Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shared mcam and my mcam on dropbox...

jlw™

Is any one using Dropbox for your shared and my folders?  I really like the sync and I use it for lots and lots of files to work between 3 computers.  It works out great.  So I'm thinking that it would make all 3 computers exactly the same in regards to settings and posts.

Has any one done or is doing this?

I need to look into the details of it, but a batch file or powerscript might be a simple way to take care of this.  It would run any time you log into the computer, or maybe once every half hour, it would take the newest file and move it which ever way it needed to go, into or out of the dropbox folder into the shared folders.  Woudln't be real time, but likely would be plenty up to date.  If you knew you needed to force an update, that would be easy enough to do.

Looks like xcopy /d in a batch file might be all you need to get the job done.  Run it as a scheduled task.  Wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone to make sure that certain mcam config folders stay updated/backed up.  I know I have lost things in the past.  Hell, I might even set it to do this weekly and keep a rolling six months of backups these config files such that I can go back to previous versions if needed.

13 hours ago, jlw™ said:

Yeah, not having the default location is my hang up too.  I don't know if you can specify how to add other folders to dropbox with it not being in the dropbox folder.  I'm going to look into that.

The simplest way would be to install Mastercam, using your local Drop Box as the default shared files location

You could do that on several machines then keep them synced via the cloud drop box.

I have never thought of this, but it's a pretty good idea.

57 minutes ago, gcode said:

The simplest way would be to install Mastercam, using your local Drop Box as the default shared files location

You could do that on several machines then keep them synced via the cloud drop box.

I have never thought of this, but it's a pretty good idea.

This is exactly how I did it when I was contract programming.

Hi. We use google drive for mastercam shared files.

We install mastercam and install the shared files in our google drive folder,  we do this on our computers, and  you can set up individual config files for individual users as long as all shared files is correct set up in your settings.(each user can have their own settings for personal likings)

you have to have same user credentials on both computers so you can access your shared files. ( same user or folders shared in google drive)

I would think dropbox and onedrive from microsoft work the same way, as long as your settings to the shared folders are correct.

i woul like to try those also but google has been stable and ok for us until now

G