reports.  

The main template may have links to one or more sub templates.  These sub templates may have links to one or more or their own sub templates.

This hierarchy affects many things.  Sometimes certain fields won't print because they are being called from a sub template or report but they aren't properly linked to the report above it, so it shows up as an empty field.  This is probably also where the sheets are breaking into separate sheets.  (The first report acts like a header and then calls the sub report which starts a new page.  Getting the format correct in the calling report will keep the sub reports from starting a new page.)

I have different main templates that call different sub templates.  I am very careful to try to name the templates for all of the templates for a particular report  the same, even though I may be re-using some of the sub reports without modification.  By doing this, if I do change a sub template, I don't corrupt other reports.  

5 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

NPerry,

2021 shouldn't be an issue unless you are updating from an older version.

I need more information:

Which Template set are you using?

Have you modified them much?

I am not sure that I understand your last question.  Are you trying to generate a setup sheet with tools listed or a tool sheet?

Active reports are based upon the hierarchy of the reports.  

The main template may have links to one or more sub templates.  These sub templates may have links to one or more or their own sub templates.

This hierarchy affects many things.  Sometimes certain fields won't print because they are being called from a sub template or report but they aren't properly linked to the report above it, so it shows up as an empty field.  This is probably also where the sheets are breaking into separate sheets.  (The first report acts like a header and then calls the sub report which starts a new page.  Getting the format correct in the calling report will keep the sub reports from starting a new page.)

I have different main templates that call different sub templates.  I am very careful to try to name the templates for all of the templates for a particular report  the same, even though I may be re-using some of the sub reports without modification.  By doing this, if I do change a sub template, I don't corrupt other reports.  

Bill, 

I believe I'm just using the original "Mill" template. I've done an absolute ton of modification!

What I have it configured for is a very basic setup sheet...super minimal. So while it is derived from Active Reports it looks more like an in-depth tool sheet.

I think the hierarchy I have in place is correct. For this particular setup sheet I'm pulling data from both the tool and operation fields and the output is fantastic. In the first column, however, I want to pull the NCFILE-NAME from the NCFILE field. Using tags or XML data I'm having success with pulling other data in from the NCFILE field (see my output with MACHINE-NAME BELOW). 

MACH NAME.png

Mr. Perry,

You are almost there.  (Great job BTW)

In your -Setup Sheet (Mill-file-T).rpx file, you need to "seed" the NCFiILE-NAME

I expanded the report area temporarily to insert the new data field

image.png.abbcbbedb957095e8e68d33ec0327e39.png

visibility is False.  The NCFILE-NAME doesn't need anything in front of it.

image.png.5dfc99fdf365eacb23a1904b3a6c3109.png

Then slide the bottom of the report back up to where it was originally

image.png.41f81a3a69ccb6ab5f2cb6844c8dc588.png

Now you can modify the -Setup Sheet (Mill-operation-T) template by adding the NCFILE-NAME data field.

image.png.8bdd643b289ab55c904d39cda0f0c007.png

image.png.9e308342083f4c0925d47d6ce8e5ec45.png

The field needs to be entered as ../NCFILE-NAME  (pay attention to the ../)

Now the report will properly show the program name without the extension

image.png.1f37db953051981d84f510ba4bd111c3.png

However, If you mix an operation with a different NC file name, it will start a new page.

image.thumb.png.30384e771ad394cd1e9606892758636b.png

I'll have to dig a little deeper when I have a few minutes and try to remember how I have done this in the past.  

I haven't done anything with Active reports for a year and at my age...

• Thanks 1

I'm glad that I've found this topic ,

anybody find a way to change the default "save as" name, now it's the machine description, i need i to be "NCFILE/OPERATION/TOOLPATH-GROUP-NAME"  ? 

TIA   it's nearly 2AM here, I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix but i did not find it... ☕

Sans titre.jpg

1 hour ago, Goldorak said:

NCFILE/OPERATION/TOOLPATH-GROUP-NAME

I did a test of the datafield You want and it is working, at least for me in this test

This is the first report in my setup sheet, the setupsheet node.

Skjermbilde20.thumb.JPG.a6559405c251f10db0b0b31c9aad0286.JPG

From the toolpath group name:

Skjermbilde21.JPG.f5068c4a1d9647632fe6b2b1f82997f2.JPG

on the setupsheet report:

Skjermbilde22.JPG.88acde0afd5c92db09ea36f723592878.JPG

Or is it another tag you want to define?

G

I believe what Monsieur Goldorak is asking is:  After the Active report has been generated and you want to save the report as a PDF, the default name offered is the machine name.

He wants to save the report with the Toolpath Group Name 

image.png.ec0e2125bc6a7f0527fd18682ada9c51.png

image.png.f427f32b670b74ff789dce77fef47a19.png

I don't know any way of changing that to default to the Toolpath group name.

2 hours ago, Bill Craven said:

I believe what Monsieur Goldorak is asking is:  After the Active report has been generated and you want to save the report as a PDF, the default name offered is the machine name.

He wants to save the report with the Toolpath Group Name 

image.png.ec0e2125bc6a7f0527fd18682ada9c51.png

image.png.f427f32b670b74ff789dce77fef47a19.png

Exact

i want to avoid typing the setup sheet name each time 

On 6/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, Bill Craven said:

However, If you mix an operation with a different NC file name, it will start a new page.

I'll have to dig a little deeper when I have a few minutes and try to remember how I have done this in the past.  

I haven't done anything with Active reports for a year and at my age...

For posterity - in the mill-file.rpx file the New Page data in the report detail is defaulted to "Before". If that field is changed to none it won't break the page for each new NC name.

ncnamestogether.png

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Murat Kolik said:

Hello there I made some edits, I created the features I want, but only the first toolpath information is available, other programs do not appear in the report. What should I do? i am using mastercam x8

If you can share a zip2go file it will be easier to check.